Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Super Moderator
29,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PRESS RELEASE, SAT., FEB. 18, 6:33 p.m.

NEW YORK STATE POLICE

New York State Police in Lowville are investigating a fatal snowmobile accident that occurred at about 10:50 a.m. on the Corrigan Hill Rd. in the town of Martinsburg in Lewis County, just north of the Houseville Gulf Rd.

Investigation revealed that after cresting a knoll the operator of the first of a line of seven sleds observed a fallen tree partially blocking the trail. All sleds attempted evasive action and the victim, Brenda J. Mabie, 42, 204 W Milton Rd. Lot 10, Ballston Spa, was ejected from her sled and struck by a follow-on sled.

The victim was removed from scene by Fort Drum MAST helicopter and transported to Lewis County General Hospital where she was pronounced dead by Dr. Robert Harryman.

A post-mortem examination is scheduled for Sunday.

State police were assisted at the scene by Lewis County Sheriff L. Michael Tabolt, the LCSO snowmobile patrol, Town of Martinsburg Fire Department, Turin Ambulance and Lewis County Search and Rescue.

G

·
that sux. god bless her. its to bad no one could have predicted that type of stuff, falling trees and wildlife. our prayers go out to, rider,friends and family.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
"when will it end" ?

I think this was simply an accident could have happened to whatever sport. Very very sorry to hear of this and wishing the best for family and friends.

·
Registered
6,598 Posts
That's horrible.

I can definitely see how it would happen though. There were trees all over the trails Friday night and Saturday morning from the massive winds. Nothing scarier then cresting a hill at decent speeds and seeing your entire path blocked by a fallen tree.

·
RIP Old 600
2,646 Posts
thats too bad, it sounds like it was just an accident, not driver stupididy. her family's and friends have my condolences. please all of u ride safe!!!!

Andrew

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
This absolutely is a tragic thing. What bothers me is why didnt anyone either try to move the tree or mark it. You cant tell me that nobody had been through that area before 10-am on saturday. It is highly likely that the tree came down during the storm on friday. I certainly could be wrong and it fell just before they got there but with all the traffic on the hill lately, and this being a major trail, it seems someone might have done something about it. Again, maybe they did and it was still unavoidable. I wasnt there so I dont know. I certainly hope that fellow riders would try to remove obstacles if possible, I know our group does.

Just my 2cents

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Going too fast for their abilities, sounds like there hasn't been much grooming if there was a tree on the trail. People need to freakin' calm down. Doens't sound like she should have been leading. I know stuff can happen but I have been riding for 29 years and the only times I wiped out/rolled my sleds etc. was because I was riding like a jacka$$. Unfortunate for the family. Everyone needs to ride in control. Sorry to hear about the the incedent but people don't die like this if they are in complete control of their machine.

·
Registered
6,598 Posts
nysono said:
This absolutely is a tragic thing. What bothers me is why didnt anyone either try to move the tree or mark it. You cant tell me that nobody had been through that area before 10-am on saturday. It is highly likely that the tree came down during the storm on friday. I certainly could be wrong and it fell just before they got there but with all the traffic on the hill lately, and this being a major trail, it seems someone might have done something about it. Again, maybe they did and it was still unavoidable. I wasnt there so I dont know. I certainly hope that fellow riders would try to remove obstacles if possible, I know our group does.

Just my 2cents
[snapback]723905[/snapback]​
The wind storm had knocked out power at the Flat Rock, Montague Inn, and other surrounding areas. I passed about 40 trees that had fallen on the trail, and that's not counting the ones they had already removed. It's easy to think of ways around things or make them safer when it doesn't involve you.

·
RIP Old 600
2,646 Posts
skidoo said:
Going too fast for their abilities, sounds like there hasn't been much grooming if there was a tree on the trail. People need to freakin' calm down. Doens't sound like she should have been leading. I know stuff can happen but I have been riding for 29 years and the only times I wiped out/rolled my sleds etc. was because I was riding like a jacka$$. Unfortunate for the family. Everyone needs to ride in control. Sorry to hear about the the incedent but people don't die like this if they are in complete control of their machine.
[snapback]723923[/snapback]​
i will disagree with u on this one,

a few years ago we were up to tug hill with some very seasoned riders that knew what they were doing. we were riding on a fairly smooth twisty trail at about 40-45 mph. one of the people we were with who was leading went around the corner and just lost it. he hit a little stump in the ground and rolled his sled. its not like we were flying, we were just out having fun. he ended up like 20 ft from his sled, and the sled had a lil damage done to it, he found out later in the week that he tore his rotator cup in is sholder. what i was trying to get at is "edit for bad language" happenes, no matter what u do there are always risks.

Andrew

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
tughillterror said:
nysono said:

Just my 2cents
The wind storm had knocked out power at the Flat Rock, Montague Inn, and other surrounding areas. I passed about 40 trees that had fallen on the trail, and that's not counting the ones they had already removed. It's easy to think of ways around things or make them safer when it doesn't involve you.
[snapback]723929[/snapback]​
THT: I know all the power was out, I was up there friday night and live locally too. You said, "It's easy to think of ways around things or make them safer when it doesn't involve you."
but it does involve US, all of US as lovers of the sport of snowmobiling. No, I wasnt riding saturday and Im not finger pointing at anyone. Just thinking out loud.(with my fingers)....

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
nysono said:

Just my 2cents
got a call this morning from a friend that witnessed that accident...

Couple facts:

smaller trees were removed. the tree across the trail was very large.

groomer marks leading to the tree and turned around

no cones or warning markers

group was speeding.

lots of things the state police fails to tell..

Who is responsible for the that trail? Timberview? I would be shooting the driver of the groomer right now

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
andybob1001skidoomxz said:
skidoo said:
[snapback]723923[/snapback]​
i will disagree with u on this one,

a few years ago we were up to tug hill with some very seasoned riders that knew what they were doing. we were riding on a fairly smooth twisty trail at about 40-45 mph. one of the people we were with who was leading went around the corner and just lost it. he hit a little stump in the ground and rolled his sled. its not like we were flying, we were just out having fun. he ended up like 20 ft from his sled, and the sled had a lil damage done to it, he found out later in the week that he tore his rotator cup in is sholder. what i was trying to get at is "edit for bad language" happenes, no matter what u do there are always risks.

Andrew

[snapback]723938[/snapback]​
Agreed. Can happen to ANY of us. Seasoned or not, trees fall after storms and we all need to be a little cautious for the first few hours just for these reasons. I don't know of anyone who can bunny hop trees on a sled. My thought go out to the family and friends of this group.
Nut

·
Registered
6,598 Posts
I know, but if you were out riding you'd be VERY impressed with the amount of trees they had removed during the storm. I met two groomers on Friday and one on Saturday, they were clearing out the trees and debris as quickly as possible. Most of the trees I met were on the side trails, not the high traffic trails. The best way to go about riding this weekend is not to mark every tree on the trail, but to ride cautiously so you can stop in time for a block in your path.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
my condolences to the family . i find it hard to beleive that if they weren;t going fast it still would have happened . either way it is a shame when anyone looses a life doing somehting we all love so much .

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
QUOTED FROM ABOVE

got a call this morning from a friend that witnessed that accident...

Couple facts:

smaller trees were removed. the tree across the trail was very large.

groomer marks leading to the tree and turned around

no cones or warning markers

group was speeding.

lots of things the state police fails to tell..

This sheds a little more light on the subject. Still, very tragic and my thoughts go out to the family.

·
Registered
6,598 Posts
saltalarev said:
Who is responsible for the that trail? Timberview? I would be shooting the driver of the groomer right now
[snapback]723948[/snapback]​
Let's shoot the groomer operator?

They were speeding (like you said) immediately after a big wind storm (smart?), couldn't stop in time, and look what happened. Who's at fault here?

Sounds to me like the groomer operator saw the tree, couldn't get by, maybe didn't have the equipment necessary to remove the tree, called out to someone else to come remove the tree, but they hadn't arrived yet prior to the accident.

Next time I hit a bump on a Saturday going 80mph and fall off my sled, i'm going to blame the groomer operator. It's his fault right?

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
45 mph on a twisty trail is still fast especially when some one else could be going 45mph coming at you. Glad I rarely ride trails out here.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts