Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sick of this crappy xs headlight.

High beam works great if you want to study the rivets on your ski loops. I was thinking of lighting a candle and holding it behind my windshield with my left hand.

Don't need brakes, because I'm going too slow, so I don't over drive my candle.

Don't heckle me too much, but I bought a set of these PIAA LED driving lamps. Really good reviews on the ADV rider motorcycle forums.

They're pretty small, and I'm gonna mount them like the CANAM spyder guys are doing, down low and out of the way, but not on the A arm, or if does mount on the A arm, further from the spindle, so it doesn't get hammered as much.. not sure yet.

spyder_zps2f22efe8.jpg

IMG-20140226-02031_zpsfb6602b3.jpg

Will update on Sunday if I get a chance to mount them up. Should have some 6061 laying around the shop..

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I'm interested to see how they work out.

Did you wire them to come on with your high beam or is it a separate switch?

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok they are not as piercing bright as I had hoped, but the light is much more intense and focused than the stock lamps or stock lamps with aftermarket bulbs. They are wired to the red/orange wire that leads to the pod, (power on with engine running) and the supplied switch.

Good thing is, being LED, they draw very low amperage.

High beams only.

IMG-20140311-02065_zpsca88029d.jpg

High beams with driving lamps.

IMG-20140311-02067_zpsba69b4c8.jpg

I'm going to ride with them a bit more, might go with the PIAA 1100 series which is supposed to be a narrower more focused beam.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
its more the farther section is slightly brighter...can see the little bush on the right a bit better and the trees at the end of the beam are more visible but... like I said, not a drastic improvement. going to play with the aiming a bit more, but they might just go on my f150

·
Registered
361 Posts
Rigid LEDs are supposed to put out the most light.... You can get them in many sizes too.

I'm planning on putting two 3" x 3" (4 LEDs) on the front of my Skandic.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I personally think the Cree LED bulbs I put on my 09 xp 800 are brighter than these. Plug and play, no splicing of wires, and fit into stock housings.

EF8E6273-0EE1-4085-A6CC-A48DFBEF3A8D_zps

BF2EDD32-C7CE-451F-A7CF-B87D821733E5_zps

·
Registered
118 Posts
I personally think the Cree LED bulbs I put on my 09 xp 800 are brighter than these. Plug and play, no splicing of wires, and fit into stock housings.

EF8E6273-0EE1-4085-A6CC-A48DFBEF3A8D_zps
You can't just post that without a link. It ain't right! ;)

OP hats off to you for trying something different anyways.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mx, thank sfor the link.

I never had a complaint about the lighting on any of my previous skidoos. Revs and xp, but the headlight lens on my xs has a goofy wave molded right across the middle, which i think just diffuses the beam. At least the xp has only a very slight curve. I tried brighter bulbs, (sylvania) but it only seemd to make the scattered light brighter, not more focused. Might try the rigids..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts