Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a new 2020 summit on Friday. Got it home and I'm seeing oil below the clutch and some wet around the engine.

Ideas on where it's coming from? Not sure if I should try to fix it, or go through the hassle of taking it back to the dealer?

·
Registered
239 Posts
dealer told me i'd see some oil leaking initially until the donut sealing off the exhaust pipe/y pipe connection got hot enough to seal properly. he was right, there were a few drips initially of very black oil in the belly pan and on the ground and stopped after the first ride. is yours black or does it look like fresh oil?

·
Slednuck
1,982 Posts
They have some shipping oil on them but it's also common to leak some oil from the Y-pipe to pipe joint until it is heat cycles a few times.

·
Premium Member
1,434 Posts
$10 it’s shipping oil all over the place. Dealer did not clean it up. Spend a hour clean everything in that area. Including pulling the belt and clean it as well. Last thing you want to do is have oil sucked up into the clutch and ruin a perfectly good belt.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is some blowing out the exhaust doughnut, but this is coating the bottom of the clutch pan and maybe a tad inside the engine... I didn't think about a shipping oil, which it very well could be. But they put it on in an excessive amount.

·
Premium Member
1,434 Posts
Clean it up really good. Then run it a bit to see if oil returns.

Look at the rave oil lines from the pump feeding to rave valves. I have seen those bad right out of the box as well.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
The leaky exhaust donut has been there for years and it seems to take quite some rides before it seals...Until then, you will leave black marks all over the snow and also on your shop floor because it all comes out through a small hole in the bottom of the bulk head...So much for the environmental friendly etec...

However, I have noticed something new for this season - it appears the primary clutch rollers have been lubricated with some kind of oil. After all of the six rides I have done this year, oil has been thrown out from the primary clutch exactly in line with the rollers...Not sure what this is about, but I have never noticed this on pre-2020 models...?

Initially, I thought I had a leaky oil pump (one of my mates had one of his sleds the other year delivered with an incorrectly installed oil pump that almost fell out of the bottom of the oil tank...), but everything around the oil tank and the oil pump seems to be OK. Unless this is engine oil travelling straight through the crank (which I find hard to believe), it definitely comes from the rollers.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Rollers have grease in them. If it's throwing that grease out of them, that is an issue. Clutch is likely getting too hot.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
The leaky exhaust donut has been there for years and it seems to take quite some rides before it seals...Until then, you will leave black marks all over the snow and also on your shop floor because it all comes out through a small hole in the bottom of the bulk head...So much for the environmental friendly etec...

However, I have noticed something new for this season - it appears the primary clutch rollers have been lubricated with some kind of oil. After all of the six rides I have done this year, oil has been thrown out from the primary clutch exactly in line with the rollers...Not sure what this is about, but I have never noticed this on pre-2020 models...?

Initially, I thought I had a leaky oil pump (one of my mates had one of his sleds the other year delivered with an incorrectly installed oil pump that almost fell out of the bottom of the oil tank...), but everything around the oil tank and the oil pump seems to be OK. Unless this is engine oil travelling straight through the crank (which I find hard to believe), it definitely comes from the rollers.
Is it throwing the packing oil out of the clutch? The shipping oil that they douche EVERYTHING under the plastics with? On my expert, i cleaned the clutch guard when i first got it home. then noticed after riding it, it had flung more oil off the clutch onto the guard. I havnt cleaned it again yet but did notice more oil on it after the last couple rides.

·
Premium Member
1,434 Posts
Just like 2stroke800 said that shipping oil gets everywhere.

I swear they just take the whole machine and dunk it in a tank full of that stuff.

Dealers rarely get it cleaned up great.

Reactions: AK_SummitX

·
Registered
406 Posts
The shipping oil for 2020 was really bad. I had actual puddles of the stuff under the clutches and all over. Best is just grab a bunch of rags and start cleaning it up.

The other thing I do with every new Doo is to take the pipe off. I then prop it up for approx 24 hours to let all the residual oil that's inside of it to drain. When putting it all back together I add some high temp silicone to the donut, and this stops all the donut leaking. Other thing to do is put a strip of high temp silicone across each of the exhaust springs. This stops them from vibrating and breaking.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Not sure mine is about shipping oil because I already did my best to clean the shipping oil out...couple times over. Mine is definitely throwing oil out exactly in line with the primary clutch rollers. Need to check with BRP what the heck this is about.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts