Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 349 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off my pb-80 has approx 2,000 miles on it all this year. Have been running it with 8 weights in each puck. Took off from a dead dig racing for a minute and got up to 100 or so and got an instant vibration (Felt like I was starting to blow a belt). Checked out the belt and all was good so I thought maybe I caught ice up in the track. Took back off and vibrated for a min and then quit so I figured it shot ice out which I thought it was. Go another half mile and the sled has no throttle response and only going about 60 wide open and no rpm. Stop to check it out and the primary isn't disengaging. Decided to start it with the track off the ground and then just jump on it when it took off to limp back to the house. Had to stay above 40 or it would want to bog down and lock up. About 3 miles go by on the way back and all of the sudden I hear a huge bang and the sled starts free reving. Get off and look and right behind the sled half of a puck is laying on the trail. The cover on the primary is intact along with clutch bolt and nut. Shot the puck thru the belly pan is what looks like happened. I am 100% sure the pucks were installed correctly to rule that out. Any insight is greatly appreciated. Plan on making a phone call to Cudeny tomorrow. 2 bad weekends in a row is getting old now lol. Thanks in advance for any thoughts and help.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You broke a spring cup and then continued to drive it with it being broken and chucked out the pucks too, probably ruining the whole clutch.

http://www.dootalk.com/forums/topic/1199113-clutch-experts-a-few-questions/page-18

When a spring cup breaks, just shut them down people! All you will have to do is replace the spring cup rather than the whole clutch.
So the whole clutch is shot most likely? Can't just replace the spring and cup and the pucks? What else is their to break?

·
Registered
11,244 Posts
I'd say if you shot the puck block out like that you bent the whole aluminum cap.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
So the whole clutch is shot most likely? Can't just replace the spring and cup and the pucks? What else is their to break?
You will need to get apart to look, but my guess is it got tore up pretty bad and will need replaced. I'm sure it tore up the cover, certainly the dampener in the cover and more than likely the puck sliding surfaces. Looking at the steel pucks they hit and wore into something solid. Plus the whole time the movable is wobbling like a mofo and more than likely damaged the bushing and perhaps the movable itself.

There is going to be some carnage and more than likely cheaper to replace the whole thing.

What spring were you running and were you using the black plastic spring guide?

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You will need to get apart to look, but my guess is it got tore up pretty bad and will need replaced. I'm sure it tore up the cover, certainly the dampener in the cover and more than likely the puck sliding surfaces. Looking at the steel pucks they hit and wore into something solid. Plus the whole time the movable is wobbling like a mofo and more than likely damaged the bushing and perhaps the movable itself.

There is going to be some carnage and more than likely cheaper to replace the whole thing.

I am not sure. It was setup by Cudney and all I did was bolt it on and then adjust my weights for RPM. Haven't touched it other than that. Man I bought this thing because I hear how reliable they are and how great they are. Starting to make me question it now. I have never had any issues with a stock clutch on my 1200 or any on my 800s and 600s. Not very pleased about this I can tell ya that. Will be making some phone calls tomorrow. Maybe if I had a ton of miles on it and it broke then I understand. Less than 2,000 on it stuff shouldn't be breaking.

·
Registered
11,244 Posts
You say you have 2000 miles on it, do you remember when you bought it? How old it actually is?

Was hoping the older ones wouldn't have that problem

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
I broke a spring cup couple years ago at 1200 or 1500 miles, I forget. My bud had one break later in the season.

CVTech has a weak spring cup in one version and I'm sure that is the one that broke for you like it has for so many others. There have been many that broke now from the sounds of it. Back a couple of years ago I was one of the very first, now according to Cudney and DooDoctor, there have been many, many more. If I had an older problem cup, I'd be replacing it with the newer version.

The very fist version, (rounded cup with no spring guide provisions) did not have this problem. The latest version with recessed bolts does not seem to have this problem either.

·
Banned
7,722 Posts
I have a used edrive if your interested. Haven't heard of any edrive failures but I'm hearing plenty of Pb80 problems.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
His PB80 was new this fall. Like he said, got it from Bill and was told to bolt it on the way it was, so I'm assuming Bill's spring and I don't believe Bill uses the plastic cup. Hopefully there will be some warranty for him.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
His PB80 was new this fall. Like he said, got it from Bill and was told to bolt it on the way it was, so I'm assuming Bill's spring and I don't believe Bill uses the plastic cup. Hopefully there will be some warranty for him.
That's good if its warrantied, but I want to see a pic of that spring cup to see which version it is. If he bought new this fall then that means it should have the newer spring cup in it, and if that failed, then were going to see this trend continue with new spring cups as well, which will not be cool.

Lets get some pics of that clutch apart and see that spring cup please!

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's good if its warrantied, but I want to see a pic of that spring cup to see which version it is. If he bought new this fall then that means it should have the newer spring cup in it, and if that failed, then were going to see this trend continue with new spring cups as well, which will not be cool.

Lets get some pics of that clutch apart and see that spring cup please!
Will do. I'm headed home now. When I get home I'm going to tear it apart. What kind of warranty do they have? Who would I contact about that?

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have a used edrive if your interested. Haven't heard of any edrive failures but I'm hearing plenty of Pb80 problems.
I have my E drive with only 1900 miles on it from when I put this clutch on. Thank you for the offer though.

·
Registered
11,244 Posts
I'd say you need to contact Bill. If CV has a problem with their springs in there, they should fess up to it. From what I have seen on here, the problem is not with a CV spring, its an aftermarket spring.

I got mine from Bill in the off season, July of 2013, and not sure what I even have. Only thing I have done is check on the pucks and how many. The next time my sled comes out of the trailer the PB80 is coming off and apart. I have low mileage though.

I'm on my 5th kit from Bill going back to the REV days. Bill should make a post on here with pics of the good/correct cups and the bad/prone to break cups. Make a comment on what springs can be used and what can't. Get this problem straightened out before more fly apart.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'd say you need to contact Bill. If CV has a problem with their springs in there, they should fess up to it. From what I have seen on here, the problem is not with a CV spring, its an aftermarket spring.

I got mine from Bill in the off season, July of 2013, and not sure what I even have. Only thing I have done is check on the pucks and how many. The next time my sled comes out of the trailer the PB80 is coming off and apart. I have low mileage though.

I'm on my 5th kit from Bill going back to the REV days. Bill should make a post on here with pics of the good/correct cups and the bad/prone to break cups. Make a comment on what springs can be used and what can't. Get this problem straightened out before more fly apart.
I will be contacting him tomorrow to try and figure out what the deal is. I'm not sure who makes the PB80 but if someone don't care of me on this I won't have much good to say that's Forsure. Very low miles on the clutch for anything to be happening and blowing holes in my belly pan.

1 - 20 of 349 Posts