Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
So I'm in grade 12 this year so I'm really starting to plan things out for my life. The plan so far is to take over the family farm, but I'd like to have something to do in the winter for work so I can afford toys in the first few years since most of the farming income will be going back into the input so I can afford to buy it all. My thoughts involved becoming a snowmobile guide or business owner somewhere in the Canadian Rockies.

The idea would beworking in the mountains and either have no input to anthing, everything I make can go back into snowmobiling and essentials for living (so basically just essentials), this would fit under working anywhere really but also could be working for a guiding company. Not sure how avialable a job like that would be..

Or... starting a small business of guiding snowmobilers and or a snowmobile rental company, or even a camp dedicated to snowmobiling including a cabin for myself and another for guests.

This stuff would be getting done in the next 5 to 10 years and I think it would be a great way to have a cabin in the mountains like I`ve always wanted. Basically the place would end up paying for itself, and my personal sled(s).

I`m looking for any sort of opinion on the subject, where the best place to open up shop or simply work would be, and mostly, how realistic this seems to you. I would also like to note I will more than likely be getting a pilots license and inheriting/buying a plane, so flying people in could be an option to the business from places in western Canada. That would bring in a little extra money possibly. Having an isolated camp could be an option where you fly in or snowmobile in, though I would like to keep it near some trails and I'd rather have electricity constantly rather than run a generator. Also what is available for water for having a stand alone camp. Around here we just have a well that always keeps up and a reverse osmosis system in our basement since we're on a farm. Also what kind of laws are there for doing this? Can a new settlement even be opened up anymore?

Sorry for the huge essay, just thinking a lot about this. Any input is welcome thanks!

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
You got some big dreams kid, good luck is all i can say.

·
Registered
408 Posts
A dream is just a dream. A goal is a dream with a plan and a deadline......

·
Registered
807 Posts
A dream is just a dream. A goal is a dream with a plan and a deadline......
Look, obviously there a people that do it and are successful / make a living, I'm wanting it to pay for my sleds. I know this isn't completely unrealistic, and what better place to ask about it than DooTalk? I imagine if I wasn't 16 and maybe in my mid 20's I would be taken a lot more seriously.

A plan and a deadline can't be made without a decent understanding of how realistic this goal would be to create. I'm trying to see if I should make this dream a goal..

Edit: Forgot to mention! It would also be paying for a DooTalk sponsorship, and of course there would be a DooTalk special, or that would be the plan anyways

·
Registered
288 Posts
It sounds like an awesome goal/ dream to work for, but realistically I think you would be better off using the resources that you will have at your disposal from the farm to start a snowplowing business. I might also suggest that you go to a college (any college) and get some sort of degree in business. This, I believe would greatly help you get started and get you to where you want to be. Remember that everything takes time and knowledge, and most importantly MONEY.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
408 Posts
Look, obviously there a people that do it and are successful / make a living, I'm wanting it to pay for my sleds. I know this isn't completely unrealistic, and what better place to ask about it than DooTalk? I imagine if I wasn't 16 and maybe in my mid 20's I would be taken a lot more seriously.

A plan and a deadline can't be made without a decent understanding of how realistic this goal would be to create. I'm trying to see if I should make this dream a goal..

Edit: Forgot to mention! It would also be paying for a DooTalk sponsorship, and of course there would be a DooTalk special, or that would be the plan anyways
Relax, I never said it was a bad idea or anything close to that. I think its admirable to be thinking like that at a young age. All im saying is do your research finish school set yourself a list of Goals to get to the finish line.

Cheers

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It sounds like an awesome goal/ dream to work for, but realistically I think you would be better off using the resources that you will have at your disposal from the farm to start a snowplowing business. I might also suggest that you go to a college (any college) and get some sort of degree in business. This, I believe would greatly help you get started and get you to where you want to be. Remember that everything takes time and knowledge, and most importantly MONEY.

Good Luck!
Snow plowing would be a great idea although everyone around here has a snow plow so theres no room for business. Yards fill up real fast so we all got them. I'm definitely going to look into going to school for business!

Thanks

·
Registered
933 Posts
Flatlandsledhead,
Get your pilots license ASAP. Then you could become a bush pilot, fly an air taxi on the west coast, do some crop dusting, or all of the above.

Short term goals should be to take Standard First Aid,CPR and Avi 1.

Mid term goals would be your pilots license, Avi 2, Mountain Guide's license, and/or getting a Business diploma or Degree. Or you could learn a trade, like timber framing or electrician.

You already have an idea of your long term goals. You need to write your goals down and post them where you can see them every day. Your list of short, mid and long term goals will need to be evaluated from time to time, as you achieve some and discard others. Meeting your goals is acomplished through the three D's, DESIRE, DISCIPLINE and DEDICATION. You will need all three to get there.

Don't let anyone tell you there's something you can't do.

Having a diversity of skills will give you something to fall back on if things don't work out.

It takes takes 5000 hours to become an expert at anything. Your probably already an expert at bailing hay.

Never put off to tommorow what you could do today.

Oppertunity will often present itself when you least expect it. Be prepared to seize it.

Cheers,
Kevin

·
Registered
766 Posts
I think it's admirable that you have ambitions and dreams. I've read some good advice already posted but I'll give you my .02 ...

Being a business owner of 19 years, I can tell you that it's not always what it's cracked up to be. I know of one other business owner (very close friend), who after investing tons of money, blood, sweat and tears, watched it all go bye bye not long ago. Anytime anyone wants to start a business, it takes skill, ambition, education (of one sort or another), talent and probably most of all, capital, i.e. MONEY. Most new business don't start showing any real profit until after a couple years or even more.

So, what's the moral of my story? It isn't all that bad workin' for the man. Especially when you already have a business of your own (the farm). I'm sure if you looked around, you could find some businesses that needed extra help in the winter. People with ambition, work ethic and people skills are almost always in demand somewhere. So, if you're looking for some way to pay for your toys during the winter, consider getting a winter job at a winter business. If you work hard and keep your personal expenses to a minimum, I'm sure you'd easily be able to buy yourself some nice toys and even have some extra to pay for gas and insurance.

I certainly don't want to rain on your parade. If you are dead-set at having your own winter business, by all means, don't let anyone persuade you otherwise. I'm just saying that most people who own businesses, spend a lot, lot, lot more time and effort running their businesses than they ever dreamed they would before starting out.

Whatever you end up doing, I wish you luck.

·
Registered
638 Posts
The first thing to do would be to find a place that rents sleds and looking for a guide. Get some experience and pay attention to how the business runs, what the expenses are and how it is that they get their customers. I would basically pay close attention to all the details of running that business, what works and doesn't, etc.

I admire you for wanting to do this - it would be cool for sure. Arm yourself with as much info as you can and get some experience.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Head to Golden BC, Revelstoke, Valemount, and chat up the guys/gals that guide and see how you can get on board.

Keep striving for that dream, you are unique in that you have an idea of what you wish to do, many kids, and adults too, walk around with no clue of what they want to do in life!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts