Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just dropped my 17' at the dealer to have the fuel line recall done. They called me back and said my Clutch rollers are already shot!.. Ive got 3100 miles. would have expected this with the old TRA but i thought the new Clutch was supposed to last longer?? Got a DJs clutch kit in it and wondering if anyone knows of some tougher aftermarket rollers. Stock is $200 for the set of 6!! Another BRP ripoff! :angry2:

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Just dropped my 17' at the dealer to have the fuel line recall done. They called me back and said my Clutch rollers are already shot!.. Ive got 3100 miles. would have expected this with the old TRA but i thought the new Clutch was supposed to last longer?? Got a DJs clutch kit in it and wondering if anyone knows of some tougher aftermarket rollers. Stock is $200 for the set of 6!! Another BRP ripoff! :angry2:
what did the rollers do? Flat spot?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
That's alot of miles on a 2017. I only had 600 on my 17 RMK when I traded it in for this sled in March. I need to get more trips in I guess.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Fuzzy but not Blue........
10,650 Posts

·
Metalhead
9,088 Posts
Yes, have had customers w/backshift problems, and after going through a checklist, some of those rollers stick on the axle. One guy (gerry) had to change the spider because the roller wore into it. When i get back to the city, ill post a few pics. (Out in forest helpin my bud, runnin a 450 hitachi he he)
Ill see if pVille summit will post here what he knows of them rollers.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Joe! Not sure what exactly is worn out. The mechanic just said the rollers and quoted me at $500 to replace them. When i pick it up tomorrow i will know more and update you guys. Fortunately i have all the Clutch tools from when i installed Joes kit so that should save me the labor.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
Hard to put full blame on BRP when you are running a aftermarket clutch kit. I'm not saying you shouldn't, I do too! One thing I will note though is that any clutch kit that requires a lot of side weight is at higher risk of wearing out clutch bushing. I know there was a short video up last year showing excessive wear from side loading a lot of weight which wore out some bushings causing the weights to have a ton of play back and forth. I personally will only use ramps that allow for center/tip loading of weight.

·
Metalhead
9,088 Posts
Hard to put full blame on BRP when you are running a aftermarket clutch kit. I'm not saying you shouldn't, I do too! One thing I will note though is that any clutch kit that requires a lot of side weight is at higher risk of wearing out clutch bushing. I know there was a short video up last year showing excessive wear from side loading a lot of weight which wore out some bushings causing the weights to have a ton of play back and forth. I personally will only use ramps that allow for center/tip loading of weight.
What is a lot?

11g?, 25g?, 30g?, 18g?, 19g?, 21g?, 14g?

Im just pulling random numbers out of the air because im looking for the value of grams you know of.

Draw a line in the sand, this amount "X" is not a lot. This amount "Y" and more weight is a lot...and does damage. Do you have that information? Does anyone have this information?

Every accusation should be made positively and not equivocal. It is not sufficient to say " requires a lot of side weight is at higher risk of wearing out" because it lacks positiveness that anyone can trust; its incomplete.

If the matter "wear" involved in the accusation is within your knowledge, the question of uncertainty the claim places, cant be taken advantage of by the person having that information; make clear that (wear) equates with (lot of weight) - don't just tell 1/2 a story.

Whoever opens his mouth can clarify what is "a lot" and what is "not a lot" - they should be able to draw a line in the sand.

Also, whoever feeds this information yer eating, that person may not confuse his statement of facts as to subject them to two constructions (making a grey area) and then take advantage of the construction "wear equates with heavy weight" that's most favorable in light of him.

Then sleds using turbos with pDrives should wear out clutches even faster than a stock engine with a clutch kit "requiring a lot of side weight".

·
Metalhead
9,088 Posts
Seized roller. Pulled hard towards top end. Backing off throttle, back on throttle, engine speed low, has to slow down track speed to allow engine rpm to recover. Primary clutch hangs up until vehicle speed lowers.

Gerry said it was jammed near solid. Dealer replaced gouged spider. All rolling element surfaces must be flat or the clutch will bind under load change.

The dealer changed one roller and the spider complete. It was the solution to Gerry's backshift problem. Performance returned with Motocross bike response. brap brap.. :RevDude:

Ive had sticking rollers on my pDrive since new, even when stock. I loosened them up with chlorinated brake kleen. Thursday or Friday evenings (during riding season) I give em' a flick with my fingers to see if they roll.

gerrys seized pdrive.jpg

Attachments

·
Vendor
4,818 Posts
What is a lot?

11g?, 25g?, 30g?, 18g?, 19g?, 21g?, 14g?

Im just pulling random numbers out of the air because im looking for the value of grams you know of.

Draw a line in the sand, this amount "X" is not a lot. This amount "Y" and more weight is a lot...and does damage. Do you have that information? Does anyone have this information?

Every accusation should be made positively and not equivocal. It is not sufficient to say " requires a lot of side weight is at higher risk of wearing out" because it lacks positiveness that anyone can trust; its incomplete.

If the matter "wear" involved in the accusation is within your knowledge, the question of uncertainty the claim places, cant be taken advantage of by the person having that information; make clear that (wear) equates with (lot of weight) - don't just tell 1/2 a story.

Whoever opens his mouth can clarify what is "a lot" and what is "not a lot" - they should be able to draw a line in the sand.

Also, whoever feeds this information yer eating, that person may not confuse his statement of facts as to subject them to two constructions (making a grey area) and then take advantage of the construction "wear equates with heavy weight" that's most favorable in light of him.

Then sleds using turbos with pDrives should wear out clutches even faster than a stock engine with a clutch kit "requiring a lot of side weight".
saving this one...

pretty sure I dont have this problem, when you can load an extra 11 grams into the body of the weight (more cow bell) plus the proper springs/helix for a turbo, you dont need a lot of pivot bolt weight...

just saying-BJ

*venom has rollers too

·
Metalhead
9,088 Posts
saving this one...

pretty sure I dont have this problem, when you can load an extra 11 grams into the body of the weight (more cow bell) plus the proper springs/helix for a turbo, you dont need a lot of pivot bolt weight...

just saying-BJ

*venom has rollers too
I was being facetious about "weight and turbo" comment.
I striked the surplus jargon having no relevancy.
"Pretty sure" means you're 65% certain, but... And i'm pretty sure you're approximately right. :p

Into the ramp, on the side of the ramp, or pivot bolt, so what; which composite application has a drawback?

IF the engine needs "X" amount of grams (more mass or less mass) to correct speed, does not matter how you hang the weight on the ramp, THEN change the mass of the ramp.

IF the engine speed is not straight, THEN change where the mass is on the ramp by moving the composites, OR, change the primary spring start or finish force, OR change the clicker; to straighten the shift rpms.

A sincere question) What is "a lot" of pivot bolt weight?

You, nor anyone else need to give an answer because there is none to explain what "a lot" is.

Lets Tune...

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
"What is Alot of weight"??? Thats a difficult question to answer due to different variables. "Alot" based on centrifugal force would be, enough mass on one side to create a unbalanced force on the pivot point.

This in the past, has wore out parts faster than necessary, especially if the aftermarket flyweight hangs its tuning mass on one side of the flyweight.

Now With the availability of different flyweights from the manufacturer, hanging excessive mass on one side can be avoided by the tuner. The tuner can choose a heavier BRP flyweight, and fine tune with the pivot weight.

Does one design have an advantage over another??? Yes and no, depends on the situation.

Back to the Rollers. When I PDI'ed my sled after taking delivery, I also noticed excessive oil on the primary. My rollers were also sticky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
"What is Alot of weight"??? Thats a difficult question to answer due to different variables. "Alot" based on centrifugal force would be, enough mass on one side to create a unbalanced force on the pivot point.

This in the past, has wore out parts faster than necessary, especially if the aftermarket flyweight hangs its tuning mass on one side of the flyweight.

Now With the availability of different flyweights from the manufacturer, hanging excessive mass on one side can be avoided by the tuner. The tuner can choose a heavier BRP flyweight, and fine tune with the pivot weight.

Does one design have an advantage over another??? Yes and no, depends on the situation.

Back to the Rollers. When I PDI'ed my sled after taking delivery, I also noticed excessive oil on the primary. My rollers were also sticky.

Good points and I would think that adding side weight to fine tune would be just fine but adding side weight to make major elevation adjustments sounds like a bad idea. I specifically went with SHR adjustable weights for this purpose and have since changed to the SLP weights for better low end, lower engagement, and even easier elevation adjustments (no need to clamp the clutch).

·
Vendor
4,818 Posts

Have pictures/customers with wore out clicker cams and ramps hitting clutch so YES you can add to much pivot bolt weight...

There is a HUGE difference between PB or tip weight adjustment in how the clutch works, shifts and holds the belt...

Putting lower finish spring force spring will help the wrong ramp but then you lose backshift when loaded...

Skidoo doesnt have a heavier flyweight for the summit that would work....

Having the summit ramp profile (SHR967A) and the abilty to go from 46-57 grams per ramp PLUS clickers PLUS PB adj to fine tune on the hill PLUS billet steal made in the USA PLUS the matching springs/helix makes for a complete hi/lo kit vs a box of adj arms made in china (some kits/not all) and no directions??

*not sure how "facetious" describes a specific tuning statement?

Reactions: Daag44 and Caper11
1 - 14 of 14 Posts