Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got about 750 miles on my sled, '05 600 SDI, gade, and went thru 2 large jugs of oil (gallon/4 liter type) plus one small quart/liter container.

I understand this is WAY too much.

My question is:

Should I take it in to my dealer and ask service dept. to adjust oil pump cable?

………..Or……….

Do it myself?

My dilemma: ……if I take it in to my dealer, will he adjust it to the much talked about 18 - 19 - 20 mm gap dimension ….say 40 to 1 ratio, to where i'd be happy with it, or will he just look at it and say "Nope, that's the way it suppose to be, can't make it any better, live with it"…….for the risk of blowing up my motor if it's too lean.

But……if I decide to adjust the cable myself ..(which I printed out about every post and thread on oil usage and pump / cable adjustment and still not 100% clear on what is involved to do a proper adjustment
)…….then "I" run the risk of leaning it out and assume the responsibility of smoking my motor.

Advice is greatly appreciated!!!!

(nb.....com'on.....50-1....i'm calling BS on that one! LOL)

·
Shoooow meeee the POWDER!!
3,849 Posts
I've got a question to throw into this too....if we take our sleds in for this latest oil pump bulletin, do we have to pay anything for the adjustment or will it be covered under warranty since it's a bulletin?

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
Drifthopper said:
I got about 750 miles on my sled, '05 600 SDI, gade, and went thru 2 large jugs of oil (gallon/4 liter type) plus one small quart/liter container.

My question is:

Should I take it in to my dealer and ask service dept. to adjust oil pump cable?

………..Or……….

Do it myself?

My dilemma: ……if I take it in to my dealer, will he adjust it to the much talked about 18 - 19 - 20 mm gap dimension ….say 40 to 1 ratio, to where i'd be happy with it, or will he just look at it and say "Nope, that's the way it suppose to be, can't make it any better, live with it"…….for the risk of blowing up my motor if it's too lean.

But……if I decide to adjust the cable myself ..(which I printed out about every post and thread on oil usage and pump / cable adjustment and still not 100% clear on what is involved to do a proper adjustment
)…….then "I" run the risk of leaning it out and assume the responsibility of smoking my motor.

[snapback]295183[/snapback]​
If you don't have trust in your dealer to be professional then you need to find a new dealer or take matters into your own hands (make adjustment yourself). I found mine to be off by quiet a bit (set to 12mm) so I compromised and set it to 16mm. It made a big difference in oil usage. I still need to record my fuel and oil usage to determine my mixture ratio. If you are concerned figure out your current ratio, make the adjustment and determine your ratio again. Sounds like 40:1 is a good goal.

RK

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
"But……if I decide to adjust the cable myself ..(which I printed out about every post and thread on oil usage and pump / cable adjustment and still not 100% clear on what is involved to do a proper adjustment )…….then "I" run the risk of leaning it out and assume the responsibility of smoking my motor."

If you have ever adjusted the brakes on 10 speed bike you can adjust this oil pump cable!!! Check your ratio first! 1 gal.=128oz./oz. of oil J.T.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Just this minute got back from my dealer to have him adjust my 04 600 sdi. I am using 1 gal to 500 miles, figures out to be like 27-1 or something like that. The Mechanic took his caliper and checked the oil line . I was on the rich side of spec. I asked him to change it, he said he could not adjust it, if it was within the specs. He showed me how to do it, but told me, if it burns down, and it is not within spec, it wont be covered by warrenty. So there is your answer, the dealers will adjust,if it is out of spec, but wont, if it is in. He said that my oil usage was typical of any rev sled. One other interesting thing he told me was, he has never heard of a ring problem in any sled other then a 03.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rottinjonny said:
"But……if I decide to adjust the cable myself ..(which I printed out about every post and thread on oil usage and pump / cable adjustment and still not 100% clear on what is involved to do a proper adjustment )…….then "I" run the risk of leaning it out and assume the responsibility of smoking my motor."

If you have ever adjusted the brakes on 10 speed bike you can adjust this oil pump cable!!! Check your ratio first! 1 gal.=128oz./oz. of oil J.T.
[snapback]295226[/snapback]​
LOL......
.......Thanks.....

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
waxman said:
Just this minute got back from my dealer to have him adjust my 04 600 sdi. I am using 1 gal to 500 miles, figures out to be like 27-1 or something like that. The Mechanic took his caliper and checked the oil line . I was on the rich side of spec. I asked him to change it, he said he could not adjust it, if it was within the specs. He showed me how to do it, but told me, if it burns down, and it is not within spec, it wont be covered by warrenty. So there is your answer, the dealers will adjust,if it is out of spec, but wont, if it is in. He said that my oil usage was typical of any rev sled. One other interesting thing he told me was, he has never heard of a ring problem in any sled other then a 03.
[snapback]295232[/snapback]​
Time for a new dealer!

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Oh yea. Forgot to mention, if you do happen to adjust your cable

yourself and your sled burns down and your dealer asks you if YOU

adjusted the cable, what will your response be???? UHHHH???? J.T.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
waxman said:
This is the first time i bought from my/this dealer, i believe he a "good" dealer / good service dept. but waxmans post sounds exactly what i'm afraid of. i also think that my dearler is a 'By the Book" kinda guy.
if its "in spec"......."Oh....Well...."

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Drifthopper said:

My question is:

………..Or……….

Do it myself?

[snapback]295183[/snapback]​
Ok Drifthopper found your post. I had to run out to the shed to get my figures for my last trip so being you are calling BS you do the math....

212KMS used 29liters of gas and 580mls of oil( 1000mls being a liter).

Better than that I'll convert it for you.

132miles 7.6 US gallons of gas and 19.6 ounces of oil.......

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
Drifthopper said:
waxman said:
This is the first time i bought from my/this dealer, i believe he a "good" dealer / good service dept. but waxmans post sounds exactly what i'm afraid of. i also think that my dearler is a 'By the Book" kinda guy.
if its "in spec"......."Oh....Well...."

[snapback]295258[/snapback]​
I thought 18mm was spec.. Never-the-less do the math and calculate your ratio. No mistakes and you have nothing to worry about. If something happens to your engine it is not because of the oil adjustment if you are running 40:1.
Anyone who tells their dealer that they touched ANY adjustment on the snowmobile after an engine blows deserves to pay for the repair!

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Adjust it back if it burns down!!!
These things are using way too much oil. An SDI is WAY safe at 50:1.

2 things to consider about the SDI. First, you are using a premium synthetic oil, so the quality of the lube should be better. Second, and more important, there is no gas in the crankcase to dilute the oil, just air. The oil film in the case should be way better than a regular two stroke because it is not being washed away.
BRP is taking things on the safe side, for sure.

Another thing, if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself for fear of screwing up, add a bit of oil to your tank. Put in about 1/2 L per fill-up until you have time to figure out your useage ratio.

1/2 L / FULL tank would be 80:1, so if you really got it lean at 80:1(which you cannot with the available adjustment) you would still have 40:1.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Well Rotting jonny, Not sure how things are where you live, but here in SE MN, we dont have SKI-DOO dealers on every corner. "time for a new dealer" is a rush to judgement, to say the least. I guess I look at it like this, I have almost 1400 miles on this 04 sdi with original belt, and plugs that were in it, when I bought it. Oil is cheap, way cheaper then a new motor. I am assuming that the reason he will not touch the oil adjustment, is that , it is not an exact adjustment. What will 1 mm do, make it 40-1 or will it make it 60-1? who knows. Now as far as denying that I adjusted it, well, I suppose I could do that, and maybe they could not prove I did adjust it. I guess it is just not worth it to me, the sled is running awesome, so why mess with it?, to save a few bucks on oil I dont think so, Have a nice day.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
waxman said:
, it is not an exact adjustment. What will 1 mm do, make it 40-1 or will it make it 60-1? who knows.
[snapback]295286[/snapback]​
This is true... The oil pump adjustment is dependent on throttle cable adjustment so no two sleds may be the same. One sled may have more slack in the throttle cable and run 40:1 with an 18mm measurement where another sled may have less slack in the throttle cable and run 50:1 at an 18mm measurement. The only safe way is to figure the gas/oil ratio.....

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
waxman said:
Well Rotting jonny, Not sure how things are where you live, but here in SE MN, we dont have SKI-DOO dealers on every corner. "time for a new dealer" is a rush to judgement, to say the least. I guess I look at it like this, I have almost 1400 miles on this 04 sdi with original belt, and plugs that were in it, when I bought it. Oil is cheap, way cheaper then a new motor. I am assuming that the reason he will not touch the oil adjustment, is that , it is not an exact adjustment. What will 1 mm do, make it 40-1 or will it make it 60-1? who knows. Now as far as denying that I adjusted it, well, I suppose I could do that, and maybe they could not prove I did adjust it. I guess it is just not worth it to me, the sled is running awesome, so why mess with it?, to save a few bucks on oil I dont think so, Have a nice day.
"time for new dealer" was my comment.. I am from central MN so I suppose I have better options for dealers but I do drive an extra 45 min to my dealer of choice since the local dealer is WORTHLESS!

Again... DO THE MATH. Maybe you don't understand this... Fill your tank FULL, fill your OIL FULL, run it for a few hours or all day and fill the gas tank FULL and oil tank FULL. Now determine your ratio... 4qts = gal.. say you used 10 gals of gas and 2 qts oil.. .5 (gals oil) / 10 (gals gas) = .05 (20:1).

If you are not concerned don't bother but I believe you started the topic so you must be. Do the math on one of your next rides and determine if you need to make the adjustment. As for turning it back if your engine blows that is just common sense but don't misunderstand the reason for turning it back... Your engine WILL NOT blow due to oil ratio at 40:1!!!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Don't use miles/oil when calculating oil ratio, use only fuel/oil.
Adjust a little and test, adjust and…. I have aprox 40:1 and my motor is OK

·
Registered
122 Posts
04renegade600ho said:
waxman said:
"time for new dealer" was my comment.. I am from central MN so I suppose I have better options for dealers but I do drive an extra 45 min to my dealer of choice since the local dealer is WORTHLESS!

Again... DO THE MATH. Maybe you don't understand this... Fill your tank FULL, fill your OIL FULL, run it for a few hours or all day and fill the gas tank FULL and oil tank FULL. Now determine your ratio... 4qts = gal.. say you used 10 gals of gas and 2 qts oil.. .5 (gals oil) / 10 (gals gas) = .05 (20:1).

If you are not concerned don't bother but I believe you started the topic so you must be. Do the math on one of your next rides and determine if you need to make the adjustment. As for turning it back if your engine blows that is just common sense but don't misunderstand the reason for turning it back... Your engine WILL NOT blow due to oil ratio at 40:1!!!
[snapback]295306[/snapback]​
I understand your plight. My ratio is about 17:1 real bad. I have it back to the dealer for the third time now. My 04 & 05 gsx 600 sdi both burn that amount. After this round of dealer adjustment I will monitor it very closely this weekend. If it is still bad I guess I will have to bite the bullet and try to adjust it myself. I will be going to Canada Feb 28 for a week if they finally get some snow. Never been before. My concern on a long trip is where do I get the oil? I can't carry enough for the week. I am assuming I can get some kind of synthetic some place.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Ok, I got (rottinjonny)mixed up with (04 rengade), sorry. I did not start this post, I just posted what my dealer just told me, since it applied to this post. The reason i wanted him to turn my oil adjustment down, was because my wife got pukeing sick following me a few weeks ago. I thought maybe too much oil burning was the problem. He seemed to think it was more due to the Formua xps 2 full synthetic stink, rather then the amount being burnt. This is why I didnt get too excited about the oil adjustment., and switched oil. Ok, I hope all is understood, and well now.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
99MXZ600 said:
I've got a question to throw into this too....if we take our sleds in for this latest oil pump bulletin, do we have to pay anything for the adjustment or will it be covered under warranty since it's a bulletin?

[snapback]295193[/snapback]​
OK.....thanks for the replies....if i take it in, anyone have an ides if this will be under warranty?
(My gut feeling is no....???)

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
Drifthopper said:
99MXZ600 said:

[snapback]295193[/snapback]​
OK.....thanks for the replies....if i take it in, anyone have an ides if this will be under warranty?
(My gut feeling is no....???)

[snapback]295387[/snapback]​
It's just not worth the time to take it in.. This is such a simple adjustment. Make small adjustments and calculate your ratio (oil/gas) and make more if needed. If your engine blows and you have at least a 40:1 ratio the oil is not the problem!! But jsut to say yourself the arguement with SD/Dealer adjust it back before bringing it in. BTW: As much as the factory adjustments seem to vary they wouldn't know you made any adjustment even if you didn't turn it back. Always keep it a "little" rich on the oil side..

1 - 20 of 44 Posts