Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our local snowmobile clubs have strengthened their campaign to "stay between the blazers" on the marked trails but, as usual, some idiots continue to ride where ever they want (off-trail). I think these morons need to realize that 80 percent of Wisconsin trails are privately owned and when people ride off trail guess what? The owners take back the access. If this doesn't stop, we WILL continue to lose our trails. Please help spread the word!

· Super Moderator
6,699 Posts
This is a problem every club faces and it only gets worse with each passing season and the growing number of people who have kicked personal responsibility and respect for others to the curb. Unfortunately it is going to take land owners denying access to their property and trails closing permanently or a police presence to prosecute people for trespassing to the fullest extent of the law for something to change.

· Registered
71 Posts
Ever time we stop for something to eat I look around and the average age is probably 50 , are these the ones with loud cans and ripping off trail ? I only ever see the younger guys up in the u.p that has plenty of legal off trail area . And they have loud ass sleds, just wondering what type of riders are the culprit?

· Registered
161 Posts
Minnesota has implemented a $1000 trespassing fee this year and it has made no difference as they are not enforcing it. I am the president of a club in one of the most busiest areas of the state (Brainerd) and it hasn't slowed it down one bit.

· Registered
779 Posts
I have always run full stock for my sleds. Personally, I don't mind aftermarket cans with the exception of the very loud ones, especially after sundown. I am disappointed when I see a farmers field that has tracks all over it though (or any private field for that matter). I'm surprised there aren't more closures when I see it.

· Registered
6,127 Posts
I know people don’t want to see more rules and regulations put on them, I get it. However, I think the only thing that will make a difference on the trespassing and cans is heavy handed enforcement. If a few big fines or sled confiscations happened and were published on FB and in the news, word would get around fast and would make many think twice. Right now the chances of getting caught, or of anything much happening if you did are very slim.

Here people ride all over farmland going off the marked trail. I am good friends with the owner and know for a fact that nobody asks permission, and honestly I wouldn’t be taking it as well as they do. I had one guy stop here maybe 5 years ago, saying he was looking for a place to ride for a few hours with his son, so I sent him to the landowner. I was pretty impressed by that as everyone else just treats it like public property.

The mountain cans, guys know full well what they are doing is detrimental to the hobby and deserve any fine or whatever they get.

· Registered
2022 Enduro 900 T130
157 Posts
Lots and lots of off trail tracks in N WI last weekend. More than I can recall normally seeing off trail and in spots that are normally pristine all season with no off trail tracks. I would guess most of the off trail riding is from people who do not frequent the areas they ride. Come up for a quick weekend blast and could care less if the trail gets closed because they were just there for a weekend and not club members or someone who cares about the long term viability of the trail. I would think that is the most likely person to ride of trail. To be fair to the mountain sled guys I only saw 1 backcountry and 1 summit all week so I do not think the blame falls squarely on them. *Disclaimer I do not own a mountain sled.

· Registered
2012 MXZ TNT 600 etec
1,172 Posts
I would like to see more of the orange blazer markers on the fields. I few years ago when I was riding in Northern Wi I almost went the wrong way on a trail that I never rode before.. Got about 5 inches over night with blowing snow. Please put the orange markers closer together on the big open spacers. I always stay on the trail and always stay right.

· Registered
270 Posts
I was invited to ride with a new guy, with cousin in laws buddy from back home that happened to have a place up north too, he was the local, family been there for years, ok so he led, I was last in the group. Not 30 seconds in, we're blowing up some private road with no trespassing signs then off trail through some woods over to some other trail. He got us lost, then went by a giant gate and no trespassing sign that was at least 4 ft x 4 ft. I just stopped my sled and let them figure out I wasn't following them past that. Maybe it was the fact the owner tore the ground up into giant ice chunks with his tractor, but that bro he kept on going. I didn't need to find out what 'deliverance up north' meant when he came across his grow or meth operation. I asked him if he saw the no trespassing signs, he was like we've been up here forever it's no big deal, we grew up here riding those trails. At that point I figured any way out was trespassing if I left them and just turned around, plus they were on one of my sleds, still so let's get to the main trail.

Lesson learned was to not assume anything, ask what trails we'll ride. I thought it was pretty simple, there was one trail where we started, I figured we'd ride that like any normal person would assume. But nope, trespasser shortcut was taken immediately, and no radio no way as last in line other than maybe the first sign was someone he knew, but nope, not the second sign or any after that. I stopped my sled and they eventually figured out I wasn't behind them.

· Registered
270 Posts
Just a thought here but last season there was an influx of new sled owners with the extra government $$$. I wonder if the new to the sport people are just not educated...
I think it is more like folks trading in their 20 yr old trail sleds and hopping on new off trail capable sleds and going where they never could go before.

· Registered
6,127 Posts
Five posts was all it took to make a plead about staying on trail into a can thread...I am surprised nobody mentioned standup riders with backpacks...
You are right, the two are not always related, lots of going off the trail is done by regular trail sled riders. The comment was from an actual landowner that has a trail crossing his land, these are the people that get trails shut down. I think its good to hear from the land owners to hear their concerns.

· Super Moderator
6,699 Posts
It's about the lack of personal responsibility and disrespect for other people's property today and realizing land owners don't want people on their land if a trail has not been cut and staked through it.

I wonder if these same guys would get up in arms if I took a leak on their sled and said to them when they complained..... "Hey, your sled was parked here and it was closer than that tree over there. I had to go so I used it instead of the tree. What's the big deal?"

· Registered
1 Posts
Just a thought here but last season there was an influx of new sled owners with the extra government $$$. I wonder if the new to the sport people are just not educated...
After all our discussions about off trail riding and how to stop it, one thing we can agree about is that the violators probably don't read forums and we are just preaching to the choir. Last night on the Rhinelander news station, they did a story on the subject which is much more likely to target the violators. Seems to me if we could find more ways to deliver the message (rather than snowmobile forums) like this one, it would go a long way. Maybe AWSC could part with some of their (our) money to fund advertising like this.

· Registered
176 Posts
Five posts was all it took to make a plead about staying on trail into a can thread...I am surprised nobody mentioned standup riders with backpacks...
It probably depends on where you ride, but for northern MN, that's a pretty good description of who you see off trail. Seems to be a byproduct of younger guys who ride mountain sleds in a region with little to no legal off trail areas.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts