Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Let me start out by saying I have a 2006 Renegade 800x with stock gearing and a Cudney clutch kit. I have been thinking about experimenting with the gearing in my 'gade like many of you have. I do mainly trail riding and off trail riding where lower punch is nice to have. However there are times when I am on the lake all day and would like more top end. I would like to get some of your feedback.

First off...If I remember reading in past posts you folks are changing out the top gear in the case...correct?

What is the top gear tooth count as a reference?

What is to be gained/lost and what is your experience with a one tooth LOWER gear?

Finally what is to be gained/lost and what is your experience with a one tooth HIGHER gear?

Thanks for the feedback.

G

·
I can not comment what the stock gearing is onm your sled but I have geared my MX Z down. I've dropped a total of 2 teeth on the top gear and it pulls way way better and I did not drop any top end on GPS. It has stayed the same but the fun factor just went up.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
rob7374 said:
I can not comment what the stock gearing is onm your sled but I have geared my MX Z down. I've dropped a total of 2 teeth on the top gear and it pulls way way better and I did not drop any top end on GPS. It has stayed the same but the fun factor just went up.
[snapback]741093[/snapback]​
Thanks Rob,

Seems that most folks dropping the gear seem to like the results...as long as you dont mind losing a little top end. Hoping someone has experience with one tooth "more". WOndering if the motor will pull that much gear effectivly??? Thanks for the feedback.

·
Ski-Dooer
2,288 Posts
i dropped two top teeth on my 05 gade and lost 10 mph on top end, but more punch down low

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
NASTY-REV said:
i dropped two top teeth on my 05 gade and lost 10 mph on top end, but more punch down low
[snapback]741176[/snapback]​
Did you do anything special to the clutching with - 2 teeth?

·
Fuzzy but not Blue........
10,650 Posts
Just make sure you're pulling proper rpm's after change. Adjust if needed. -Grover

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
grover said:
Just make sure you're pulling proper rpm's after change. Adjust if needed. -Grover
[snapback]741645[/snapback]​
Were going to try one tooth smaller and one tooth more gear this weekend. We'll play around with the clutching to get proper RPM. Still hoping for feedback from someone who went up a gear for more top end?

·
Registered
161 Posts
STOCK GEAR IS 21 TOOTH FOR THE 06 GADE X. THE STD GADE RAN A 23 TOOTH. P/N FOR THE 23 TOOTHE IS 504091000. HOPE THIS HELPS.

·
10,650 Posts
VancoCS said:
Does anyone know what size the stock gear is?

Thanks in advance
[snapback]741799[/snapback]​
Check the back of your owners manual and depends on what track which is also listed. -Grover

·
Registered
31 Posts
DOO-RA said:
STOCK GEAR IS 21 TOOTH FOR THE 06 GADE X. THE STD GADE RAN A 23 TOOTH. P/N FOR THE 23 TOOTHE IS 504091000. HOPE THIS HELPS.

[snapback]741827[/snapback]​
Thanks DOO-RA for the info

·
10,650 Posts
Rubberduck said:
grover said:
Were going to try one tooth smaller and one tooth more gear this weekend. We'll play around with the clutching to get proper RPM. Still hoping for feedback from someone who went up a gear for more top end?
[snapback]741742[/snapback]​
Doubt you will going up. 'Doo is typically geared on high side. Clutch heat will tell you whats is going on and how much of the clutch you're using. Check out Joe's website: www.mxzx-revzone.com he has a good write-up on gearing.
-Grover

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
grover said:
Rubberduck said:
grover said:
[snapback]741742[/snapback]​
Doubt you will going up. 'Doo is typically geared on high side. Clutch heat will tell you whats is going on and how much of the clutch you're using. Check out Joe's website: www.mxzx-revzone.com he has a good write-up on gearing.
-Grover
[snapback]741844[/snapback]​
...will do. Vancocs and I are going to experiment with gearing this week on our '06 gade 800x's. Always wanted to gear down and see what this is like. We will check out Revzone too.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey grover thanks for the info, I did check out Rev Zone; a lot of information to digest. In Doo-Ra's post he stated that a standard gade has a 23 tooth gear and an X has a 21 tooth, why would doo do this?

·
Registered
161 Posts
REMEMBER THE GADE X IS RUNNING THE 1.75 TRACK, VERSUS THE REGULAR GADE AT 1.25. THUS, THE GEARING DIFFERENCE.

·
Registered
31 Posts
This maybe a dumb comment but I think that my gade X has a 1.25 track; my sled is at our cottage in Canada so I can not check until this weekend. If I have an 1.25 from the factory can I assume it has a 23 tooth gear or is there another way to tell without cracking the chain case?

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
VancoCS said:
This maybe a dumb comment but I think that my gade X has a 1.25 track; my sled is at our cottage in Canada so I can not check until this weekend. If I have an 1.25 from the factory can I assume it has a 23 tooth gear or is there another way to tell without cracking the chain case?
[snapback]742035[/snapback]​
Vancocs...I know for a fact that the 06 gade x 800 that we own have the 1.25" track. I know this because I used 1.40" studs in my track.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts