Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
28,109 Posts
BRP Says:

On the assembly line the engine is fogged then the oil injection is bleed, the engine is fogged again so the oil flows down the rave guillotine lube hole and the fogging puddles in the y-pipe and passes the exhaust donut and then on the floor. Start the unit and let the exhaust system get heat soaked, the donut will set inplace and seal.
"On the assembly line the engine is fogged"

Does this mean adding oil to the lower and top end components? At this point I imagine the engine is still out of the sled and an amount of XPS or specific storage or break-in oil is being added, but I really have no idea.

"then the oil injection is bleed"

Bleeding the oil injection is done through BUDS to activate the electronically controlled pump, so that part is clear. But to activate BUDS I am assuming at this stage the engine has been fully installed in the sled.

"the engine is fogged again so the oil flows down the rave guillotine lube hole and the fogging puddles in the y-pipe and passes the exhaust donut and then on the floor."

I am guessing the oil pump bleed sequence is activated a second time to pump oil through the eRAVE.

"Start the unit and let the exhaust system get heat soaked, the donut will set inplace and seal."

I had no idea how that worked, thx! In rebuilds I use high temp sealant, but I am also re-using old parts like the exhaust donuts which have already been broken-in.

I apologize for all the questions. For me to duplicate the effort it helps to understand the process. BRP does this for a living so I try pick-up as much as I can from them.

Not sure where Mark always gets this great info, but I for one sure appreciate it.
X2

·
Super Moderator
3,632 Posts
All engines are fired up on the sled as the last stop on the assembly line where a whole list of quality checks and functions are performed, including those above.

·
Premium Member
28,109 Posts
All engines are fired up on the sled as the last stop on the assembly line where a whole list of quality checks and functions are performed, including those above.
I think that "whole list of quality checks and functions" should be included when we as used sled owners go through our rebuilds.

·
Banned
7,722 Posts
Winter needs to get here quick so you guys can ride your new sleds instead of looking at them! :laugh_old:

Reactions: fogexp2

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hey guys,
Brand new out of the box and first ride yesterday and love the machine.
Pulled it out of the trailer today and found what I would say excessive oil spray under the ypipe. Enough to drip out on the skid plate and floor. Only put 100kms on and break in is at 82%. Should i be concerned?
Thoughts?

Thanks
aea5bd0b951e36aa0620839506a9aee2.jpg
a35b8241c870614057591405ebb2898b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
I'd say normal, I pulled my pipe and can when installing my skid plate and that gunk ran all over my garage floor wiped what I could out from under the Y pipe, it will stop

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'd say normal, I pulled my pipe and can when installing my skid plate and that gunk ran all over my garage floor wiped what I could out from under the Y pipe, it will stop
It was that much was it?!
Find it a little alarming. My bro was with me and has same machine but a 129 and starting break in also.
His has some oil spray but nowhere near what mine is showing.
How long does it usually take for that gasket to seal?

·
Super Moderator
29,429 Posts
This was discussed earlier. Some new, never ridden sleds had that much running out of them.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Mine is doing the same. I brought mine in for the QRS bolt update yesterday and mechanic said they all do it to some degree when new.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Ive also noticed this on sleds that get fired up for short periods frequently. For example firing it up to hear it for a couple minutes repeatedly (or showing it off to your buddies, just waiting for snow). The exhaust system doesn't build enough heat to fully burn off some of the oil that is used to lube your raves or that might make it through the combustion cycle.

I'd clean it up before your next long ride and check it after said ride.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thanks guys for the info! Appreciate it.
I guess I will remove cover and check the donut seal on exhaust. Unfortunately our next ride is a 8 hr tow away and 4 day ride boxing day on. Fingers crossed she seals up.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks guys for the info! Appreciate it.
I guess I will remove cover and check the donut seal on exhaust. Unfortunately our next ride is a 8 hr tow away and 4 day ride boxing day on. Fingers crossed she seals up.

You better not be a problem on our ride :)

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
My local dealer was a bit pissed off because more or less every brand new 850 left stains all over their shop floor...

It appears to be the pipe seal not sealing until the sled has been ridden for a relatively long distance. I don't know if the engines have been started for a short period of time at the factory, but every brand new 850 appears to be dripping oil out of the pipe seal. This oil is being collected inside the bulkhead, then dripping all over the floor.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Mine still left spot on the floor after 3 separate 50 mile rides. Will put a couple hundred miles on Friday, hope that shuts it up.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts