Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I wanted to know....If I run a sled without a "can" what could possibly happen? Im not looking for someone whos gonna tell me that its gonna blow up becuase I had a banshee with an open exhaust for 2-3 years...NEVER a problem sooooo I just wanna know what will happen. Also I STILL HAVE THE PIPE ON THE MOTOR. Thanks....ALSO I DONT RIDE ON TRAILS.....I HAVE 15 ACRES for all yous who ride trails

Koby

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
if your so convinced that nothing is going to happen then why are you asking us??

·
Registered
151 Posts
Well I will tell you one thing and that is that it is not good for it. It may not blow up right away but your motor requires a certain amount of back pressure and without the silencer you are not going to get it. You will most likely notice a decrease in performance

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Ya definetly not good for it. Will casue engine damage or shorten the life of it in the long run. Also you will notice a decrease in power.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I doubt you'll lose power, if anything you'll gain some but your reliability will suck! Your sled will always crave rpm but will run like sh&% at idle, I'd stick with the silencer but if you're just looking to screw around then enjoy it cause it will be loud as hell!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well see.....it has a stock silencer on it but its gutted...and im not spending money for another can. Sorry i forgot to tell yous.....so im sure it will create some backpressure

Koby

·
Auto Tech
1,095 Posts
ya dude I had a 87 mx that I cut the exhaust to make it wide open. I set the whole sled up for water X and it did great. What to do is cut the u-pipe that goes from the pipe to the can in half. Then turn it so it comes out the side and cut a hole in the hood so it comes out. ANd if you want put a chrome tip on it, thats what I did. Also I had no problems with it, just after you do it check your jetting, if it looks a little lean just bump the needle up a little. Later.

·
Registered
93 Posts
You could loose power due to the lack of back pressure, but I doubt it will be much if any. The pipe in it self should be enough to create the back pressure needed(the can helps reduce noise creating more backpressure). You will most likely gain a little power and RPM.Which could be bad to stock pistons, nice forged ones will handle higher RPMs and abuse.

The name of the game is the faster you can ram as much fuel/air in and get it out the more you will produce in power. The only other thing is once you come off higher rpm you may get flames shuting out of the pipe because of unburned fuel left in the system. Make sure to keep an eye on your plugs to make sure it is running rich. Having the can off could cause it to run leaner and hotter.

Remember my old 73 TNT it never had a can, just a pipe.

·
Made Member
2,042 Posts
I had an RD 350 as a kid. When I got it it had stock strait pipes with mufflers in them and it did not run all that great. One day a friend and I uncorked it and it ran like a scalded cat. The real gains came with the expansion chambers. Can't remember what brand but they had individual cans and had a real pipey sound. Don't run any 2-stroke with out a pipe of some sort. The cold air that is pulled in through the exhaust port can cause damage.

·
Made Member
2,042 Posts
now i see in caps that you have a pipe on it. guess you've had this discussion before eh?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts