Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made a post a while back on my lutch spreading tool and and threads on the clutch stripping. I just re tapped the darn clutch with a 1/4 tap and i used a long skinny bolt i found to thread in since my tool is stripped. Now the thread on the clutch gave again. The tap i used did not make new threads on the clutch they just kind of helped the old ones out a bit. Seemed to work fine until i got the clutch back on and then when i went to put a belt on they stripped right out again.

Should i just totally re tap the thing to like5/16 and just use a bigger bolt? Kind of need to know becasue i can only re tap so many times before i run out of room.

·
Premium Member
11,990 Posts
You'd really be better off getting a 1/4"x20 helicoil kit from your auto parts store and installing it. Its a steel threaded insert so the threads will last. Many manufacturers of aluminum parts use them because aluminum threads dont last with repeated use.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You'd really be better off getting a 1/4"x20 helicoil kit from your auto parts store and installing it. Its a steel threaded insert so the threads will last. Many manufacturers of aluminum parts use them because aluminum threads dont last with repeated use.
I bought the 5546-6 kit, M6X1. That looks way to big. i don't think thats the right kit and i am not spending another 30 bucks to buy a kit that won't get used.

·
Summer Sucks!!!!!
8,989 Posts
X2 ^^^ and put some type of lubricant on those threads. I use a dab of C-5.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Tap it out bigger, did this to mine years ago & had no problems.

·
Registered
6,475 Posts
Heli-coil!!!!

·
Registered
187 Posts
i have a 4500lb line pull superwinch in my trailer that i use to pull cars that don't run into the trailer with and i drilled 4 holes into the bottom of the aluminum box its mounted in and put 4 heli-coils in to mount the winch and i pull cars in with it go the heli-coil method

1 - 7 of 7 Posts