Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Sponsor
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm heading back up to the Palmer / Wasilla area on the 9th & looking for new riding areas.
Is anyone familiar with the area that has a favorite place they'd be willing to share?
I'd like to adventure more than go extreme boondocking, we know where to go for that :)

·
Registered
844 Posts
I know Turnagain Arm has some snow but check the Avalanche warnings. I live on the Kenai Peninsula and for the most part, we don't have snow. It has been 40F the past few days and most of it has melted. You might want to check further inland on snow conditions like Petersville Road area or Denali Hwy.

Check here for contact info http://ridealaska.com/archive/

In Alaska, driving from Palmer to Eureka is not a long drive. Now Palmer to Fairbanks or Tok would be a long drive.

·
Sponsor
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool, thanks for the link!
Last time I went it was my first time out there & we had three of us but only 2 sleds so I went with my buddies Uncle Mike the first day, then my bud & I went back to that same spot the next day.
It was great, but I'd like to explore more this time & Uncle Mike had a third sled :D

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Warning!! Avys are sketchy everywhere in ak right now. If you are riding in the backcountry at all, make sure EVERYONE in the group has avygear and a brain with them at all times.

Carry on with the previously scheduled programming :)

·
Sponsor
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the heads up!
That's scary stuff & I do not want to have anything at all to do with one!!
We practiced our beacon finding in backyard last time, but man I pray I never ever, ever have to actually make use of them.

Funny my wife asks if the life insurance is paid every time we head up to trail ride, but doesn't mention it for AK.
See thinks it's more like a sight seeing trip :)

·
Sponsor
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I for sure will, but as you know it just doesn't do it justice.
Here's one from ID earlier this year, again you just can't tell how massive things are in a pic

Attachments

·
Sponsor
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cornice fall, Glide cracks AND avalanches?!!?
Think I'm staying home...
HA- not!
Leave in exactly ONE WEEK & I'm super stoked, plus I just heard were going to check out some glaciers up close and personal. It can't come soon enough :D

·
Registered
726 Posts
You will be shocked when you arrive in Anchorage. No snow left at all, none in Palmer either. It was mid 40's today. However, there is a TON of snow out in Eureka and it's worth riding out there. Avalanche danger is bad in the mountains, but there is plenty of flat land powder out there.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Another good trip, if you like to ride groomed trails, is to run up to mile 121 on the Parks Highway and ride the Petersville trails. Curry Ridge Riders does a great job grooming them and you will see some spectacular scenery if it's sunny out. Check out their website for a trail map. http://www.curryridgeriders.com/

·
Sponsor
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sweet I'll bring that info up when we go, thanks!
Less than a week away woooooo whooooooo I can't wait!!!

·
Sponsor
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Uncle Mike says he likes his new SkiDoo more & more every time he rides it
cb25c4dadf2cada4cb1e04b08ea6d93a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Sponsor
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I know Turnagain Arm has some snow but check the Avalanche warnings. I live on the Kenai Peninsula and for the most part, we don't have snow. It has been 40F the past few days and most of it has melted. You might want to check further inland on snow conditions like Petersville Road area or Denali Hwy.

Check here for contact info http://ridealaska.com/archive/

In Alaska, driving from Palmer to Eureka is not a long drive. Now Palmer to Fairbanks or Tok would be a long drive.
We rode Eureka all day yesterday & now we're heading to Petersville today. My bud Joshua says, "it doesn't get any better than this hey"
Nope it sure doesn't, it's just beautiful up here :D

·
Sponsor
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The new SkiDoo ripped thru the runners (hyfax) and wrecked the track rails in 175 miles so we're down a machine.
Cats were fine so IDK if the T3 package is that much different, but needless to say some major disappointment with 2 days left of potential riding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 24 Posts