Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been just taking the plugs out of the box and screwing them in. I know the plug gap for my sled I think it .45 I always thought they were about right on out of the box but I decided to check and they were at .35. It's a very small difference but could I have done any harm having the plugs @ .35. Will there be any difference now up to the .45? It was running great @ the .35.
Thanks

·
Registered
6,598 Posts
That small of a difference won't hurt it, they are usually gapped close to spec right out of the box. Get them too close together and the sled won't even fire however, but yours sound good.

·
Monosodium Glutamate
2,663 Posts
You'll be fine. I always check mine before installing... but have never had any issues. I very rarely foul plugs but I've always check the plugs before I place them in my caddy. It would suck to need one on the trail and to find that the pin is pressed closed!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys that was what I was thinking but wanted to be sure. I decided to check it last night when I was doing a little pre weekend prep work. My sled will normally idle at a steady 1600 rpm's but after I changed the gap and fired it up it was idling real low it thinks it was just because I had the heat on it the garage and it was warm last night.

·
Monosodium Glutamate
2,663 Posts
Heated garage!!
Lucky you.
Don't let the sled get too spoiled... but thats probally the reason for the idle change. Have fun.

·
Registered
461 Posts
just a thought but dont you mean .045 is supposed to be your gap. i have a 98 FZ and my gap is .018. i also check mine out of hte box and they are already there. i've never had to change one yet. from the reading i have done they come in 2 configuration close & wide gap. the close gaps are set to .018 and the wide gaps to .045, or htere abouts. and that is a not too well know car performance tip. i did it with my 78 trans am. open the plug gap .005 at a time and increase the timing a few * til you get hte best performance and no detonation. it increases gas milage & performance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts