Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you had a choice would you use 20+ year old nos rubber parts or offshore aftermarket?
I am thinking carb boots in this situation.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
If they were Yamaha I'd use the oem no problem. But for brp I would use the aftermarket. Aftermarket should be a lot cheaper and the quality shouldn't be worse.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am trying to find good aftermarket boots for my '97 MXZ670 but so far they are hard to find.
I bought a pair of Wolftech at Royal but they were not even close to the originals in size/shape and came with cheap hose clamps so I returned them.
I can't seem to find a listing for SPI or Kimpex.
I did find a pair of nos on eBay.

·
Registered
27,762 Posts
Wasn't the vulcanization of the rubber boots over the aluminum housing improved for all Ski-Doo oem reed boots?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The boots for my sled are not reed style. They are a simple round tube with hose clamps in either end.
I just spent an hour on Royals website trying to find a listing for my sled and came out of it confused and not finding a proper part.
Their paper catalogue doesn't show my sled either.
There must be someone else supplying these.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I realize this is not a direct answer but I bought an aftermarket recoil starter and it failed in a month. The housing over heated and warped.

I decided to pony up and buy an OEM recoil starter and it has worked dandy for 4 or 5 seasons.

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
Kimpex or SPI are "OK", you will need to keep an eye on them from time to time. I have a bunch of sleds that age or older, and I am sure many are still on the original boots, they are not as problematic as some other ones or the newer style with reed valves. Get your local dealer or aftermarket supplier that deals with Kimpex etc. to see if they are available, navigating Kimpex's site is not great. Otherwise I would not be afraid of the NOS ones. Unless they were stored really weird they should be fine. In a plastic bag, in a box somewhere never exposed to gas, I don't see a problem.

The Wolftech or Maxx are garbage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts