Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The OPP were doing radar out near Barrie on Sunday. They clocked one guy doing 160kmh in a 50 (Idiot he should be on a lake). My problem is nobody does 50kmh and they nabed everyone. Do you even need a license to drive a sled?
 

·
Snow Deprived
Joined
·
727 Posts
They were doing radar all around Muskoka a couple weekends ago, the cops were definetly trying to compensate. A few years ago my cousin and I and his buddy were riding, his buddy was out in front on his 800 and got clocked doing 168 kph. He was let off with a warning because he was the fastest of the day. BTW this was on the Magnetewan.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
rev-limiter said:
The OPP were doing radar out near Barrie on Sunday. They clocked one guy doing 160kmh in a 50 (Idiot he should be on a lake). My problem is nobody does 50kmh and they nabed everyone. Do you even need a license to drive a sled?
[snapback]738918[/snapback]​
In Ontario You can get a Snowmobile license at the age of 12. On the OFSCA web site you can find out were you can go. My daughter got her license at the snowmobile show at the International Centre in Toronto by the airport. Its a one day course. Cost is $30.00 Can. I believe. She can ride on the trails only. She is not supposed to ride on the public roads, but we do from trail to trail. I dont know what they would do to her if she got caught speeding. OPP is on a blitz because of the high speed casualties lately. In a way its good, because some people come flying around the corners at high speed and cross the trail to the other lane. Its scary when you ride with your kids. Ride Safe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
481 Posts
Yeah the OPP and local cops all do radar, I saw the OPP in barrie on the weekend too. I think the guys infront of us got a ticket, but they waved my uncle and I through, we were good boys. they were on a road way too, so speed was only about 30 KPH there.
I have seen them many times before, in Durham and Barrie, etc, watch out cause the tickets you get on your sled count on your car insurance too.
And YES you need a valid drivers licence or a Snowmobile Licence witch you can get at the age of 12. in Ont.

Rev500ss
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Yep, got one too on Sunday afternoon just outside Barrie. $110. Down in a corner of a trail that follows a dead end road. The officer said "if you want to open it up in a field or lake, we won't jump out from behind a tree and get you, but on a road, we get complaints all the time". I guess he had a point, but 50km/h does seem awfully slow after coming out of a forest and hitting a nice, straight, frozen road....
 

·
Just doo it.
Joined
·
690 Posts
Man, try having to go 30 everywhere or else its fine.. tehy can even claim you were voer the limit ond not have a radar or anytihng, just guess. When theyre arent around though, well you can figure out the rest.

WOT
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,111 Posts
darn, I guess I am never going to Canada. Whats the speed limit there? I thought that New York was bad!
 

·
Stretch in '08!
Joined
·
516 Posts
The speed limit here in ontario is a whopping, wrinkle flattening, everything blurry 50 km/h. 20 km/h in town limits. i got clocked at 77 in a 50, the cop just shrugged it off and said to slow 'er down a few notches. I'd like to get them on radar when they dont expect it. i bet they're not doing 50 km/h or less. us Ontarioans should get a petition going or something to raise the limit, not to crazy speeds but more like 70 or 80 in selected areas. forest trails where its tight and twisty, 50 is just fine. but on an old rail bed type of trail up it to 70 or 80. I'm pretty sure the lakes here are like the autobahn. go your own speed
..... WOT. well thats my 2 shiney pennys for y'all.

Mr. X
 
G

·
Mr. X said:
The speed limit here in ontario is a whopping, wrinkle flattening, everything blurry 50 km/h. 20 km/h in town limits. i got clocked at 77 in a 50, the cop just shrugged it off and said to slow 'er down a few notches. I'd like to get them on radar when they dont expect it. i bet they're not doing 50 km/h or less. us Ontarioans should get a petition going or something to raise the limit, not to crazy speeds but more like 70 or 80 in selected areas. forest trails where its tight and twisty, 50 is just fine. but on an old rail bed type of trail up it to 70 or 80. I'm pretty sure the lakes here are like the autobahn. go your own speed
..... WOT. well thats my 2 shiney pennys for y'all.

Mr. X
[snapback]740303[/snapback]​
That a excellent idea In the tight twisty area`s 50kph definitely! but on stretches at least 80kph!! Nobody does 50kph on straight stretches
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,198 Posts
aaronj said:
Yep, got one too on Sunday afternoon just outside Barrie. $110. Down in a corner of a trail that follows a dead end road. The officer said "if you want to open it up in a field or lake, we won't jump out from behind a tree and get you, but on a road, we get complaints all the time". I guess he had a point, but 50km/h does seem awfully slow after coming out of a forest and hitting a nice, straight, frozen road....
[snapback]740206[/snapback]​
I've never been out on the trails in Barrie with my sled but I've seen them there often when riding my quad. I wonder if the dead end road you're speaking of is the same place I've been stopped on the ATV. A stretch of dirt road with a 90 degree bend and ends up in a dead end leading to the trail up to Orr Lake? Not sure of the name but I was reemed about noise pollution and riding on the road, etc., etc. Some of the neighbours even came out to watch to their satisfaction.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
500ss man said:
Mr. X said:
The speed limit here in ontario is a whopping, wrinkle flattening, everything blurry 50 km/h. 20 km/h in town limits. i got clocked at 77 in a 50, the cop just shrugged it off and said to slow 'er down a few notches. I'd like to get them on radar when they dont expect it. i bet they're not doing 50 km/h or less. us Ontarioans should get a petition going or something to raise the limit, not to crazy speeds but more like 70 or 80 in selected areas. forest trails where its tight and twisty, 50 is just fine. but on an old rail bed type of trail up it to 70 or 80. I'm pretty sure the lakes here are like the autobahn. go your own speed
..... WOT. well thats my 2 shiney pennys for y'all.

Mr. X
[snapback]740303[/snapback]​
That a excellent idea In the tight twisty area`s 50kph definitely! but on stretches at least 80kph!! Nobody does 50kph on straight stretches

[snapback]740389[/snapback]​
If u think that's bad, the limit in Minnesota is 10 mph in town or on any road, and 50 mph on the trail.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
379 Posts
Wow, I didn't know any companys that made radars that read in Canadian...eh! Ya know how they named Canada don't ya? C eh N eh D I eh N. No offense meant to our North of the border friends. BYW, I heard that the Canadian Navy got a new boat with a glass bottom...so they could see their first boat. Okay, Okay, enough with the jokes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
753 Posts
FreezeFrame said:
Wow, I didn't know any companys that made radars that read in Canadian...eh! Ya know how they named Canada don't ya? C eh N eh D I eh N. No offense meant to our North of the border friends. BYW, I heard that the Canadian Navy got a new boat with a glass bottom...so they could see their first boat. Okay, Okay, enough with the jokes.
[snapback]741361[/snapback]​
Bom-Bar-Dee-Eh!

 

·
ITs WINTER!
Joined
·
7,497 Posts
Cockadoodledoo said:
FreezeFrame said:
Wow, I didn't know any companys that made radars that read in Canadian...eh! Ya know how they named Canada don't ya? C eh N eh D I eh N. No offense meant to our North of the border friends. BYW, I heard that the Canadian Navy got a new boat with a glass bottom...so they could see their first boat. Okay, Okay, enough with the jokes.
[snapback]741361[/snapback]​
Bom-Bar-Dee-Eh!


[snapback]741389[/snapback]​


For the most part the cops around here are a complete joke, the harass the crap out of you but rarely give you a ticket (me anyways). I guess its good that i havent got many tickets but the harassment far outweighs paying a crummy $100 fine...

Oh well. Drive it like you stole it and when you see the flashing lights its time to go WOT!
 

·
Fanny
Joined
·
2,449 Posts
We Manitobians arent Limited........ lol Speed Limits while on a sled would SUCK. One more place to watch of for those darn cops.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
449 Posts
datrev said:
500ss man said:
Mr. X said:
The speed limit here in ontario is a whopping, wrinkle flattening, everything blurry 50 km/h. 20 km/h in town limits. i got clocked at 77 in a 50, the cop just shrugged it off and said to slow 'er down a few notches. I'd like to get them on radar when they dont expect it. i bet they're not doing 50 km/h or less. us Ontarioans should get a petition going or something to raise the limit, not to crazy speeds but more like 70 or 80 in selected areas. forest trails where its tight and twisty, 50 is just fine. but on an old rail bed type of trail up it to 70 or 80. I'm pretty sure the lakes here are like the autobahn. go your own speed
..... WOT. well thats my 2 shiney pennys for y'all.

Mr. X
[snapback]740303[/snapback]​
That a excellent idea In the tight twisty area`s 50kph definitely! but on stretches at least 80kph!! Nobody does 50kph on straight stretches

[snapback]740389[/snapback]​
If u think that's bad, the limit in Minnesota is 10 mph in town or on any road, and 50 mph on the trail.
[snapback]740597[/snapback]​
Strange, I do about 30mph in town always, 60-70mph on trails (alot slower on corners, F-2000 chassis
), never been pulled over once, seen lots of cops but they never bother me.
 

·
Stretch in '08!
Joined
·
516 Posts
*FAN~GIRL* said:
We Manitobians arent Limited........ lol Speed Limits while on a sled would SUCK. One more place to watch of for those darn cops.
[snapback]741646[/snapback]​
Wo wo wo wo, wait a minute.... Fan~Girl you are saying there is NO speed limit what so ever in manatoba?? cause that would be sweeeeeet
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top