Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 193 Posts

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone run the option belt gaurd? Doo claims 30 degrees cooler ?? This is now std on the 2012 summit model. Part #860200714

·
Registered
424 Posts
I see part number 417300420 which is a full cover "duct' guard.

It looks interesting but not the same as one Pit Grunt posted at Haydays.(below)
Just heard from my rep today about it.... It's on the 2012 Summit X and Freeride models standard. It was supposed to make it into the 2012 Accessory book but didn't. He said it creates a " vortex " that draws in cooler air and drops belt temps... We will see I guess.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm also curious about this, the BRP tech told me to order one because of the signifcant temperature drop, I mean alot of people take off the plastic piece to keep the heat out of the belt area...but u risk water getting in there and belt slip

·
Registered
77 Posts
I would also be interested I have an xrs on the way and I'd love to get one if they are claiming cooler belt temps where can I get my hjands on one

·
Registered
815 Posts
It's made of unobtainium and uses rare earth magnets to draw heat out of the clutches. It's also reported to add 10 HP.
LOL! A little Avatar spin on this...I love it. Which probably is fitting for this situation. This is probably just another profit dig from ski-doo to its customers. Just like they come up with a new belt every year that cost another $10 each. Some logical people may argue that a sled manufacturer should offer a clutch/belt setup that lasts longer than 200 miles when driven off the showroom floor. I would be very cautious about this mod...another add-on from ski-doo to fix their junk engineering on the clutches/belts for the XP.

If this really does work...ski-doo should offer it for FREE as a recall to every single XP they've built over the last 4 years...

·
Registered
13,874 Posts
I'm leery of it too. But we haven't had any belt problems with our XP 600 etecs. Replaced belts at 3,500mi. and they were still good

·
Registered
151 Posts
Well cooler clutches do save belts, Dynamo Joe has posted some good info on his site about belt temps exceeding their maximum temp range and causing premature failure. Anything you can do to remove heat from the clutches is a bonus. Is this new belt guard the real deal or smoking mirrors. I guess well have to wait and try it out to find out. But if you can't get the heat out of the engine compartment, creating a vortex of hot air inside the compartment is just a convection oven. What they need is a little electric fan on the side panels that pulls the hot air out. Hmmmm

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Well cooler clutches do save belts, Dynamo Joe has posted some good info on his site about belt temps exceeding their maximum temp range and causing premature failure. Anything you can do to remove heat from the clutches is a bonus. Is this new belt guard the real deal or smoking mirrors. I guess well have to wait and try it out to find out. But if you can't get the heat out of the engine compartment, creating a vortex of hot air inside the compartment is just a convection oven. What they need is a little electric fan on the side panels that pulls the hot air out. Hmmmm
Or attach a plastic fan to primary like Artic Cat did for 2012. I read it dropped clutch temps 50 degrees.

·
Registered
6,254 Posts
Or just buy a tube frame/mesh side panel for the clutch side. If they weren't so expensive I'd have one. But I guess I'm just gonna buy some perforated aluminum and Petscreen off the interweb, and vent the entire panel instead. That'll keep the clutches cooler. And probably for less money than this new clutch cover

·
Registered
8,487 Posts
I love the idea and if it works even better. My question is why wasn't this standard equipment on all of there higher HP models. I guess maybe they couldn't get enough built on time.

I don't care if it is SkiDoo, Arctic Cat, Polaris, or Yamaha the belt has to slip to change gear ratios and there will be heat generated. There is a percentage of the total HP converted to heat. The more horsepower the more heat being generated no matter who's clutches are being used. I hear how poor the SkiDoo TRA clutches are but they still must be pretty good seeing they won the 800 and 1000 stock classes at Haydays this year. Amazing since the 2012 800 Cat is supposed to be so much faster this year.

1 - 20 of 193 Posts