Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a fix to the oil pump cable fraying? Got a 08 xp and I am on my 4th or 5th cable. They seem to only last two years.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I used a little heavier cable wire. I build my own cables. Hopefully it will help the problem.

·
Flyin Fox Daddy X3
31,302 Posts
I replaced the cable on my '09 after it broke and the new cable was designed differently with more of a plastic sleeve for the cable to ride in down by the pump. You are wearing those newly designed cables out as well?

·
Registered
9,148 Posts
Same on my 07 800 HO Gade. Have been through three of them, it's the angle they come out of the sheathing. Use the updated 09 cable as skidoo Steve mentioned.
Each time my cable frayed it was within a strand or two form completely severed. When oil consumption goes abnormally high, there is the clue. The broken strands get caught in the sheathing and don't allow the pump to return properly. If you're running an effected sled check it before the season and during.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I replaced the cable on my '09 after it broke and the new cable was designed differently with more of a plastic sleeve for the cable to ride in down by the pump. You are wearing those newly designed cables out as well?
The new cable looks exactly like the old one.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Search Mark's Mod Shop. I posted a fix for the fraying cable. You need to straighten out the bottom sheath mount so the cable comes out straighter and doesn't rub on the sheath.

Mark

·
Flyin Fox Daddy X3
31,302 Posts
Glad you found a better fix for the cable if you are still getting the old stock ones.

The new cable looks exactly like the old one.
The top cable is a stock '09 cable. The bottom one was the same part # but updated design.

DSCN2304_zps9217ba0b.jpg

You can see the plastic sleeve inside the metal end.

DSCN2305_zps18b97763.jpg

DSCN2307_zpsc2f4950d.jpg

DSCN2308_zpse56412ff.jpg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts