Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Yall,

Wondering if I can get any suggestions on solutions, or rubbing compounds for removing overspray. My relative was spraying benches outside our garage and didn't realize a draft was bringing overspray into the garage on 2 of our sleds, both are 15' renegades. Its not too noticeable from a far, but its white overspray on the plastics and tunnels. Any tips would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1999 mxz 670HO
3,148 Posts
Well if it’s just spray paint from a rattle can, then a rag with some gas on it will take it right off. Then use another rag with WD40 on it and wipe it down.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I second the gas on a rag. Take the paint right off. Then wash with Dawn dish soap. Will clean any gas residue off. The gas will take any polish you may have applied off so you will need to polish it again.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well if it’s just spray paint from a rattle can, then a rag with some gas on it will take it right off. Then use another rag with WD40 on it and wipe it down.
It was Tremclad Paint for metal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Clay bar ftw!!

I used to work for a guy painting barn roofs and unfortunately for me had previous experience buffing cars.

At the end of every season I was tasked with removing all the overspray from the truck. Would literally be 4 or 5 times thicker than the actual paint. After a couple days I'd have 90% plus of the overspray off using the clay bar and then giver a good buff job, good as new!!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I second on clay bar, I've been in the body shop business for over 40 years and they make a overspray clay bar, works awesome and will actually polish up the Finnish
What brand do you recommend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
I would test a small area first with a damp rag with the recommended solvent, I believe it's mineral spirits or acetone for tremclad then follow up with a wax, should save you a lot of time

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
I was detailing cars at the time, and a company came in to paint some big tanks and equipment at the industry I worked at. Really high tanks and the yellow paint drifted and got any car that was in the parking lot as well as the neighbouring lot. The clay worked great on the paint, glass, then a quick buff and wax, most cars looked a lot better when they went back than before the incident. Another car wash was also doing some but was using some kind of paint thinner. Never heard of any problems, but I preferred the clay, pretty amazing if you have never used it.
Clay bar ftw!!

I used to work for a guy painting barn roofs and unfortunately for me had previous experience buffing cars.

At the end of every season I was tasked with removing all the overspray from the truck. Would literally be 4 or 5 times thicker than the actual paint. After a couple days I'd have 90% plus of the overspray off using the clay bar and then giver a good buff job, good as new!!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks all for the advice, looking forward to trying to clay bar the sleds this weekend. Just one question, Is clay safe for the shiny plastics on the sleds?

Thanks

1 - 19 of 19 Posts