Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys just wondering if a pipe on an 05 rev 800 does anything powerwise? I have read no, keep the stock pipe. I have an mbrp can right now. So just wondering if i get a different pipe if i will get any louder or gain any power or what. Also thinkn about switchn to the Thing can. Like the noise. Thanks Andy

·
Registered
141 Posts
Totally worth it as long as you dont trail ride it.. like all the stupid kids that shut down trails because they think theyre racers by trying to make there sled the loudest

·
Registered
148 Posts
Need to better define "worth" it. Will just adding a pipe make your sled feel like you hit it with a 40 shot of nitrous? No. Will it move your peak power rpm or change your power band and or torque curve characteristics? Maybe. Will it cut some weight? Sure. Will it shed heat faster? Yup. Will it work better than a stock pipe with engine mods? Probably.

In the end, you have to answer a lot of questions before deciding if it is "worth" it. The long and short of it is that the pipe is just one piece in the performance puzzle. If that is the piece you are missing, it might be worth $1000 to you and zero to the next guy.

I've got a CPI single on my 800 with a HPS can. I bought used and didn't invest a ton of money, I'm more than willing to clutch and jet to the strengths of the pipe and it compliments the mods I have done, so for me, it was well worth it.

You might realize your investment more readily by maybe adding a Boss seat, new skis, or even Float Evolve shocks. But in the end, it's your sled and your $$$$, so it makes you happy- rock on.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Guys just wondering if a pipe on an 05 rev 800 does anything powerwise? I have read no, keep the stock pipe. I have an mbrp can right now. So just wondering if i get a different pipe if i will get any louder or gain any power or what. Also thinkn about switchn to the Thing can. Like the noise. Thanks Andy
Pipes are designed to change your powerband at a different RPM, usually higher. The pipe (not can) is the primary determinant of max hp/rpm, due to the scavenging effect on a 2 stroke. Pipe changes generally work best with other airflow changes, e.g., porting, intake, RAVE's, etc. Pipes are also peculiar to specific elevation ranges, mainly due to the stinger size and backpressure. E.g., the SLP pipe on the HO only works with ported motors, getting max hp at +8300rpm, with zero midrange loss. Stock motor 05 ho was 138ish at sea level, with porting, pipe, head work, airflow, you could easily get 160 sea level out of this motor on pump fuel. Been there, done it. More if you bumped compression, octane, changed timing curve. If I was piping an 05 summit to run above 6k feet, I'd port it also. Otherwise, it's not really worth it. Dynoport might tell you different. More power to them.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
We put a SLP on a 06 with no other change. really nice HP gains.Why? Generally Doo sends all sleds out on the Safe/Rich side and adding the pipe leaned out the jetting so the additional HP gains were noticed.Only under full controlled testing can really determine the HP advantages with corresponding jetting changes.Its an easy turn key way to add some power!

·
Registered
707 Posts
My sled came with an aftermarket stinger. Instead of adding an aftermarket pipe to go with it, I just took all the heavy insulation off of it and had it ceramic coated inside and out along with the Y-Pipe. It sounds better, was real cheap to do, and in the end my sled is lighter.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have just read a lot that the factory pipe is the best. Was just wonderin what people thought. Different opinions i guess?

·
Profile Creeper
14,942 Posts
I have just read a lot that the factory pipe is the best. Was just wonderin what people thought. Different opinions i guess?
alot of people say that the stock pipes are better on every brand. put to be honest. a dyno doesnt really lie. but cans on the other hand usually do not give any HP gains sometimes you lose HP. you do shed weight with both though.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Not worth the money or time, put your money to something more useful, had a BRP pipe on my 05 800X, louder and no more power.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Keep in mind that you can't just throw a pipe on and expect it to work wonders. As mentioned earlier a pipe changes the operating dynamics of your engine. Ports may need to change, RPMs, clutching, gearing, etc. A pipe is part of a system.......you have to understand the system!!

·
On the prowl for POW
1,254 Posts
There are gains to be had with the CPI pipe on the 04-05 800 Summit HO motor.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
We put a SLP on a 06 with no other change. really nice HP gains.Why? Generally Doo sends all sleds out on the Safe/Rich side and adding the pipe leaned out the jetting so the additional HP gains were noticed.Only under full controlled testing can really determine the HP advantages with corresponding jetting changes.Its an easy turn key way to add some power!
The 06 we installed the SLP pipe on rocks, I,ts my buddys sled who has a 2011 XP as well and he says the 06 is stronger.Hmm ,I think it all depends on the baseline jetting.To generalize and say pipes dont work is nuts, They would be out of business and certainly not selling pipes.its a case by case , much depends how bad youve already screwed up the motor with flipped mods. all the parts need to work in harmony,

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I ran a CPI chrome single pipe with singer silencer and noticed a huge difference! But, I didn't see were you listed which sled you have, mxz renegade or summit? It makes a diff as to which sled it is...i kept my pipe and can when I sold the sled, so pm me if you're interested in the pipe or can. [email protected]

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
These are about the smartest answers I have seen in a "Can" thread
More people will learn and maybe stop hating on the "Cans"

·
Premium Member
11,990 Posts
But this topic is really about pipes, thats why you get smarter answers.
Seeing as Im in NY my info on pipes in the mountains is purely heresay but Im told at higher elevation some pipes do offer some added power for the 800HO, for us flatlanders its alot of money for very little gain unless the engine is ported.

Can hater and PROUD OF IT

·
Profile Creeper
14,942 Posts
i had an SPI can on my sled for a season before a put an SPI single pipe and y-pipe on and it actually mellowed out the can some and made it sound pretty nice actually gave it a deeper growl. and yes pipes give HP gains but it depends on who you talk to. idk i tend to believe if a dyno shows HP gains its the truth but thats my OP. just like pretty much everyone else on here. some people think stock is better, and some think pipes are the way to go. and some think cans are stupid and hate them...^^^. its all personal opinion. if you can afford a pipe and want one then i think you should get one.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
As far as I'm concerned, cans give you very little, and are better suited for mtn guys where you shed the weight of your stock suitcase and nobody gives two turds how loud you are, not trail homos. A can may give you 1 or 2 hp, MAYBE! Don't believe everything you read...one company claims with their manifold, pipe, can, head, and a set of reeds I can gain 16 -26hp, I guarantee you you won't...you're telling me all that is going to get me as much gain as a ported big bore, NOT HAPPENING....sorry to get off topic, that's just my .02

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
if your a motorhead,you wouldn't even care.You would just buy a pipe that you can't afford.You'd love your pipe and wouldn't care about the 2 different gloves you're wearing and the duct tape holding your boots together.Just get the dang ole thing and make the highmark !

·
Registered
373 Posts
As far as I'm concerned, cans give you very little, and are better suited for mtn guys where you shed the weight of your stock suitcase and nobody gives two turds how loud you are, not trail homos. A can may give you 1 or 2 hp, MAYBE! Don't believe everything you read...one company claims with their manifold, pipe, can, head, and a set of reeds I can gain 16 -26hp, I guarantee you you won't...you're telling me all that is going to get me as much gain as a ported big bore, NOT HAPPENING....sorry to get off topic, that's just my .02
Us mountain guys have given up thousands of acres of good riding areas because of loud pipes/cans--if you come to Colorado expect to pay a $100 fine for any sled over 88dBa.

BCB

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Swapping in the '05 Summit 800 HO pipe and some mild porting offer a good improvement in top end power on a sea level 800HO without any sacrifice in bottom/mid range. Keeping the stock muffler with the package will work best.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts