Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I got my oil pump compensation value updated as part of the 2022 TSB Bulletin # 2022-13.

The tech ran BUDS update and then checked and the ECU oil compensation value was 5 still rather than 7 (7 is what my oil pump has marked on it). He then manually overrode it to 7.

My question is since my sled has 0 miles on it I know if uses more oil/fuel during the break-in procedure so should it still show 7 or would it show a different value during the breakin period when looking at it using BUDS then when off breakin should show 7?

So in other words maybe it should still have shown 5 until breakin is completed then show 7 in BUDS.

5 being more oil used than the 7 it's set at now.

Thanks!

·
Xrs_800
958 Posts
Each number determines the flow ratio for each pump. For example each pump is flow tested and assigned a number which dictates the flow chartisics needed for the pump to perform correctly and have the correct oil flow for the motor. If your sled was set incorrect it could lead to premature failures or major engine damage. With an incorrect oil pump code there has been cases of engine failure from it over the years when an ecm was swapped between machines.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Each number determines the flow ratio for each pump. For example each pump is flow tested and assigned a number which dictates the flow chartisics needed for the pump to perform correctly and have the correct oil flow for the motor. If your sled was set incorrect it could lead to premature failures or major engine damage. With an incorrect oil pump code there has been cases of engine failure from it over the years when an ecm was swapped between machines.
Thanks for your reply. I understand that part how it works. I guess my question is during "Break-in" should the oil code still show the actual value on pump (7 in my case) or would it show a lower number (more oil <7) during break-in then show the correct number once break-in is complete. Or would the actual oil code (7) show via BUDS whether in break-in or out of break-in?

Thank you

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The compensation does not change. The additional oil during break-in is done through an option in BUDS.
Excellent thanks that’s what I was hoping.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Thanks for your reply. I understand that part how it works. I guess my question is during "Break-in" should the oil code still show the actual value on pump (7 in my case) or would it show a lower number (more oil <7) during break-in then show the correct number once break-in is complete. Or would the actual oil code (7) show via BUDS whether in break-in or out of break-in?

Thank you
You might be overthinking it. The computer needs to see what the pump delivers, hence the now matching 7's.
If the pump got changed to a 5, then the computer needs to know it has a 5 on it via reprogramming.
It would be elsewhere in the software that determines how much the pump delivers based on a number of factors, including break in.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You might be overthinking it. The computer needs to see what the pump delivers, hence the now matching 7's.
If the pump got changed to a 5, then the computer needs to know it has a 5 on it via reprogramming.
It would be elsewhere in the software that determines how much the pump delivers based on a number of factors, including break in.
Thanks that also answers it. The fact the break-in oil/fuel increase is set somewhere else is what i was looking to confirm. Appreciate the help!

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Fyi my 2018 850 was absolutely guzzling the XPS synthetic when I first got it. Like 200-230 miles and the light would come on, and this was after break in.
I bumped the offset by 2 from 4 to a 6 and it's much better, by about 100 miles per tanks. Engine has been fine with less oil.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
348 Posts
Fyi my 2018 850 was absolutely guzzling the XPS synthetic when I first got it. Like 200-230 miles and the light would come on, and this was after break in.
I bumped the offset by 2 from 4 to a 6 and it's much better, by about 100 miles per tanks. Engine has been fine with less oil.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
You are a brave man! I like it!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts