Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fueled up on the trail from above ground tanks.
I took it to the dealer cause of extended warrenty.
Dealer says he can't claim it found water and dirt in the carbs.
Just the PTO side burned down, other side looks great.

Wondering if isoproply would have sovled the problem and how much per tank?
Wondering if I should rejet the carbs, currently stock?

·
Certifiable Sledhead and Cybertruck Reservation Ho
4,444 Posts
do_Z_DOO said:
Fueled up on the trail from above ground tanks.
I took it to the dealer cause of extended warrenty.
Dealer says he can't claim it found water and dirt in the carbs.
Just the PTO side burned down, other side looks great.

Wondering if isoproply would have sovled the problem and how much per tank?
Wondering if I should rejet the carbs, currently stock?
That cylinder doesn't look too bad. If the nikasil isn't scored (enough to snag a fingernail in) I'd just put a fresh piston and ring in it and go.

I use 1/2 bottle (the little black gas station kind) of iso per fill (whether 14L or 40L I use the same amount) and I've never had trouble with bad gas and I've fueled up in some pretty rough places (pumped out of drums). Don't worry you can't add too much but you certainly can add too little.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Roamer is right, you cant use too much, I think a bottle to 20 Gallons is recomended but I always split a bottle between two sleds regardless of how much gas I put in. Doo2

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
can't use to much iso ???

it is a drying agent so
to much could also cause problems

·
4,444 Posts
epoxykid said:

it is a drying agent so
[snapback]705857[/snapback]​
That might be the case if you mix your gas and iso 50/50. Realistically you're never going to put too much in even if you use an entire bottle every fill.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Roamer7 said:
epoxykid said:

it is a drying agent so
That might be the case if you mix your gas and iso 50/50. Realistically you're never going to put too much in even if you use an entire bottle every fill.
[snapback]706523[/snapback]​
I read somewhere that Iso is a component of Oxygenated fuel and runs leaner. Heard claims that regular octane is better.

·
4,444 Posts
do_Z_DOO said:
Roamer7 said:
epoxykid said:

it is a drying agent so
[snapback]706523[/snapback]​
I read somewhere that Iso is a component of Oxygenated fuel and runs leaner. Heard claims that regular octane is better.
[snapback]706684[/snapback]​
Isopropyl alchohol is used to protect your sled against lean burndowns caused by ice formation in the fuel system. Oxygenated fuels containing ethanol don't require isopropyl to be added for icing protection (they can have up to 10% alcohol).

·
Registered
516 Posts
First if its under warranty your dealer is being a jerkoff, they should cover it for you.

Next ISO, no problems using a regular size bottle and split it with a riding buddy when you both fill up. Todays bottles say good for 16-20 gallons usually, easy split between two sleds.

just my 2 cents.........mps

·
Premium Member
11,990 Posts
REV*BARON said:
I just looked closer....your jug is toast...see the big crack in the port.
[snapback]707355[/snapback]​
Got a picture of the piston? Thats a better indicator of the cause than aluminum washed on the cylinder. Since the carbs are fed by 1 common fuel line Im curious as to how the other side looks, Id think youd have water in both.

It can be fixed, any cylinder replating company will weld it and rechrome it, some times the cracks come back sometimes they dont, my luck is about 50% in that regard. Another route is sleeving, I had a bad 700 cylinder with 4 cracks in it bored, welded and sleeved by northwest sleeve in december. The workmanship was absolutely perfect, and it looked 100% factory. The sled runs like an animal, and I wouldnt hesitate to do it again. I dont recall the exact cost but it was around $250 but for that cost you may be able to find a used cylinder. Im my case the cylinder had quite an extensive port job and matching another cylinder would have been impossible so it was money well spent.

G

·
sorry for you man......that sux! i use winter warrior ,...one bottle to 10.6 gals of fuel.....everytime i park it in the cold when i dont ride......to get rid of what little condesation it builds..............thats a bunch of crap. i always use it,...my friends use it..........never a problem. your dealer is a putz, and is looking out for brp....not the customers. brp sucks now. they look for any excuse to not warranty their new shatty motors. besides ppl have used dry gas in sled for 30 years with no probs.........then again 30 year old sleds still have good boots.....go figure. i just stay away from gas cans..............they build condesation. brp is really leaving a bad taste in my mouth this year. perhaps my next sled wont be a doo.....i hate to say it. other brands dont go down nearly as much...if at all.my opinionated .02

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.