Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
9599e6ce922723e9c4ca24f42fe582bb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Shoulda bought it when it was listed on CL for $950. This one still bugs me...

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Let the games begin. I see there are already stupid comments on the price. Thats one thing that keeps me off FB. A guy posted a classified add and all they get is flack and comments. People always ready to say it has the wrong skis or wrong spark plugs or too expensive. And always the "if only it were closer......"

·
Banned
2,198 Posts
If you post it for a high price on FB, you are gonna get comments. It's a social media platform, not a sales platform.

I don't let anything bother me, comments wise, when I'm selling something. If many say something is overpriced, and it's not selling, it's good feedback for the seller.

In this case, the seller is clearly testing the waters. No harm in that!

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you post it for a high price on FB, you are gonna get comments. It's a social media platform.
Well, good enough reason for me to stay off. Their mothers should have taught them, if you don't have something nice to say - don't say anything.

·
Banned
2,198 Posts
Well, good enough reason for me to stay off. Their mothers should have taught them, if you don't have something nice to say - don't say anything.
I have to disagree with you on this one. It is not "mean" to say something is overpriced. It is an opinion at the very least, and the market will dictate if the opinions prove to be correct. It can also help the seller at times, as many people are simply unaware of market prices.

Like I said, can't take this stuff personally.

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
I guess we can agree to disagree. . There are different ways to say things, I think you could respectfully say what you want. Most of what I see is not tasteful or respectful, just being smart "edit for bad language". Most times, as in this case, the guy making the dumb comments clearly doesn't even know what he is talking about. As you say, it's social media and people can say what they want. Again, thats why I stay off, also why you will never see me post any public videos on Youtube, full of trolls and wise guys.

BTW, looking at the pictures, and especially considering U.S. funds, I am not disagreeing that the price is high.

Jaydeetee99 seems to know the sled. What condition was it in when you saw it for $950?

·
Registered
635 Posts
Condition was actually fairly good if my memory serves correct(been a few years since I saw it last). I know the exhaust system didn't look that nice but other than that I don't remember much. Only remember this one from the low serial number and the price was a steal!

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
For the people that think the price is too high. Try and find a nice one. I challenge you. If you do it will (should be) be over $4000. Now, let's say you find a not so nice one that needs restored for $500. Let me know what you have in it when you do it "right". I've never been able to restore a prs chassis sled for less than $8000 and the only thing I am outsourcing is paint and body.

So I don't do Facebook. Can anyone provide me with the sellers number so I can buy that sled please?

·
Registered
406 Posts
If you post it for a high price on FB, you are gonna get comments. It's a social media platform, not a sales platform.

I don't let anything bother me, comments wise, when I'm selling something. If many say something is overpriced, and it's not selling, it's good feedback for the seller.

In this case, the seller is clearly testing the waters. No harm in that!
What make you think he is "clearly testing the waters", and what makes you such an expert on the selling price of a restored sled??? The guy has every right to list his sled for whatever he thinks it's worth and to those who think its to much or can't afford it should just keep there stupid comments to themselves.

As skidoojunky says, find a good X model, do a proper restoration on it and then add up the bills and hours spent doing it and I think the $5000.00 asking price is well withing reason. If you don't think so, then as I say, keep your mouth shut and let the serious collectors enjoy the hobby.

·
Registered
5,461 Posts
What make you think he is "clearly testing the waters", and what makes you such an expert on the selling price of a restored sled??? The guy has every right to list his sled for whatever he thinks it's worth and to those who think its to much or can't afford it should just keep there stupid comments to themselves.

As skidoojunky says, find a good X model, do a proper restoration on it and then add up the bills and hours spent doing it and I think the $5000.00 asking price is well withing reason. If you don't think so, then as I say, keep your mouth shut and let the serious collectors enjoy the hobby.
Macho6, apparently you don't understand.

This guy knows EVERYTHING, and has three or four of EVERYTHING.

Just ask him :wacko: :blink: :rofl

·
Banned
2,198 Posts
Calm down - why is everybody so sensitive on pricing? I said he is likely testing the waters, because it is priced high for a PRS. I'm no expert, but have bought and sold for decades, and have some idea of pricing, same as everybody else.

He bought the sled in good shape for $950. Everybody is entitled to their opinion, but when you post an ad on a social media site, of course you're gonna get comments. And what's wrong with that? That's what that site is for. You're welcome to "keep your mouth shut" also. No need to have a meltdown simply because you disagree with someone's opinion of a sled's value on Facebook.

If the sled is worth more to "you", nothing wrong with that either.

·
Banned
2,198 Posts
For the people that think the price is too high. Try and find a nice one. I challenge you. If you do it will (should be) be over $4000. Now, let's say you find a not so nice one that needs restored for $500. Let me know what you have in it when you do it "right". I've never been able to restore a prs chassis sled for less than $8000 and the only thing I am outsourcing is paint and body.
So I don't do Facebook. Can anyone provide me with the sellers number so I can buy that sled please?
Have never spent $8000 on a resto, but I do everything myself. Also, just because you spend $8000 on a restoration, it does not mean the market value of the snowmobile is $8000. Could be more, or less - the market decides. If the sled is worth that amount to you, go for it. Just keep in mind it may not be worth that on the open market. There is an emotional value to many.

Good luck on the purchase! It looks in decent shape.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Have never spent $8000 on a resto, but I do everything myself. Also, just because you spend $8000 on a restoration, it does not mean the market value of the snowmobile is $8000. Could be more, or less - the market decides.

Good luck on the purchase!
yogi bear.......it's because of comments like this you get shunned after almost every post. Nowhere did I say that sled was worth $8000. What I was implying was that if this sled was indeed restored correctly there was REAL value in it at a $5000 asking price as the average Joe could not restore one for anywhere near that amount of money.

As stated above, and I don't care who you are, YOU HAVE TO PUT A VALUE ON YOUR OWN TIME. I know the last prs sled I tore completely apart, split the bulk head from the tunnel, stripped and had refinished I had AT LEAST 250 man hours in. Figure that conservatively at $100/hr. Now figure in all of my time running around gathering parts, replating hardware...Etc etc, buy some red paint, you know the good stuff. then the clear, hardener and everything that goes along with it. Rebuild the crank, cylinders, pistons, track, etc. stuff adds up quick. Then add in the purchase price of the sled. See where I am going with this? I kind of doubt it. Something tells me I am talking to myself?

·
Banned
2,198 Posts
yogi bear.......it's because of comments like this you get shunned after almost every post. Nowhere did I say that sled was worth $8000. What I was implying was that if this sled was indeed restored correctly there was REAL value in it at a $5000 asking price as the average Joe could not restore one for anywhere near that amount of money.
As stated above, and I don't care who you are, YOU HAVE TO PUT A VALUE ON YOUR OWN TIME. I know the last prs sled I tore completely apart, split the bulk head from the tunnel, stripped and had refinished I had AT LEAST 250 man hours in. Figure that conservatively at $100/hr. Now figure in all of my time running around gathering parts, replating hardware...Etc etc, buy some red paint, you know the good stuff. then the clear, hardener and everything that goes along with it. Rebuild the crank, cylinders, pistons, track, etc. stuff adds up quick. Then add in the purchase price of the sled. See where I am going with this? I kind of doubt it. Something tells me I am talking to myself?
Nobody said or implied the FB sled was worth 8k.
I have countless hours in sleds myself, I know how intensive restorations are. I also do GP replica motorcycles, where the market is way fussier. But that market also pays substantially more. Wider demographic, appeal, etc. Sleds have a very limited market, obviously.

Point being - the market dictates pricing. Just because I spend x amount of hours restoring, and x amount of dollars restoring, does not mean I can recoup those investments. Especially at "$100/hour". It's a labour of love in many respects. Of course I value my time - but that doesn't make the market value it at the same rate. See the difference?

Bottom line- a sled is worth what someone is willing to pay. Pretty much the same with anything these days.

Not sure about "shunned".... Lol. But some overly sensitive guys seem to miss the point. Why can't people simply discuss a sled for sale, without getting upset about it's market value, or any other parameter? It's just an old sled at the end of the day.

So when are you picking up that X? :)

·
Registered
406 Posts
Hey Baba, lets turn the tables on all of this, Post pictures on all your sleds, tell us what you bough them for and tell us what you spent fixing them up...what do you think your stuff is worth and the Dootalk community will give you our thoughts......or is that to personal for you???

·
Registered
635 Posts
C'mon this is getting ridiculous now. How about make your PMs toxic and not the forum. Thanks!

·
Banned
2,198 Posts
Hey Baba, lets turn the tables on all of this, Post pictures on all your sleds, tell us what you bough them for and tell us what you spent fixing them up...what do you think your stuff is worth and the Dootalk community will give you our thoughts......or is that to personal for you???
When I post ads of any of my sleds for sale, I never get upset at any critiques; I consider it all constructive. Lower than asking price offers don't bother me either. I really don't understand guys getting so upset over opinions on sled valuations. Especially on a social media site like Facebook- that's why they exist.

·
Banned
2,198 Posts
C'mon this is getting ridiculous now. How about make your PMs toxic and not the forum. Thanks!
I 100% agree. And the outrage here does not even involve a sale on this site. Take it offline. Anyone can PM me to discuss.

It's a sled for sale on FB. Some will agree on value, some will disagree. That's just life.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts