Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
That's not a bad price, but it's rubber like a conveyor belt. I doubt that it would slide over the snow half so good as UHMW or other "plastics". Like you said, it's probably better for bumpers and the like.

What I've seen as a cheap alterantive to using UHMW is a truck bed liner. The "plastic" one that people seem to be throwing out in order to coat the inside of the bed of their trucks. I've picked up two 8' long liner recently for free. Scrap yards around here typically sell them for $40 or $50. Hopefully I'll be able to complete my donor sleigh this fall and line the bottom of it with the free liner I picked up.

·
Registered
Custom sleds
1,403 Posts
That's not a bad price, but it's rubber like a conveyor belt. I doubt that it would slide over the snow half so good as UHMW or other "plastics". Like you said, it's probably better for bumpers and the like.

What I've seen as a cheap alterantive to using UHMW is a truck bed liner. The "plastic" one that people seem to be throwing out in order to coat the inside of the bed of their trucks. I've picked up two 8' long liner recently for free. Scrap yards around here typically sell them for $40 or $50. Hopefully I'll be able to complete my donor sleigh this fall and line the bottom of it with the free liner I picked up.
Hi. Yes the Princess auto matts are recycled re-vulcanized rubber. I ordered a couple to try making skid plates for atvs instead of 3/8 UHMW . Other uses would be anti slip strips or racks for sleighs, might try to make a cargo box for my skandic if it's rigid enough or just make a frame from angle irons and frame it, not much different than using 5/8 or 3/4 " plywood.

·
Registered
Custom sleds
1,403 Posts
IPL makes a nice alternative to uhmw but they only sell to the industrial sector. Prices in Canada for uhmw are scary.

Rubber or conveyor belts have no real difference to uhmw as an atv skid plate. Roughly the same friction rate as the ricochet dimpled deck plating style metal skid plates.

The Princess auto mat might be good for making a snow plow . All you need is a frame.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts