Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Dads 97 foumula III has a oil leak that i have no clue where it is coming from. I removed the air box to see if oil tank is leaking and does not seem to be leaking there. When i look at the front of the enigne (exhaust side) i notice between the bottom of the engine and engine plate there is some oil present there. Where should i start looking?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the same problem and it looks to be a crack in the back of the oil tank at the seam. I used some engine cleaner in the area where there was lot of oil. Once that was all cleaned up, I just waited until I could see where the oil was leaking from. I am on this site now trying to figure out what is the best way to remove the tank - can it could out without moving steering column.

·
Have been
5,940 Posts
I have the same problem and it looks to be a crack in the back of the oil tank at the seam. I used some engine cleaner in the area where there was lot of oil. Once that was all cleaned up, I just waited until I could see where the oil was leaking from. I am on this site now trying to figure out what is the best way to remove the tank - can it could out without moving steering column.
The two most comen places that they leek is the grommets on the oil tank and the fitting that goes into the bottom of the oil pump drive chamber inthe middle of the engine from the oil tank.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Is it clean or black looking? I had a very fine crack in an exhaust flange and black oil would leak down over the front of the motor. replaced the flange, problem solved. If its clean oil under the engine I would be having a good look at the routing of the oil lines between the pump and intake

·
Registered
78 Posts
I just found a cracked oil injection line going to my PTO cylinder. I would take the leak very seriously until you know where it's coming from. If you loose oil to a cylinder because of a cracked injection line it will cost you big bucks to fix. I too have had oil tank gromets leak and the oil will run down the line and drip off the bottom of the hose often it drips far from the oil tank. Clean everything well and lay newspaper or paper towels down and look for drips.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts