Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rode in the UP last weekend and at 200 miles my oil light came on. Seemed pretty quick to me. One other 04 800 in the group and his came on at 250, all the other sleds used about a quart or so. Just wondering what everyone else is seeing. Planning a trip fpr this weekend in the UP and not sure what to do about extra oil yet.

thanks

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
My 03 with an 04 motor uses about a quart per 80 miles too.....I always add waaaay more than the other guys, but oil is pretty cheap insurance! I carry one quart under the hood and 2 in the bag....that'll get me 250 miles in a day which I conside a darn good day!

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Do a search for the oil pump post, lots of info on how to correct this problem. My 04 800 used to use a lot of oil also (24:1 ratio, doo recommends 45:1) but by just adding a helper spring to the pump arm my oil consumption has been greatly reduced. Take your clutch guard off sometime and look at the pump arm (located on the case of the motor) while pushing the throttle and you'll most likely see that the arm sticks and does not fully return. If I would push my throttle in 1/4 to 1/2 way and let off my pump arm would not move back at all (didn't notice this until I took a long screw driver and lightly pushed on the arm to see if was fully returning and quickly realized it was not).

·
ITs WINTER!
7,497 Posts
you sould be getting almost 4 tanks of gas to 1 full tank of oil.

tank of gas= 40L , if you burn 1L of oil for each tank your 40:1

But your burning 4L of oil to 40L of gas, which is 10:1

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
06MXZXRenegade800 said:
you sould be getting almost 4 tanks of gas to 1 full tank of oil.

tank of gas= 40L , if you burn 1L of oil for each tank your 40:1

But your burning 4L of oil to 40L of gas, which is 10:1

[snapback]727407[/snapback]​
All good info, thanks guys. I will take a look at the oil pump arm and check to see if it is returning all the way. 10:1 seems a bit rich huh???

·
BRP Product Tester
1,048 Posts
Mine to drinks oil like crazzy but oil is cheaper than a rebuild to me!!!!

what I did was
got the Doo oil caddy for the clutch side,,
got a S.O.S oil caddy for the chaincase side,,
take 2,, 1 litter bottles of diet pepsi and fill them up with oil and roll them up in a small sweater being carefull to not let them touch and then useing the sleeves to tie them together and stuff them in the trunk,,,That way I can carry all the oil I will need for a long trip... It works for me

1 - 6 of 6 Posts