Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know theres gotta be a few dootalkers who are going to be riding Pittsburg this weekend, I was thinking about it but opted out of the 4 hr drive for this weekend. Let me know how the trails are because I plan on going up next weekend.

Frank

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Knarf0486 said:
I know theres gotta be a few dootalkers who are going to be riding Pittsburg this weekend, I was thinking about it but opted out of the 4 hr drive for this weekend. Let me know how the trails are because I plan on going up next weekend.

Frank
[snapback]683673[/snapback]​
I've got friends up there now who said they rode 250 between Wed night and Thursday. I'm headed up tonight! I'm not expecting anything perfect but I know the 3 hr ride will definitely be worth it. I'll let you know when I get back!

Remember there's been talks about a big storm for early next week so you should be set for next weekend.

·
Registered
745 Posts
This came from a local club south of Pittsburg. It's worth the ride!
The Errol area has been receiving light snow every day and the trails are improving. The Millsfield area is in good shape and some good riding can be had there. Trails south of Errol are still not good so head north from Errol. Log Haven Restaurant is expected to be open for the weekend under new management. Warmer temps are predicted for the weekend but NO RAIN. It looks like a good weekend to ride.

·
Registered
745 Posts
And this updated today from the famous SDR -Swift Diamond Riders- website. (Same area):
I don't know where it came from but it snowed all day in the North Country! Around 4"to 6" inches. The groomers were out all day and will be tomorrow. The trails are in nice shape.
However be careful of open water hazards. The groomers are filling them but there still some out there. Overall conditions are GOOD to VERY GOOD.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I rode Saturday and had an absolute blast. We rode early from Umbagog lake up to Pittsburg and up. My only complaint is that there were a ton of riders out that day. I couldn't blame them though, it was a beautiful day and the conditions were great. I feel bad for anyone who decided not ride that day! On the way back through Pittsburg was pretty beat, and by 9pm or so the ride from Errol to Umbagog lake was rough. We decided not to ride Sunday. I'm curious to hear the conditions from someone who did. I had so much fun on Sat I had dreams about it last night! I'll post some pics when I get em. Can't wait til next weekend.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
DooNH said:
I rode Saturday and had an absolute blast. We rode early from Umbagog lake up to Pittsburg and up. My only complaint is that there were a ton of riders out that day. I couldn't blame them though, it was a beautiful day and the conditions were great. I feel bad for anyone who decided not ride that day! On the way back through Pittsburg was pretty beat, and by 9pm or so the ride from Errol to Umbagog lake was rough. We decided not to ride Sunday. I'm curious to hear the conditions from someone who did. I had so much fun on Sat I had dreams about it last night! I'll post some pics when I get em. Can't wait til next weekend.

[snapback]687797[/snapback]​
Oh ya, all in all we did about 210 with plenty of stopping to eat and to play around on the mountains, so there's plenty of riding!

·
Registered
745 Posts
I rode on Sunday. The groomers were out in force. I saw 5 groomers throughout the day. Everything I rode was flat and fresh groomed all day long. Great day of riding 200 easy miles. Started at Seven Islands parking area in Errol. Rode up to Megalloway (all the way up to the tower) back down to SDR clubhouse gassed up headed over roaring brook back over Megalloway service road and on to Errol.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Only places to avoid are in towns. You can't ride into Coleborook. You can ride into Errol, very icy with brown snow but rideable. Same into Pittsburg and Youngs Store. We were able to stay in the high country by gassing up at the SDR clubhouse in Coleman State Park. Trail 5 N out of Coleman is Always bumpy. Go Across little diamond take the cut through towards Sportsmans lodge. Around the lodge onto Big Diamond Pond go all the across, end to end pick up the trail at the end of the road. It's all high elevation logging roads from there. Trails are well marked with maps at some junctions. The trails North and East of Coleman were the best.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
134 runs parrellel to 5 which is roaring brook. Much better than 5. Some washouts on top of mountain. 112 out of Errol has not been groomed in a few weeks at least. Very bumpy for several miles but a good amount of snow.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Knarf0486 said:
any updates, i really hope this rain/snow mix for friday doesnt f everythin up.
[snapback]693864[/snapback]​
Agreed, every weather website I go to seems to be saying snow to rain with little accumulation. What is it looking like up there?

This winter is making me so mad!

·
Registered
745 Posts
Conditions have been put back to the best groomable trails possible.Also we may be just high enough to see most of the precip Friday as wet snow.This along with the pattern change will see conditions after Saturday getting better and better.Regardless good riding and substantial snow cover in our high country will provide good coverage although Friday- Sat. it could turn a little sloppy if temps get much above 35.We will be on the mild side for the last time this weekend as the cold air finally moves in for the next few weeks
Let's hope it brings feet of snow with it.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Here is another report I found:
There is good to excellent riding in the HIGHER ELEVATIONS of Pittsburg as of this morning(Feb 2, 2006). The groomers have been out grooming all trails. You can get to all gas stations and facilities by sled in Pittsburg although it may be thin and rough in some areas. The trails in the northern part of Pittsburg in the higher elevations are still holding up well and are providing some good to excellent riding at the present time.

Trails to avoid, if you can, at the present time are: 112, Magalloway Road, from the junction with Corridor 20 and the junction with trail 143 (short windblown section hardly worth menitoning); Corridor 5 from the Junction with trail 138 to trail 112, Magalloway Road (east side of First Lake); and the local trails around Young's Store and the Pittsburg village. The best routes to the good riding from Back Lake are trails 142 and 147, Perry Stream east and west, over Deer Mountain, trail 141, to connect with Corridor 5 and trail 138 from trail 140 (Young's Store area) to get to Corridor 5 South (Bog Branch) and then to Corridor 20 East to get to the higher elevations.

Don't cancel any plans!

·
Registered
82 Posts
XHO said:
Here is another report I found:
There is good to excellent riding in the HIGHER ELEVATIONS of Pittsburg as of this morning(Feb 2, 2006). The groomers have been out grooming all trails. You can get to all gas stations and facilities by sled in Pittsburg although it may be thin and rough in some areas. The trails in the northern part of Pittsburg in the higher elevations are still holding up well and are providing some good to excellent riding at the present time.

Trails to avoid, if you can, at the present time are: 112, Magalloway Road, from the junction with Corridor 20 and the junction with trail 143 (short windblown section hardly worth menitoning); Corridor 5 from the Junction with trail 138 to trail 112, Magalloway Road (east side of First Lake); and the local trails around Young's Store and the Pittsburg village. The best routes to the good riding from Back Lake are trails 142 and 147, Perry Stream east and west, over Deer Mountain, trail 141, to connect with Corridor 5 and trail 138 from trail 140 (Young's Store area) to get to Corridor 5 South (Bog Branch) and then to Corridor 20 East to get to the higher elevations.

Don't cancel any plans!

[snapback]694804[/snapback]​
Thanks for the info!

1 - 20 of 155 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.