Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a car port that I park my snowmobile in which has bare ground for a floor. Would it be a good idea to have something between the ground and the track like plywood, or am I over thinking it?

Thanks from a rookie

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Gonna throw a wrench into the convo with this...

I'd be more concerned with parking it for an extended time and leaving shocks in a compressed state. If there is any way to lift to full extension would be more beneficial than anything.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have 3/4 plywood in my garage. Mostly because when my inlaws old sleds ended up there they were studded and I didn't want them tearing up my concrete. Now, my sleds are studless and that plywood will get wet overnight, then freeze when its really cold out and turns to ice. No way to get my sleds out without dragging them by hand. Even wet, plywood is slippery. Most times, just a bit of gas while pushing and i can get them moving. If not, I throw the dollies under and drag them out.

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Gonna throw a wrench into the convo with this...

I'd be more concerned with parking it for an extended time and leaving shocks in a compressed state. If there is any way to lift to full extension would be more beneficial than anything.
Why? Springs don't care if they are stored compressed or free. Don't overthink things. Do you lift your car/truck or park it on plywood when not driving it?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Here in the weird little town way up north almost all snowmobiles are parked on pallets.
There are several thousands of snowmobiles here with only 2400 people in total.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I park my snowmachines with the skis on plywood and the rear of the snowmachines lifted so the the track is in the air.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Too much concern over nothing. Drive sled into car port. Put in reverse to pull out of carport. Ride. Repeat. Only thing to do is break the skis and track loose and you're set.

In addition, I've seen front shocks go out or springs permanently sack out when the track is up in the air putting a lot of weight on the front end. Store level when riding season is over. The track is not going to rot if sitting on concrete or wood. If outside for storage, throw a 4"x4" block in the track and skis.

·
I need a life
45,284 Posts
I park my drag sled on a tire just so it doesn't freeze to the ground

I have never understood how you can park a car for 10 years without lifting it off the ground to rest the shocks.

I would love to see real data on this

·
Registered
844 Posts
I elevate the track so that the weight of the sled doesn’t bend the paddles over. The one machine has 2 1/4” paddles and the other machine has 1 1/2” paddles.

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
I elevate the track so that the weight of the sled doesn't bend the paddles over. The one machine has 2 1/4" paddles and the other machine has 1 1/2" paddles.
Given the weight of the rear of a sled divided by the number of lugs touching the ground = next to nothing on your lugs

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
My are parked under our deck. I keep a few old 2x4s laying around. When the sled is parked we just throw a board under the track and each ski. Trying to keep the sled from freezing to the ground. Next time out just rock it back and forth before driving away.

·
Registered
762 Posts
We also store our sleds on rear stands after every weekend. This allows us to spin the track when we store it and again when we take it out. This loosens up the track and skid, and allows the belt to get round again and warm up under minimal load.

I really don't know if it truly helps with anything, but after 30 years, I'm not going to stop now!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts