Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2002 legend 380 is fouling the plugs with oil, preventing a start up, so much oil that it's being sucked into the fuel pump from the bottom of the crankcase and seeping out the breather port on the pump, yup, that much oil, anyone ever seen something like this, sled will start if I dry the plugs and introduce a little fuel into the cyl. before reinstalling plugs, but it floods out almost instantly...………...HELP !!

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
My 2002 legend 380 is fouling the plugs with oil, preventing a start up, so much oil that it's being sucked into the fuel pump from the bottom of the crankcase and seeping out the breather port on the pump, yup, that much oil, anyone ever seen something like this, sled will start if I dry the plugs and introduce a little fuel into the cyl. before reinstalling plugs, but it floods out almost instantly...………...HELP !!
What position is your oil pump arm in? Is the spring still working or holding pump open?
7414947a9109b638622e7ecc604015ce.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Just asking the question, but when the pump fails, doesn't it fail wide-open?

·
Registered
601 Posts
Just asking the question, but when the pump fails, doesn't it fail wide-open?
Mhm. Snapped oil pump wire or a fryed one not returning the lever back or return spring broken/out of position (not likely)

Reactions: thwrench

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no the pump arm is working free, thanks guys, everything looks visually ok just pumping far to much oil into intake, any more ideas would be reatly appreciated

·
Registered
345 Posts
Oil pump cable adjusted incorrectly will cause this also.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
when it was parked last, 2 years ago, it was working so I dont think it's an adjustment, but thanks for taking the time to look,

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Post some pics. I'm still leaning towards the oil pump as the issue. The oil has to pass through it to get into the case.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
601 Posts
Yeah, remove muffler and snap a pic. Lets see them marks on the pump lining up with the slack in throttle cable taken out. Just use a wedge of some sort on the throttle lever to take the slack out, not lifting the throttle piston. I usually adjust the mark on the lever approx 1mm before the mark on the body as the facory setting is on the safe side and a little bit to rich. Does the oil tubes from pump go to intake socket or to oneway pressure check valves in the crankcase ? How many miles/km on the sled ? If everything checks out ok, you can try to dismantle the pump and check inside for obvious fault, not rotating or excessive slack on the lever arm/barrel...or just try to find a pump on ebay or a salvage yard.

Have a look here:

Reactions: 18000HP

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the help guys, had to roll the trailer outside and it's extremely cold today, I'll check that pump adjustment out looks like sunday now and if it's ok I guess I'll take it off and get it apart and have a look, is it a diaphragm or gear pump ?, no timing issues on the pump I suppose ?

Thanks again for your time and knowledge guys

·
Registered
601 Posts
Gear/cam pump, no timing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts