Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

2019-2022 850 Etec oil range from full to empty

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2023 MXZ XRS & 2015 GSX 900Ace
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With a new 850 on the way, wondering what everyone is seeing for oil range on the newer 850’s (2019-current). Also, anyone have a good idea of roughly how many miles are left once the light comes on.
I would like to be sensible, as this would be normal trail riding (35-40mph average) not breaking trail, off trail, or riding to the bar for miles on end.

·
Registered
827 Posts
They arent that good on oil. I have never ran out or been worried about running out on the trail BUT I use more oil than my dads Polaris 850 when we are away on trips.

·
Registered
631 Posts
My sled will do 300 miles on a tank.......Extreme pulling a heavy sled. Never did an unloaded long distance run with it to give you those numbers.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I did a pretty spirited ride of ~525 km last year, my light went on briefly over some bumpy terrain. Had ~1/4 tank left. By my math / willingness to push things, I would just not quite make 450 miles.

2018 XRS that's clutched and geared, 1.5" track, all groomed trails.

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
With a new 850 on the way, wondering what everyone is seeing for oil range on the newer 850’s (2019-current). Also, anyone have a good idea of roughly how many miles are left once the light comes on.
I would like to be sensible, as this would be normal trail riding (35-40mph average) not breaking trail, off trail, or riding to the bar for miles on end.
To reiterate what others have said, its dependant on how heavy you are on the throttle and your general behavior. Weather, weight/load, etc will all be variables as well.

I'm in the 300ish mile camp, but I've never ran it down past 1/3 to know for sure.

·
SkiDoo Guru
21,603 Posts
Joe,Just ask Greg as he rode my 2022 850 till he got his 900R late March .

·
Super Moderator
31,653 Posts
Anything over 45mph average is pretty darn fast. For all the guys that "say" they average 60mph, that means you leave the truck at 8am and would have 240 miles on by noon...

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Exactly. I'm the guy that does do 200+ miles before noon and my moving average is typically in the mid to upper 40s. I've been in the 50s a few times but it's pretty rare.

·
Registered
2012 Freeride 137(Sold), 2022 XRS 900 T R(Sold), 2020 FreeRide 154, 2023 Expedition Xtreme 900 T R
3,026 Posts
I might have a poor memory but back in 2012 I took my 800 etec 137 1.75 track on a 900 some mile trip. Full oil tank to oil light on steady was 600 miles of groomed trail. MN speed limit is 50.

Do the 850's use that much more oil?

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
We run pretty hard 80% of the time. Running 30-50mph on wooded trails and 70-100+ on grades and open fields. I think everyone in our group could easily do 400 miles. My 18 was the best on oil as I could go over 500+ miles on a tank judging by the 1/2 line as i never ran it down past 1/3. We have pretty flat groomed trails, lakes and rivers here so there's not much for load. I do seem to get the best oil consumption of anyone and I'm usually leading. The guys leaving the snow piles out of every corner and stop signs seem to be the hardest on the gas and oil in our group, which doesn't make them any faster, spinning ain't winning. The mach and the 900r xrs use about 1.5 more gallons of gas on fill up in our group. They joke about carrying gas cans.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Anything over 45mph average is pretty darn fast. For all the guys that "say" they average 60mph, that means you leave the truck at 8am and would have 240 miles on by noon...

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
I dont get out as much as I would like to but when I do I put on 600 to 800 km a day some times more dont stop for lunch only gas and pee break always carry gas and clothes as never know where I might end up usually by my self my brother some times never with a bunch of people

·
Super Moderator
31,653 Posts
We run pretty hard 80% of the time. Running 30-50mph on wooded trails and 70-100+ on grades and open fields. I think everyone in our group could easily do 400 miles. My 18 was the best on oil as I could go over 500+ miles on a tank judging by the 1/2 line as i never ran it down past 1/3. We have pretty flat groomed trails, lakes and rivers here so there's not much for load. I do seem to get the best oil consumption of anyone and I'm usually leading. The guys leaving the snow piles out of every corner and stop signs seem to be the hardest on the gas and oil in our group, which doesn't make them any faster, spinning ain't winning. The mach and the 900r xrs use about 1.5 more gallons of gas on fill up in our group. They joke about carrying gas cans.
That's some impressive mileage.

On my '18 I've had the low oil light come on in as few as 185 miles. My overall average in a 3,558 mile season was a quart every 85 miles. That's not a typo, that was basically an 11 gallon season.

Do the math on that with today's prices - yikes.

My '19 was better, but that was also the year after my open heart so my pace was a bit slower.

·
Registered
68 Posts
My ‘17 Renegade was definitely better on oil use than my ‘22 Renegade. Aside from the other small stuff I miss on the ‘17, I do miss the less oil consumption.

We did just over 300 miles in a day a couple times last year and my oil was quite low. I ride fairly hard, but it’s no secret these 850’s like their oil. I don’t “want” to use any oil besides XPS, but lemme tell ya- now almost at $70 a gallon, it’s awfully tempting to go with another synthetic that’s around $50.

·
Super Moderator
4,064 Posts
65 miles to 125 miles a quart on the 850's in our group. Depends on the right thumb, (more RPM's is more gas and oil). The configuration has a lot to do with it also. 1.25"x129" or 2.5"x146" or more.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts