Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
The 2nd most interesting man in the world
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The piston skirt on mine just broke off in the port and did a bit of landscaping on my cylinder , my other piston's skirt is worn and I am replacing it also . The skirt broke on the intake side . I only have 2500 miles . My FIIIs have 8 and 10 thousand miles and have never been opened up . I have been using Doo's best synthetic and running it heavy (nobody can stand the smell ) Well at least I now have a piston ashtray like my friends who do mods and burn down their experiments.

·
The 2nd most interesting man in the world
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
At least my rings looked marvelous ! No one has broken a piston skirt this year ?

·
Registered
714 Posts
I know on the 01s they had recalls for that very reason. As for the 02s I haven't had that happen with mine yet. I'm sure it is possible that some of the 02s might have gotten some of the bad batch of pistons.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I used to do this in my old racer after about 5-10hrs I would have to replace. You could see them cracking on the inside from the rist pin on one side and go across to the other side. This was caused by the slapping of the pistion from being so loose(talerance being greater then spec); for racing and over reving rpms that the pistions can not take. Mine use to blow out into the exhaust sounding like ball bearings.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts