Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been trying to put my new pro-x pistons back onto my 800R ptek (2007 skidoo summit) and I've been having a tough time with the retaining ring so I got the retaining ring tool and practiced on my old piston with the original retaining ring and it went in fine. But when I put the new pro-x retaining ring (came with the new pistons) in the tool and try to hammer it through the cylinder tool it compresses the spring that it bends it and it doesn't spring back into place into the retaining ring grove. So basically the retaining ring is not good anymore because it is bent into the smaller diameter of the tool. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong? Are the Pro-x retaining rings junk and should I get the OEM retaining rings? Here is the tool I used:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0055DOFO4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Or does anyone know where I can purchase extra replacement retaining clips that will fit my prox piston kit. I've searched online for the prox piston clip part number 05.2116 but nothing I can find sells it. Here is the pdf that has the part number on it: https://www.pro-x.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/SNOW-2019_Online.pdf

·
Premium Member
27,934 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Get Brp circlips. Look at the grooves in the piston to make sure they will contain the manly Brp ones.Throw the cheesy ones that came with the pistons away. If you do use them put them in without the tool.

·
Premium Member
27,934 Posts
Have you purchased one and used it? Sure looks slick!
Sure does. I made my own out of common 3/4 copper pipe found at the hardware store and cut it lengthwise to adjust it using locking pliers. Not as fun holding everything, but the end result is there. I did the same piston install on the same engine with the supplied circlips with good results. If you decide to use a different circlip as I am seeing suggested, make sure the diameter/thickness of the circlip is the same. I wouldn't use a circlip for a different piston that doesn't fit the groove. I prefer the circlips with the dogleg and I seem to remember that's what came with those pistons.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts