Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Paul and I have lost our minds and are planning to make the annual PNWSVC ride to the Whistlin' Jack Lodge on our Oly's! He's got a 69' Oly 320 and I have my trusty 67' that's running a Rotax 299 from a 68' Super Oly. Mechanically both sleds are gone through and well cared for so they should be fine if we hold up. It's 70 miles of mountain riding each way, but we spend the night there and come back the next day.

Since I don't typically run the Oly this far, I'm curious about how many miles it will run on a tank. I usually just fill it up and go ride for the day. My body tells me when I've had enough and I go home. I'm planning to take it out on the trails this weekend and do a fuel range test, but what are people with 299 powered sleds getting on a tank typically?

Thanks!

·
Registered
278 Posts
That sounds like an awesome trip! I can't say for your 299 but for my 399 I too always fill up and don't go far enough to worry. I'd love to know the range of my machine.

What I can suggest is bringing a 2 or 3 gallon jug and strapping it to the sled somehow. Would there be fuel at all along the way?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Way back when these sleds were new, you could figure on about 15 mpg. If it were me making the trip, I would figure on a tank of gas in and a tank of gas out.

Paul and I have lost our minds and are planning to make the annual PNWSVC ride to the Whistlin' Jack Lodge on our Oly's! He's got a 69' Oly 320 and I have my trusty 67' that's running a Rotax 299 from a 68' Super Oly. Mechanically both sleds are gone through and well cared for so they should be fine if we hold up. It's 70 miles of mountain riding each way, but we spend the night there and come back the next day.

Since I don't typically run the Oly this far, I'm curious about how many miles it will run on a tank. I usually just fill it up and go ride for the day. My body tells me when I've had enough and I go home. I'm planning to take it out on the trails this weekend and do a fuel range test, but what are people with 299 powered sleds getting on a tank typically?

Thanks!

·
Registered
658 Posts
Good that you will be able to get out and give it a try for milage before you go. Every sled is different.

How big is the gas tank on that 67? I'm thinking it is roughly 4 US gal (not imp)

When I had an Elan, with a little over 4 gallons, got about 10 miles to US gallon on hard packed trail. Always figured gas stops at no more than 30-35 miles just in case.

Never had a 299, but have to think milage is similar to Elan.

·
Registered
387 Posts
10 mpg is a good estimate. If you allow for 15 gallons per machine, you should make it there and back no issue. Do they have fuel at your destination? That would make the difference between strapping on a Jerry can or towing a sleigh full of fuel.

·
Registered
470 Posts
A one gallon metal can (like what paint thinner or other chemicals come in) fits nicely on the running board just slid into the hood area on the recoil side, and secured with some rope.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies! There is fuel at the WJ Lodge but none along the way, so we just need to cover a days ride (~70 miles) plus some extra. I have a SkiBoose, but I'd like to carry my extra fuel on-sled since we've got some decent climbs to make and the Oly is slow enough as it is. 3/4 of the route is groomed, but there is an ungroomed section that's always bumpy and whooped out.

I like the idea of a small can or two under the hood on the running board (I never put my feet up there anyway), plus a can on a rear mounted carrier. That way I could easily carry another full tank (3.75 US gal) and then some of go-go juice and hopefully have plenty.

Reactions: john170950

·
Registered
387 Posts
I'd be interested to know how much fuel you use on the trip. Skidoo had fuel burn rates listed for some of these sled but who knows how real world riding will be.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts

Thanks!
A Rotax 277UL same as a Skidoo 277F Averages 1.6-1.8 gph 3500rpm to 5500rpm.

Attachments

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Went for a test ride last weekend with the Oly's. My 67' just squeaked out 40miles on a full tank, I had lots of bubbles in the suction line and it was starting to run a little different as I rode into the trailer.Paul ran out of gas 3 miles shy of the trailers :D. Luckily we had extra fuel. Ride was a mix of groomed, deep snow on groom, off trail, etc., a good cross section of conditions. Also I scoped my fuel tank and my pickup isn't quite on the bottom, so there's another pint there. Overall I got 10-11mpg.

Stashing a gallon on each running board under the hood, plus my 2.5 gallon can on the back should do it for the big trip to Whistlin' Jack.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Some of the guys who commented totally nailed it with their 10 mpg estimates. Nice work! Man I wish I could join you guys as it sounds like a blast. If I was going along I would ride my 72 Nordic and pull my Carry Boose full of fuel (and other essentials :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ) for all of us. Well, at least we will be with you in spirt. Good luck, take and post some pics!

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I can get approximately 60 miles out of my 69 Olympic (299) riding groomed trails at a moderate speed.

Would you consider riding the route on a modern sled prior to your main trip and stashing some fuel in the bush?

Sounds like a great trip!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We will take lots of pics and post them up on the PNWVSC website and here. Probably won't get a chance to stash extra fuel prior, plus there is a certain satisfaction in doing a trip like this while carrying all needed supplies :D

I checked the sled over again last evening: greased bogies, checked chaincase oil, loctite on the engine mounting bolts, mounted the forward fuel jugs, fit the rear jug, and installed the saddlebags. She's looking like a real adventure machine now!

·
Registered
658 Posts
I checked the sled over again last evening: greased bogies, checked chaincase oil, loctite on the engine mounting bolts, mounted the forward fuel jugs, fit the rear jug, and installed the saddlebags. She's looking like a real adventure machine now!
Sounds like a neat set-up. Definitely need pics of the fuel arrangement.

But if you added a "Hood Tank" you could get all the way to the North Pole like Ralph Plaisted :)

Attachments

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'll make a full post later on with all the details, but the WJ ride was not kind to the Oly's :(. It was very warm at the lower elevations with some drizzle but we started off strong, cruising at 1/2 to 2/3 throttle. On the climb up to Gnat Flat I started seeing some bubbles in my fuel line..... then some more..... then a big slug of bubbles and bwaaaahhhhhh. A quick flip of the choke on and off and clear fuel was back at the carb and I cruised on, packing snow on the carb. Then it happened a few miles later... and again.... and again. We stopped and I checked my fuel lines for leaks but found nothing. More riding..... more bubbles... more bog. We stopped again and I replaced all the fuel lines, including the in-tank dip tube. Same problem.

Eventually I came to the conclusion that the fuel was boiling in the fuel line since the 67' Oly doesn't have a return. Once the vapors overcome the pump's ability, they push all the fuel out of the line which is refilled with cold fuel from the tank and the engine picks up and runs great on clear fuel for another few miles until the vapor lock starts again. I bailed, rode it back to the trailer, and got the Blizzard.

Still had a great time!!!! :D

Paul's 320 lunched a piston on the way back due to improper HS needle fiddling since he was also vapor locking some and trying to sort it out. Longest sled tow in the history of the PNWVSC (~60 miles)!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Aww too bad I was hoping for success and pics. I guess a little warmth, higher elevations, suction in the fuel line creating even lower atmos pressure and voila, boiling gas. I have an older engine on my '71 with no return line either. The colder it is, the better it runs, especially with the cast iron cylinder.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts