Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
We went for our usual weekly ride (long), man was it cold -45C wind chill, froze 3/4 inch of my right index finger was frost white, did it pain when it thawd the nail is blue 1/4 " from the end and under the finger nail. During the ride I noticed very high RPMs (higher than normal) and on occasion hit the rev limit, over 8500 Rpm, this could be done at any speed and at will. Upon inspection at home, I usually knock all the ice off the sled before putting in garage, I notice a large collecting of ice under the clutches, built up to a point 1/2" from the clutch, inside the right side body cover was covered with 1/4" ice under the air box and cover, the engine was still hot and I noticed water running down the clutch pulley faces.

I have the belt guard plastic cover removed, I know how the snow got in (very fluffy snow -45C), through the vent opening on the right side panel cover, in warmer weather this isn't a problem because the snow is wet and heavier, any snow that does get in is immediately melted, however in this case it was SO cold snow, ice and water built up and melted snow was blow around getting on the clutches causing belt slippage, the belt is also shinny on the sides indicating glazing. I have drain holes in the bottom of this compartment, however they froze over.

I also noted when reved up on the jack stand smoke, vapour is drawn in through that vent in the side panel, hum, I'm going to plug that vent with foam for now, and hopefully I won't ride again in the cold (-45C) again this year but I'll take note for next year's riding.

Thought I'd share my experience with everyone.

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
That finger sounds painful, hope it is not to much problem for you, come close to freezing my finger years ago but did not. The high RPM does sound like snow ingestion thanks for the tip.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts