Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been reading about doing the Oil Injection Deletion and was wondering about the Pros / Cons?

From what i read its nice to know exactly how much oil is always in the mix.

Please let me know your opinions and input.

·
Registered
416 Posts
My sled is oil-injected while my brother's is pre-mix. You're right that the pre-mix gives you peace of mind that you don't have to worry about a faulty injection pump causing major engine headaches.

I find the problem with the pre-mix is getting rid of the old gas at the end of the season to make sure you're always using fresh gas. Draining straight gas from your sled is easy since you just pour it into your car or truck. The gas drained from my brother's pre-mix tends to sit there all summer. We stabilize it of course but still the only thing we use it in is riching the mix and putting it in our chainsaw.

·
Registered
6,475 Posts
My sled is oil-injected while my brother's is pre-mix. You're right that the pre-mix gives you peace of mind that you don't have to worry about a faulty injection pump causing major engine headaches.

I find the problem with the pre-mix is getting rid of the old gas at the end of the season to make sure you're always using fresh gas. Draining straight gas from your sled is easy since you just pour it into your car or truck. The gas drained from my brother's pre-mix tends to sit there all summer. We stabilize it of course but still the only thing we use it in is riching the mix and putting it in our chainsaw.
A couple gallons of 40:1 premix added to your car or truck with 16 more gallons of straight gas won't hurt a thing IMO. I like premix so I can ditch the oil reservoir and related components.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what about when your out with others and your running premix.
Do you carry oil with you in the sled?
just worried about running out, even if i bring my own jerry can

·
Registered
6,475 Posts
what about when your out with others and your running premix.
Do you carry oil with you in the sled?
just worried about running out, even if i bring my own jerry can
Mixing oil out on the trail might be a PITA if you are going on long trips where you use a whole tank and any extra gas you carry with you.

·
Registered
416 Posts
My brother always carries a litre of 2-stroke oil under his cowl. He removed his battery & electric start and constructed a little storage box in place of the battery. He could fit a couple of litres in there.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
On my older sleds that came with oil injection, I dumped it because I dont trust the ancient pump, etc. And the real old sleds of mine are pre-mix anyway so its no big deal. On my newer sleds I leave the oil injection alone because it's a lot less hassle if it's working right.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts