Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 2012 1200 Gade. There is an oil leak and I can't seem to find where its coming from. I am assuming its the oil cooler but I want to know before I tear into it. Other than the valve cover, are there any other areas I should look at?

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Are you positive the oil was recently changed before the purchase? A messy job can leave these leaking for little bit afterwards.

Or can you see it on the motor?

·
Registered
911 Posts
Mine had a leaking crank position sensor. You can see it after you pull the muffler (on a 2017 anyway).

Left small puddles on the floor....after sitting all summer. Never left a drop in my trailer or on the snow though.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Are you positive the oil was recently changed before the purchase? A messy job can leave these leaking for little bit afterwards.

Or can you see it on the motor?
I thought it was just the mess from the oil change, but after letting it drip dry for about 3 weeks, it appeared to have stopped. I took it out for a couple of kilometers and now it is dripping again. I haven't checked to see where it is coming from. That being said, I have always been careful when changing the oil on my 11 to not make a mess so I don't know how long it will drip after the oil is changed.

·
Registered
13,874 Posts
The place I would check is the oil tank.. The o-rings are known issue. Sadly the motor has to be pulled to replace them

Reactions: maxxterminator

·
Registered
73 Posts
I had this issue couple years ago. Put some oil dye in the motor and I started at the top with a good light, inspected head gasket, oil filter, hoses, cleaned it multiple times. After inspecting multiple times, I came to the conclusion it was the O-rings on the oil tank. Pulled the motor and replaced O- rings and Oil tank. Hasn't leaked since.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts