Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get a GPS, I have always wanted one, but never really been able to tell what my best bet it. Its easy to decide which unit is best for a single application, but not for all around use.

I want something that is rugged, waterproof, easy to use swap from machine to hand held, lasts a good while on battery, and is minimally effected by weather.

I'd like it to withstand all the following...

Snowmobiling
Dirt Biking
Quads
Dune Buggy's
Rockcrawling (buggies and trucks)
Muddy Watery trails (drummond and Canada)
Jet Skiing (stand up)
Geo Caching (with above rigs)
Hiking
Camping
Mountain Biking

I ride hard and fast, and the rough stuff doesn't bother me at all, so my rigs take a beating.
The only thing I don't ride hard and fast is my dirt bike, but that's just because I'm just starting so i crash a lot.

I'd like to mount it to the handle bars or cage so it will see a lot of jolts and vibrations. It also needs to work well from -30 up to 100* or more.

There is a possibility that it may get used as an on road nav device, if we take someone else' truck or something of the sort, or if I buy a road bike.

I like the touch screen, as anything waterproof with buttons always just get packed full of dirt and becomes useless. I think the touch is a good advantage to keep the size down. It appears to have no antenna, so that's a packaging plus as well.

Is this a good choice, or is there a better unit out there that i haven't found yet?

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have the ORE. 550T and use it on both snowmachine and ATV, love it to death, no problems and it takes decent pics. Use the 12v power cord and lithium batteries when ever possible. Unit will shut down after 10 sec. when 12v is lost and power up auto. when restored.
Steve

·
Registered
257 Posts
uhh... the stand up jetski might be pushing it, lol.

I ride with a 60cx on dirtbikes, snowmobiles, and hunting. It's a good unit I think, haven't had any issues with it. What I do like about it is takes AA's so you can carry more batteries with you. If you have a unit that has to be plugged in to be charged you're SOL if the battery dies. For mounting a GPS get a RAM mount. Get the cradle that holds the GPS, then you can get the handle bar mount or a suction mount that the cradle mounts to. I see you show Drummond Island up there, if you're gonna be riding in Michigan vvmapping.com sells the snowmobile trails and dirtbike trails for your GPS. I have 3 seasons with their software and love it. It makes a world of difference when you can see the trails on your GPS.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
uhh... the stand up jetski might be pushing it, lol.

I ride with a 60cx on dirtbikes, snowmobiles, and hunting. It's a good unit I think, haven't had any issues with it. What I do like about it is takes AA's so you can carry more batteries with you. If you have a unit that has to be plugged in to be charged you're SOL if the battery dies. For mounting a GPS get a RAM mount. Get the cradle that holds the GPS, then you can get the handle bar mount or a suction mount that the cradle mounts to. I see you show Drummond Island up there, if you're gonna be riding in Michigan vvmapping.com sells the snowmobile trails and dirtbike trails for your GPS. I have 3 seasons with their software and love it. It makes a world of difference when you can see the trails on your GPS.
I don't usually ride on Drummond, but spend a lot of time with wheelers there. I ride around home in the Williamsburg/Kalkaska/Mancelona area, and all over the UP, from Castle Rock all the way to the tip of the Keewenaw. Downloading maps to it for is something I planned to do, as well as map some back trails.

As for my ski, it says submersible right?!?!?! I would like to get it on there just for a couple speed runs, and call it good, that's about it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Cool, I'm sure you'll make a good decision on a GPS and will like it.

A little more on vvmapping, they show if you're on public land or on somebodies private land, I like that feature. They now do routing on the trails so you can get turn by turn directions (I don't use that). They're the only ones that sell dirtbike and sled trails. You can view the maps and trails in mapsource which allows you to measure distances so if you wanna ride somewhere you can measure how many miles it is to see if you can make the ride in the amount of time you wanna do it in. And the customer service is great if you need it and he's a local in Michigan.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts