Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have a 1998 Formula Z 670 with 4000kms on it. I was riding around the trails last weekend and i noticed that my sled runs pretty hot, like right below the red zone on the heat gauge. The weird thing is that when i am stopped (idling) the heat gauge will drop down pretty fast to below half, but then jump back up to hot when i would start riding again. The trail conditions i was riding in was freshly groomed, but it was -30 C out and there was lots of snow hitting the heat exchangers.

Now the other weird thing was the next day when i was riding on trails that were kinda tore up (lots of loose snow) the sled ran all day around 3/4 toward the red zone but no higher really.

Now my question is, is this normal ? Is there anything i could check or try to fix this problem....is this a problem ? Coolant change ? Air lock ?

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
461 Posts
just for the heck of it check your plugs and tell us what color they are. i cant really tell you right now. my temp gauge doesnt work & i jsut bought the sled in march of last year. i replaced the temp sensor & am now waiting for a good used gauge from a dootalk member. as soon as i find out i'll let you know how mine does on the trails.

on a new note, what skis do you have and how does your sled turn on the trails? let me know your suspension settings so i have a baase to start from. i weigh about 200lbs and heres my current set up. precision skis w 4.5" sharper bars.
ride fx rear shocks, ad boivin springs set to lightest preload, stock front shocks and springs set to 3rd preload setting. im not sure on the position of hte limiter strap. the problem i had was turning on powder. got inside ski lift.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I've been asking the same questions concerning temp on the F670. dbenny & Raven has been a great help. My sled runs the temp gauge up at low speeds. Ckecked everything short of pulling off the water pump (but I really don't think that a problem.

I think it's all about get snow up on the radiators. I ran hard the other day in loose snow and the gauge stayed at or below 1/4, I was thinking it was running too cool.

Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have read on several other forums that this running hot at low speeds with a 670 is a fairly common problem, so i am not as worried as i once was because when i ride the sled hard and fast (ie. spinning the track) the sled runs pretty cool. I think my best bet would be to change the coolant as preventative maintenance then just ride it and keep an eye on it.

Anybody have instructions about how to change the coolant on one of these sleds ?

dbenney: My skis are Precisions with 4.5" Bombardier carbides, for suspension settings i have the front shocks (stock) as their softest setting (ie. least amount of ski pressure), i have the limiter strap as tight as it will go and i have the rear shocks on setting number three. I weigh 140 lbs and with this setup i get very very little to no inner ski lift. I also found with this sled you have to tuck up very close to the gas tank when you want to really rail a corner, this will pretty much eliminate ski lift, and it REALLY makes the sled rail corners. So far i am loving the precision skis, they really make this sled handle very well. I have only had the sled since November so i am still "learning" how to ride it hard and fast, but so far i am impressed.

Thanks for everyones help !!

·
Registered
859 Posts
I just got back from a four day trail ride. My temps never exceeded 1/2 on the gauge. Even on the warm days riding hardpack it didn't even come close to overheating. I'm running precision ski's with skidoo carbides. Stock suspension, front springs set in middle preload setting (i think), rear in middle also (i think), I weight about 150 lb. One the trails, ski lift and "pushing" is non-existant, especially if you lean in and forward a little. I'm running 144 studs and the rear is still looser that the front on the trail. In the powder these skis just plain suck though.

·
Registered
27 Posts
ravenz670 said:
I just got back from a four day trail ride. My temps never exceeded 1/2 on the gauge. Even on the warm days riding hardpack it didn't even come close to overheating. I'm running precision ski's with skidoo carbides. Stock suspension, front springs set in middle preload setting (i think), rear in middle also (i think), I weight about 150 lb. One the trails, ski lift and "pushing" is non-existant, especially if you lean in and forward a little. I'm running 144 studs and the rear is still looser that the front on the trail. In the powder these skis just plain suck though.
[snapback]283524[/snapback]​
i had a 96 formula III and ran lots of powder with it, tried various skis, but found simmons flexi skis to work best. check em out at www.flexi-ski.com!!!!

·
Registered
461 Posts
LOL darn u guys! i dont even remember when i weighed 140-150 lbs. LOL iv weighed 165 or more since i was 14. im 34 now and weigh in at just about 200. i got a trip planned in 2 weeks so i am guessing i'll be doing lots of suspension adjustment.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Hello all. New here and I just bought a '98 Formula Z 670 and a '98 MXZ 440 for the wife. Been out of sleds for awhile.

I'm just noticed the same problem on my 670. Running quite hot today. Just hitting the red and I'd shut down and let it cool.

What is the possibility of the impeller being bad? I just ordered a new one and don't want to change if I don't have to but I noticed when it's hot it wants to shut down at an idle. I'm worried about overheating. I've only had it 4 days.

Also, did I get a good deal on these?
I paid $3000 for both sleds with an aluminum trailer. The 440 has 1200 miles on it and the 670 has 1600 miles. The guy never rode and wants to buy a Harley.

They're both very clean and this overheating is the only thing that bothers me. I've had the 670 over 80mph already and she just flies.

·
Registered
461 Posts
sounds like a good deal to me ram. i paid $1700 for my FZ and it needed a new track hifax, gears & chain, 2 new idlers nad a couple of missing suspension parts. i got lucky and found a used 2 place al trailer for $350. are you sure your wife can handle the MXZ 440? its a wicked fast sled from what iv heard. i guess you cant go by engine cc here. LOL and congrats on yuour purchase steal.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Yeah, I'm going to take the 440 out myself tomorrow and see how she does. The wife hasn't gone over 35 on it. lol

And thanks!

This is a great forum btw. Awesome. Glad I found it. Learned a few things already just browsing over pages of topics.

Can't wait to get some pics of the sleds up.

·
Registered
461 Posts
yeah lets see them! i love this forum also. im new to sledding and iv learned everything i know from my repair manual, a buddy that also has a 98 FZ 670 and this site. not necessarily in that order. LOL in case you havent seen it heres a pic of my babe.

Attachments

·
Registered
586 Posts
Ram

If you paid $3,500 and the sleds & trailer is in good shape, you got a deal. I paid $4,000 in 2003 for my 98 FZ670, a 97 F500 Deluxe (both with about 2000 miles on them), and a trailer. The trailer was crap, replaced it after 1 season. I had to do a few things to the sleds, but no big deal. Both are good machines, the Deluxe is great for my daughters w / electric start and reverse.

About the heating problem, I went round and round. It's the nature of the beast. Especial when my wife or kids ride the 670, putt putt putt = overheat

·
Registered
335 Posts
Yeah, I paid $3000 even and I think it's a great deal. As for the overheating, it must be a sticky thermostat. Fired it up this morning and let it run for 15 minutes. It appeared to be circulating now and the temp never went above 1/4 of the way up on the gauge. It would drop a tad and idle up just a few rpms then go up a tad and idle down a few rpms.
I ordered a new one. Better safe than sorry. I had keep shutting down yesterday when it got up near the red and let it cool down. Did this like 6 times on the way back just to make sure I didn't overheat it and do damage.

Few pics of my babies.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ram,
I had the same pair of sleds back in '98 '99 when they were new, VERY fun! the 670 absolutly hauled, and the 440 was so much fun that I stole it from my girlfriend when she wasnt riding!!.
The only time I overheated was when I was riding hard packed (almost ice) without studs, nothing getting on the exchangers. funny thing was that it was like -15f out!!. but that was my only prob.

Good luck, Mike

1 - 14 of 14 Posts