Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys did you check out the new indy 550 155 vids? They are pretty direct!

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
That is very interesting. I wonder how reliable the Polaris twin is compared to the Rotax 550. I like the wide skis but they must have been listening to the Expedition riders concerning the wider ski stance. My thoughts are that the top heavy discussion could be due to the extra weight of the ACE compared to the 550 (those who want a wider ski stance). It looks like a better front end for powder than the RF chassis but not as good as the "pogos". However, the discussion on turning capability is interesting. I wonder what one weighs. I like the articulating suspension. I'm guessing that the Tundra must be selling better than I thought for Polaris to come up with a competitor. However, the Tundra's biggest selling point will probably be the ACE.

It would be nice if Polaris would read our desire for a lightweight single 4-stroke, minimal liquid cooling discussion.

Dan

·
Registered
185 Posts
Most excellent topic Gade04. Tundra Man Dan hit the nail on the head by calling out Tundra's 600 ACE as the biggest Bombardier draw. I love my ACE's economy, quietness and clutching. Every one who try's it is very impressed as well.

It sounds like the Indy is the answer per Polaris for those who desire more stability, but one need not go any further than Ski-Dog's Expedition Sport w/600 Ace. More track(w/screw holes), better power plant and the XP chassis with wishbone front suspension.

Was it RavinRat who brought this to my attention last year with his side X side comparison of the Tundra vs. Expedition Sport? His comparison really opened up my eyes.

If Polaris wants to one up Ski Doo, they'll have to copy the 600 ACE for their Indy Recreational sled and keep it as light as their 550 fan.

Of course this is all my opinion and my wife tells me all the time I'm entitled to my own wrong opinion anytime:)

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know here the 550 fuji when it first came out was just a horrible engine, dont see many around, wondering if there reliability is better??? The misses has the 550 tundra, i love playing in the snow with it but on anything hardpacked its just a miserable ride. I'm due for a new ski-doo this fall, and i think i might bite the bullet and order a widetrack for the first time, though the issues with the starters on the ACE is scaring me.

I think if polaris had but the 600 in the 155 i might have taken a second look.

Oh did anyone check the weight comparisons bewteen the indy and the tundra?

Dan i would love to see a SUper light tundra to, nothing is more fun or better for partridge hunting then an oldschool tundra 2!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've been doing my research for a new sled purchase probably next year but still may possibly do a spring order this year. I find it real interesting that polaris now came out with a 155 in track model to compete with the tundra lt. The listed dry weight for the 2014 polaris voyager 144" is 465lbs compared to the 505 lbs for the tundra lt ace.The light weight of the voyager was appealing and now with the 155" track I like it a little better but if I'm going to part with the coin I would like to have a 4 stroke engine. A 4 stroke is just more ideal for the slow speed pulling and trail breaking thru the woods I like to do.

I'm yet to ride a tundra with the 600 ace but I like what I've read and been told by those who own them. The pogo front end is the best in the woods for my use and the narrow stance is a must for being able to slip between trees. I'm concerned about the weight and everyone saying its very tippy though.

·
hater on all xrs and freeride owners that drive li
2,307 Posts
Wonder how they stiffened up the tunnel. The rmk's crack the tunnels at the drop brackets and rear running board supports, and that's with a 2.5 gallon fuel tank.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've only experinced the ACE on the widetrack, very very very impressive gas mileage!! The tundra is a blast to ride in the snow, between trees, pretty much anywhere that doesnt already have a broken trail, that being said i hate driving it on the hardpack, i swear my dads 440 skandic lt drives better!

Ive seen to many of the starters fail here, i think theres only 1 ace left in my town that hasnt had a problem, give me a 4 stroke i can pull over in an emergency and you've got yourself a buyer!!

I really like they look of those polaris skis!!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Voyager
550 155-478 lbs
Tundra Lt
550-483lbs
Ace-505lbs
Expedition Sp
550-515lbs
Ace-537lbs

I like the Indy 550 144" at 429lbs or the summit sport 600 at 438lbs.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I like the wider ski stance for sure. This year my Tundra seems to be more tippy or maybe I am not moving around as much. I'd like to take one off trail here to see the handling. I'm leaning toward the ACE and price point is always an important point. About time someone got back in the bottom end Utiliy market to keep Skidoo thinking and improving.

RR

·
Registered
185 Posts
RR, my Tundra LT 600 ACE is as tippy as the day I bought it. But since I'm rarely in a hurry this has not been an issue. Might you be suffering from my malady? Father Time:) I just ordered a set of rear view mirrors, my first ever on a sno-go because it's been getting harder to turn around while moving to check if my crew is still with me.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
RR, my Tundra LT 600 ACE is as tippy as the day I bought it. But since I'm rarely in a hurry this has not been an issue. Might you be suffering from my malady? Father Time:) I just ordered a set of rear view mirrors, my first ever on a sno-go because it's been getting harder to turn around while moving to check if my crew is still with me.
Just suffering from too short a winter and not enough time off. I put a handlebar mirror on the Lt side of my Tundra. Works pretty good. Got to watch the gas jock is coming up behind you fast.
My buddy just bought the LT and loves it. I need better gas range for the places I go. Pulling a toboggan really eats the gas.

RR

·
Registered
38 Posts
Im not going to lie the 550 Indy Voyageur 155 looks like a potentially awesome sled. Those huge skis look perfect for deep snow flotation, which is especially important to me after the ridiculous amount of snow that fell where I live this year. I have been stuck on my renegade bc 600 more than once and I know wider skis would make a huge difference. The wide ski stance (39 inches) is a great idea as well...the 32 inch stance of the tundra is way too narrow for any speed at all...basically dangerous. Apparently Polaris has been paying attention and I look forward to hearing reviews about this new sled. The only hesitation for me would be I know very little about the 550 fan...by the sounds of it there were some reliability problems earlier...

·
Registered
42 Posts
15" or 16" track?
Like it or not they will sell, and this is the first model year so a possible 4 stroke next year...
It has a windshield that might work.
C'mon Doo and fix the starter and drop 100#s from the Ace models!!!!

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yup what tt said thats what i remember about that engine...piston eating POS....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Having a narrow ski stance is not such a bad thing to me. The most frustrating thing for me when riding in the woods is hooking a ski to a tree.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Im not going to lie the 550 Indy Voyageur 155 looks like a potentially awesome sled. Those huge skis look perfect for deep snow flotation, which is especially important to me after the ridiculous amount of snow that fell where I live this year. I have been stuck on my renegade bc 600 more than once and I know wider skis would make a huge difference. The wide ski stance (39 inches) is a great idea as well...the 32 inch stance of the tundra is way too narrow for any speed at all...basically dangerous. Apparently Polaris has been paying attention and I look forward to hearing reviews about this new sled. The only hesitation for me would be I know very little about the 550 fan...by the sounds of it there were some reliability problems earlier...
C'mon Man, let's not lose sight of the Tundra's true roots and specific uses it's intended for. While I understand the need and appeal of modifying our snowmachines, trying to turn the Tundra into a stabile, high speed trail runner like many are doing completely diminishes the purpose of this utility sled. It's made for tight places.

·
Registered
223 Posts
The Indy 155s closest skidoo brand snowmobile is the expedition sport 550f.

The Indy is lighter and less expensive.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts