Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

Oregon or Montana gps for 2013 Renegade X 800

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  **sj** 
#1 ·
I am looking to get a gps for my husbands 2013 renegade x 800. It looks like I am down to the Oregon on a Ram mount for about $300 total, or, Montana and get the glove box extension, but that would be about $700!!

I know the Montana would be NICER, but is it really worth the price difference?

I have read that the Oregon is hard to see is daylight? Has anyone compared the 2? The stores don't seem to have these models on display for me to check out, so I would just have to buy online.

Appreciate any help. Thanks and Happy Sledding!

#2 ·
Used, compared and have.

Get the powered AMPs cradle for the Montana and RAM arm + u-bolt mounting ball (< $60). Get the Montana 600 from GPSCity.com or hunt around for a better price; they have the 600 for $470 but I've seen them on sale for a flat $400 around the holidays. Should be around $525 to your door (then you need maps).

The Oregon is great, can find the 450 for $200 with RAM mount for ~$30 (GPSCity is $270 right now for the GPS). There are a bunch of Oregon models, the 450 and 550 (and newer) improved the screen quite a bit over the earlier ones.

Works best, like any unit, when the backlight is on which means powered off the sled. Still fine in the daylight if his sled can't provide power and you have to run it off the batteries, just better with external power (and this is true of the Montana and any other GPS).

He will be happier with the Montana, the screen is that much better/bigger, but you have to decide if he will be $300 happier.

#3 ·
His sled has an optional extended glovebox to get for $60, then we still have to get the mount to attach to the glovebox.

Do you think it would be easier to see and use if it was on the glovebox (under windhsield) or on the handlebars?

Do you use your Montana riding instead of the Oregon?

I just want to do this right the first time with no regrets :}

Thanks!

#4 ·
I find they work better when mounted to the bars for how I ride. If he is off-trail, aggressive riding, using the center bar grab handle, then the handlebar mount probably won't work well for him and I'd consider the glove box. Most any other type of riding, having it on the bars reduces vibration and makes it easier to read (both vibration and proximity).

I use the Montana more than the Oregon (I normally run different models all together, but have a different need). Cost is the only issue not to go with the Montana and with a 2013 sled, it's a pretty small investment (in the whole package). One thought is to get the Oregon and if he likes it, but wants a bigger screen, get the Montana next season and put the Oregon on yours.

#6 ·
Yeah, it is a small investment compared to the sled! I will get the Montana, but probably wait for a Black Friday sale. The snow is starting to melt here! Just means we will have to travel further to find the snow!

I put the NH and ME snowmobile maps on my regular Nuvi and will pull it out of my dash bag.

Thanks for the help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.