Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been reading about some problems but am wondering what i should look for while inspecting sled ( besides the obvious things ) . it has come from the states to canada so all the scheduled updates would have to have been done already . i know it has the secondary water cooler installed . i am coming off of an 04 rev and do not know much about the xr chassis . the machine has 6000 miles on it and is a 121" tnt for 7300.00 canadian . seems like an ok deal ..... please let me know any info it would help a ton in making my purchase . thanks guys .

·
Registered
749 Posts
You will love the xr. I went from an 03 rev800 to a 2009 xr near the end of this past season. Loved it so much I ordered a 2012 1200 x. As far as price dealers here were only offering up to 6000 on trade and I sold it for 6200 to a separate used sled dealer in april after snow was gone. It only had 3000 miles on it and was in mint condition. I lnow I could have gotten at least 7300 for it here in US next season but couldnt chance not selling it before new sled arrives. The price seems a bit high for the mileage and for this time of year but the extra cooling kit is a plus and Id expect a lot of miles out of the sled. As long as it is a sound machine Im sure you will love it. Id ask for a little bit of a summer out of season price break though. As great as the sled is there are still probably few buyers for full priced sleds at this time of year. That sled in a shortie or renegade(my preference as i think the weight is better balanced) is a great choice but shop around to know price is right for your area.. Remember it is a buyers market at this time of year (note my loss of 1000 dollars- that could have been you stealing a deal from me like that!) Just IMO. If your heart is set on that one though dont worry the xr1200 is a champ!

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
dont know what the canadian dollar is worth, but 7300 is too much money for the miles on a tnt this time of year, not trying to spoil it for the seller, it just is. You could find a new leftover 09 for under $8500 U.S. dollars if you are willing to travel or a newer lower mile version. I bet you there are a few guys out there that would be willing to unload their lower miled unit for some cash this time of year..

as far as the 1200 goes, you will love it. I would go with a renegade if I was you. The extra track under it sure doesnt hurt it. This coming year will be my 3rd year on my gade 1200, it has been by far the funnest, quickest, (notice I did not say fastest) most reliable sled I have ever owned. I normally buy new every year but this sled is definitely a winner. I do have the new A/C procross turbo limited on order for this winter also, so we will see how much use the 1200 is going to get. For me it will still be at least the best backup sled I have ever owned if the Cat pans out like all the hype.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the responses guys . i am shopping in the maritimes ( pei , nova scotia , new brunswick ) and in maine . it is the cheapeat i have found by 700.00 . and that is hard looking . i did find one in maine for 6000.00 with 6000 miles but it sold in 2 hours . most people are asking 8000.00 and 7500.00 in maine . there just are not that many around . i know that deeper down in the states you can find them for 6000 but you need to throw about a 10 hour drive in there . i figure i might just have to bite the bullet on this . i know the renegade is a good choice but i have always been a short track kind of guy .

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
I know a member here that is close to me that has an 09 TNT for sale. Yellow and black, tall windshield, handguards, skidplate, a-arm protectors, and premium gauge package. Just under 3000 miles. Asking $6850 US. I know he takes great care of his sled. Probably way too far for you (Ohio) but that's an idea of what's out there.

·
Mass Confussion
2,988 Posts
thanks for the responses guys . i am shopping in the maritimes ( pei , nova scotia , new brunswick ) and in maine . it is the cheapeat i have found by 700.00 . and that is hard looking . i did find one in maine for 6000.00 with 6000 miles but it sold in 2 hours . most people are asking 8000.00 and 7500.00 in maine . there just are not that many around . i know that deeper down in the states you can find them for 6000 but you need to throw about a 10 hour drive in there . i figure i might just have to bite the bullet on this . i know the renegade is a good choice but i have always been a short track kind of guy .
Did you check in with the Sled Shop in Presque Isle,ME? I know they had either an 09 or 10 TNT for sale. Ask for Kevin(dooit2it on here).He may have a turbo going up for sale also.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Is Newport Vt right near the Canadian border too far for you? Als Snowmobiles has 2 2009 renegade 1200s there for sale including my old one in mint condition with under 3000 miles for around 7300. I was always a short track guy too and rarely go off trail but the renegade 1200 is worth considering. IMO it rides better and feels lighter due to better balance of the weight. I know that sounds strange but thats why the renegade felt beyter to me in the 1200. Plus it does handle the occasional deep snow well even where my shortie rev would get stuck.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
great responses . it seems as though there are some great deals out there but they are quite far . even VT is 7 hours away . i would consider a renegade after reading what everyone has said but i guess whichever is the best deal .

i checked the web site for the sledshop in presque isle and there are not any 1200's on there . i will call them first though . if anyone else knows of a deal let me know . my range is prob only maine though . even that is 5 hours to the bottom of it .

very helpful info everyone .

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
some talk on here a while back about a plastic water pump gear that was changed for 2010, could cause trouble for a high miler.

·
Maine Pilot
1,455 Posts
i have been reading about some problems but am wondering what i should look for while inspecting sled ( besides the obvious things ) . it has come from the states to canada so all the scheduled updates would have to have been done already . i know it has the secondary water cooler installed . i am coming off of an 04 rev and do not know much about the xr chassis . the machine has 6000 miles on it and is a 121" tnt for 7300.00 canadian . seems like an ok deal ..... please let me know any info it would help a ton in making my purchase . thanks guys .
There is a new leftover 2010 800R Gade here in Maine for $8000 if your interested.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Definately seems high for the mileage imo the 7 hour drive would be worth the extra 3000 miles you would save on the sleds in VT

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
you are right about the trip but just cannot seem to get enough motivation to travel that far . i think that after talking it over and reading responses on here i will wait for a better deal . i would rather find something with less miles . my original plan was to drive my sdi (5000 miles ) one more season then buy a 2010 renegade . i really like waiting until at least second production year for anything . thanks for the info ... i learned a while back to research before impulse buying gets the best of you .

·
Registered
749 Posts
you are right about the trip but just cannot seem to get enough motivation to travel that far . i think that after talking it over and reading responses on here i will wait for a better deal . i would rather find something with less miles . my original plan was to drive my sdi (5000 miles ) one more season then buy a 2010 renegade . i really like waiting until at least second production year for anything . thanks for the info ... i learned a while back to research before impulse buying gets the best of you .

·
Registered
749 Posts
probably a Good idea about waiting for a 2010 but only cause you dont want to get rid of a good sled for one with higher miles. I can guess the dealer in VT would take a quick $6700 or $6800 for the 09 renegade 1200 with 2900 miles. Remember that I know this cause I sold it to him a month ago for $6200! At the time he even told me he'd probably even flip it for a quick $500 profit now when I suggested that he could get 7300 for it next winter. As far as the drive maybe I am nuttier than most with my time but I drove 7 hours each way just to go to the last BRP show in Pennsylvania just for a glimse of the new models and I already had decided and ordered mine. I guess you just gotta feel it. Whatever and whenever you get your 1200 just enjoy- and take advantage of the season for price when you do. PS i would have met you half way when I was selling mine and wouldnt be surprised if someone else with one for sale would do the same at this time of year. Best of luck and youll love the 1200 gade!

·
Registered
827 Posts
Good plan. The best time to buy a sled is when you don't need one and have plenty of time to look for one. Keep your eyes open and when the right deal comes along jump on it.

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
Find one you want and get it shipped.... Like 500-600 to get it shipped to the closest border. There still lots of dealers left with new 10s still in the crate. Get on the phone and start calling BRP dealers. You will be amazed at what you find...

·
Ukranian Mafia
5,539 Posts
Just a FYI of things I would be looking at if I were looking for a few year old 1200.

Primary clutch - how much wear, grooves in clutch, anything that looks odd

Valve cover - how much seepage around it? THey seem to start to leak eventually

Oil cooler - seems like most 09's wil experience some seepage at sometime. You'll notice a bit of coolant coming out the bottom of it..likely a slow leak.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts