Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Certifiable Sledhead and Cybertruck Reservation Ho
4,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://jalopnik.com/5467038/the-ford-engine-technology-good-enough-for-the-nissan-gt-r

Very cool stuff. The oil retaining property of the material will be excellent for an oil sipping 2 stroke like the 850. Everyone is loving on the bottom end of the 850 but the improvements to the top end are equally impressive. Especially for throttle jockeys and mountain guys. Sustained WOT should be no problem for this baby :biggrin_old: .

·
Registered
892 Posts
We are looking forward to seeing how much less oil the 850 will take compared to my 800. Riding 2 800s this year we were pretty equal in gas and oil consumption. I was a little better as I'm a lighter rider, but very close after my break in. I'm curious to see if the 850 will perform as much better as they say it will!

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
thanks for the link. did a quick search on the plasma process but this was a good article. so if the coating is .6mm thick does that mean we can now hone the cylinder with a conventional rigid cylinder hone? should be able to go .020 oversize and still have .35mm of plasma sprayed liner.

·
Ukranian Mafia
5,539 Posts
I really think there are big benefits to this coating but I hear it is expensive to do. It will give the BB builders some headaches I bet.

·
4,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The BB kits would likely go back to nic coating. The plasma coating may last a burn down (fuel/ spark?) issue but that means jack if the ports crack.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk
Because the plasma coating transfers heat better than nikasil the incidence of cracking will likely be less of a problem (perhaps non-existent as this monoblock is completely redesigned).

The big plating shops (Like CV tech) will adopt this technology pretty quickly. My guess is in a season or two you'll be able to get a big bore using this technology.

·
4,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Arctic Cat doesn't do it this way so it must be junk.
That's why Cat's #1 in sales. Oh right... #3 and in bed with the #4 builder in a mutually desperate bid for both to stay in the snowmobile business. A force in the industry to be sure :wink_old: .

Reactions: drdoo55

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
"Sadly, there is one downside - all of this wonderful technology will put an end to boring out an engine block for bigger displacement, at least on a grassroots scale. Still, we we think the benefits are worth the sacrifice." quote from last paragraph of the article.

Good article but I wonder why they can't be bored out since they grind them to size after the coating is sprayed on already, you would think they could grind off the coating completely, overbore the cylinder and then re-spray it on again afterwards? Not that I have any plans to do this just curious as to why they say it can't be done? Maybe they just meant not just anyone in their backyard can do it?

·
Registered
13,583 Posts
I think they are comparing it to iron block or iron lined automotive engines that any old machine shop with a boring bar could rebuild oversize. Those guys aren't going to be able to touch these. They do say the process is actually cheaper than iron liners on mass production scale when all costs are considered. And like anything else, the cost will go down once it becomes more mainstream.

Roamer, I was joking with the AC comment, lol.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
That's why Cat's #1 in sales. Oh right... #3 and in bed with the #4 builder in a mutually desperate bid for both to stay in the snowmobile business. A force in the industry to be sure :wink_old: .
Read 300 pages of Cat 2 stroke threads and you'll be hard pressed to find a stock 800 engine failure, or a 4 stroke one for that matter. Nor the 600 ctec. I'm a Doo guy, but the failure rate on Brp 2 strokes is astronomical compared to Cat.And I have and will continue to have Brp 2 strokes, but you should toss those rose coloured glasses and get a pair of " beer goggles" instead. Better view.

·
4,217 Posts
Read 300 pages of Cat 2 stroke threads and you'll be hard pressed to find a stock 800 engine failure, or a 4 stroke one for that matter. Nor the 600 ctec. I'm a Doo guy, but the failure rate on Brp 2 strokes is astronomical compared to Cat.And I have and will continue to have Brp 2 strokes, but you should toss those rose coloured glasses and get a pair of " beer goggles" instead. Better view.
I've had zero engine failures in thousands of miles on my Rotax 2 strokes. The view from here is just fine :dry_old: .

ps. Cats are more than just engines. The powerplants are solid. the rest of the sleds aren't so much.

As the #1 sled site for the #1 brand Dootalk is a gathering place for owners, haters, and posers alike. Real failures are reported over the many silent owners who have no issues, along with crap from people parroting what they've read online, and the posers who don't even own Ski-Doos. It makes small issues appear much larger than what they actually are. Doo isn't #1 because they are pretty... they're #1 because they ARE SUPERIOR SNOWMOBILES.

·
4,217 Posts
And the last Cat you owned was?
Check out my sig. See any Cat's there? I would own a Poo (a 600 CFI) if I were for some unknown reason unable to buy a Doo. I can't see myself ever owning a Cat. Aside from wanting a pig heavy turbo 4 stroke, what do they have to offer?

Reactions: drdoo55

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Check out my sig. See any Cat's there? I would own a Poo (a 600 CFI) if I were for some unknown reason unable to buy a Doo. I can't see myself ever owning a Cat. Aside from wanting a pig heavy turbo 4 stroke, what do they have to offer?
I asked that because there isn't any Cats in your sig, but you seem to know a lot about them. I guess you know about how lousy they are from the Internet then. Solid engines? Yes, that's what I was talking about, and that's just about it as far as sleds go. The fit and finish on the chassis means zero when there is a hole in the side of the engine or a piston welded to the cylinder.And no one will buy it if it doesnt make power. None of the makers chassis are without some issues,including Doo.Ever ride one those heavy pigs?Or a Cat 2 stroke? Or did you just read about them? I considered buying an etec at one time, but the cost of an electronic or engine failure kind of scared me away. Glad youve had good luck with them, and the 850 looks like 2 stroke of the future for sure. And I was just joking about the glasses. Just funnin you,eh.

·
Super Moderator
29,495 Posts
The reason Cat engines live is because they're old school. If you don't meet emissions it's pretty easy to make a 2 stroker live. Wad the gas and oil to it and life is good.

The 800 is living on the credits the 4 stroke gathered up, not on its own merit.

I will say the Ctech has been a great engine by all accounts - and it should be. They took the best of 10 year old Doo tech and worked with it. The "new" Ctech makes the same HP the old SDI did when Doo retired it.

Serious question; when was the last time Cat had an original idea? They've made a living on copying everyone else's ideas and buying stuff from other manufacturers. And sadly they've even done a fairly poor job even doing that.

·
SkiDoo Guru
19,700 Posts
The reason Cat engines live is because they're old school. If you don't meet emissions it's pretty easy to make a 2 stroker live. Wad the gas and oil to it and life is good.

The 800 is living on the credits the 4 stroke gathered up, not on its own merit.

I will say the Ctech has been a great engine by all accounts - and it should be. They took the best of 10 year old Doo tech and worked with it. The "new" Ctech makes the same HP the old SDI did when Doo retired it.

Serious question; when was the last time Cat had an original idea? They've made a living on copying everyone else's ideas and buying stuff from other manufacturers. And sadly they've even done a fairly poor job even doing that.
the KITTY CAT was their idea . :wink_old:

·
Registered
890 Posts
Yeah things are not looking good for Cat. last place in atv's and 3rd or 4th in sled sales. They're posting losses on different quarters.. the writing is on the wall. I'd liked my 16 Cat Turbo though. The 17 prices are out of this world.

·
4,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Reactions: stealth bomber

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
The link that mounts the back of the R motion to the tunnel sure looks a lot like one Cat has been using for 20 years.

Just sayin.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts