1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Which pic is which? Before? after? etc. I'd say the pic on top looks a bit lean

·
Registered
519 Posts
The top right plug seems to lean.(for some odd reason) Take a look at the ground electrode.

Edit: The flash fooled me to, they seem fine now

The ground electrode is also an indicator; on many engines you will see a "shadow" (darker area) just up to the radius (bend) that will usually coincide with the color and firing electrode appearance. If this shadow is further down the ground strap towards the plug threads, you're likely too lean. If this dark shadow is all the way across the strap to the center of the plug, you're too rich.

http://www.snowtechmagazine.com/articles/2...ne/baseline.php

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They are both after I had installed it. I should have taken a picture before I installed the can that way I would have known. The top picture is with flash and the bottom one is with out. Sorry I should have put that in when I posted them.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Are you going to change your main jets or how will you go about fixing it?

·
Registered
559 Posts
one says to rich and one says to lean now what way do i go here. I have no idea what way to go because i am just learning here. keep given me your input, or maybe there is someone here in Minnesota that could come look at it.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Go do a plug test make sure you use new plugs and go load the motor up 3 to 4 1000 foot WOT pulls should give you a good idea of if you be lean or rich. Better on the rich side IMO rich does not blow motors, gums chit up but doo runs on the safe side from the factory so tend to be rich to begin with. And do not think a can would change it to much if at all.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sledhound said:
Go do a plug test make sure you use new plugs and go load the motor up 3 to 4 1000 foot WOT pulls should give you a good idea of if you be lean or rich. Better on the rich side IMO rich does not blow motors, gums chit up but doo runs on the safe side from the factory so tend to be rich to begin with. And do not think a can would change it to much if at all.
[snapback]725867[/snapback]​
OK i will try that sometime this week and see what happens. Thanks

·
Registered
854 Posts
I did this to few sleds last few weeks might have to ride half a day to get color, one sled did take half a day the other sled could tell after 4 long pulls so might have to run longer but just check your plugs few times that day. Black = rich , Coffee brown = good , white color = lean

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
UST421 said:
one says to rich and one says to lean now what way do i go here. I have no idea what way to go because i am just learning here. keep given me your input, or maybe there is someone here in Minnesota that could come look at it.

[snapback]725844[/snapback]​
Well had you mentioned the flash thing I would have said too rich also. You want the plugs to look like hot chocolate mix

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok thanks alot guys i sure hope that everything is ok which i am sure it is but i don't feel like rebuilding a motor.

·
Fuzzy but not Blue........
10,667 Posts
Check your piston wash to be sure.
-Grover

1 - 13 of 13 Posts