Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 03 800 fouled a plug on the PTO side, put a new one in and it still ran like sh&%. I pulled the plug wire off while the sled was still running and the sparks started arcing off the plug boot and making the sled fire right. As soon as i put the boot back over the plug it would run on 1 cylander again. did this ever happen to anyone in here? I just bought 2 new wires to fix the prob. didnt put them on yet but i hope it fixes the prob.......

P.S. I tried spraying WD40 on the wires and cleaning out the cap.....nothing worked.........We were up in Canada in about -25F.....didnt hurt the trip much, i just threw my leg over my 04 600ho and ran that for the day.......

·
Just doo it.
690 Posts
Ricky177 said:
My 03 800 fouled a plug on the PTO side, put a new one in and it still ran like sh&%. I pulled the plug wire off while the sled was still running and the sparks started arcing off the plug boot and making the sled fire right. As soon as i put the boot back over the plug it would run on 1 cylander again. did this ever happen to anyone in here? I just bought 2 new wires to fix the prob. didnt put them on yet but i hope it fixes the prob.......

P.S. I tried spraying WD40 on the wires and cleaning out the cap.....nothing worked.........We were up in Canada in about -25F.....didnt hurt the trip much, i just threw my leg over my 04 600ho and ran that for the day.......
[snapback]712107[/snapback]​
I think when you take the spark plug lead off and hold it over the tip of the plug, it fires, and I tihnk thats normal... wierd but normal. I tihnk I remember my dealer saying something to me about it. So, I do not think buying those new spark leads or wires will help. I would look at the plug, running lean or rich? Is it one cylinder that constantly runs like crap or fouls? Give the dealer a call to, see what they say.

·
Doo Pilot
1,897 Posts
The wire itself may be broken at the boot area.change the wire and see
Take a volt /ohm meter and do the wiggle test with it
use a dilectric grease on the end of your boot,this prevent moisture from causing a misfire.
Rich

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cluby262000 said:
sounds like the pto side seal has popped out. take it to a shop and have them pull the clutch off.
[snapback]713479[/snapback]​
I put AIRDOO800'S pto retainer kit on it already.......really dont think thats the prob......the plug boot broken sounds more realistic.......thanks though.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I wouldn't be to worried sounds like it is just your plug cap. Same thing happend to my wife's 03, 600 ho. It was the plug cap. the thingy inthere likes to break off for some reason. my fix...just cut the old one off stick a new one on...then i just ran BR9EYAs for proformanace. Don't swet it man. just wait for the new wires and hook them up and see how they run.

·
Registered
14,289 Posts
What Skimp said... just buy a new end for the wire.. . cut the the old boot off the wire and screw the new one in to the wire and away you go.... This happens all the time.. part of it has to do with the way we pull the boots off the plugs.. most of us are not gentle enough.

Get the hard plastic Nippondeso Boot end, you will be much happier.. might as well do both wires/ends at the same time.

·
Registered
137 Posts
When you pull your spark plug boot off you crate a larger air gap that the spark has to jump this in turn causes a increase in voltage from the coil in order to make that jump. Now two things can happen, if you have a break in the wire the increased voltage most likley won`t make a difference because the spark is already trying to jump that gap or if you have a plug that is fouled it can start that plug firing with the incresed voltage. Best way is use a ohm meter. If its a broken solid core wire you won`t have a residence reading .But if it is a carbon core you can have a high to no residence reading. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
what doodoman said ,if you pull the cap away from a fouled plug the increase voltage spike will make it fire,remember that electricity goes to the least point of resistance and there is two cyl's fired by the same coil,if you have a bad wire the voltage will travel to the easiest cyl to fire,you most likely have a bad plug,cap or lead. just work your way back to the coil by eliminating each,change plug first(.020'' gap) then the cap then the wire.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
And it wouldnt hurt to check the reed cages also,you can never ignore that with the 800 motor.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
got the sled apart now, the reeds look ok to me, what would be wrong with the reeds? cracked petal? bad carb boot? petal hung open? dont see any of that..... I changed the wires and plugs and the sled is running good it just wont hold an idle???????????? anything else i should look 4 before i go and romp this thing and blow it up?????????

P.S. its still apart so a quick reply would be great..

Thanks,
Rick

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.