Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 Summit 1000 sdi. It made it a whole 74 miles last year before it siezed. Just tore into it and found the piston has a hole in it and chunk missing on the side. The cylinder has a chunk missing also and is scored. The rave valve is also damaged. Could I have the cylinder bored and get an oversized piston or will I have to put a sleve in it? The other cylinder has no damage and the piston is good. Sorry pics suck for detail.
Thanks for any input.

Fluid Gas Auto part Circle Metal
Cloud Water Drinkware Liquid Sky

Attachments

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
I have a 2005 Summit 1000 sdi. It made it a whole 74 miles last year before it siezed. Just tore into it and found the piston has a hole in it and chunk missing on the side. The cylinder has a chunk missing also and is scored. The rave valve is also damaged. Could I have the cylinder bored and get an oversized piston or will I have to put a sleve in it? The other cylinder has no damage and the piston is good. Sorry pics suck for detail.
Thanks for any input.

View attachment 196622
View attachment 196624
When you send the cylinder in for replating they will likely weld it up... most modern doo cylinders are nikasil plated aluminum,no sleeves...

Big question is why it failed...? Injector maybe...?

I have a fresh ported cylinder for sale as well as a complete rebuilt spare engine.... extra injectors too...

·
Registered
187 Posts
Thanks for any input.

View attachment 196622
View attachment 196624
i have a brand new cylinder from my 02 mxz that got cracked durring install (long story). called the shop that did it, had them check it out and i was told i now have a rather expensive decoration. they said they couldn't weld and replate. might have been a lie, but you may want to have a shop check it and see if it is fixable.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Try millenium technologies out of WI... they could probably weld and replate that for you for about 350 bucks or less.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just noticed that the head is also pitted. Will I need to have it resurfaced or should it be ok to put back in? Is there a reason it needs to be smooth?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I just noticed that the head is also pitted. Will I need to have it resurfaced or should it be ok to put back in? Is there a reason it needs to be smooth?
head should be smooth , the high spots on the pitts will retain heat, i just took a die grinder and sanded em down when i grenaded mine

1 - 9 of 9 Posts