Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

Oil breather spraying oil

7K views 95 replies 13 participants last post by  BCX 
#1 ·
On my buds fpp stage one kit he says the breather on the valve cover over by the exhaust has sprayed oil all over the place, he said he lost a quart in the first 500 miles because he just added a quart so thats how he knew that. Ideas as to what might be going on?

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
Motors blown Brent.

How much boost was he pushing? And what fuel?

Also what type of A/F ratio?
Only 3-4 lbs of boost, she was a pooch the couple times i pushed it a little, i told him nothing but the best fuel, meaning best pump gas, sure hope he listened! We had it fairly ritch imo, cruising was the lean spot in the 13's, wot was around 11. We have been waiting to turn the boost up. He says it runs just fine and is heading out tomorrow for a ride

G
#15 ·
I am talking about one of the gears for the oil pump inside and below the valve. I had to change one a few years ago and my buddy said the same thing as knapp. The motor was fine it just stripped the nylon gear. It was a 09 so not sure if the gear was updated to aluminum or steel.

#17 · (Edited by Moderator)
They don't push that much oil if the engine is sound.

Put a leakdown on it, you'll find that engine is toast.
Should be exhaust smoke (blue) if it is putting out that much oil. Check for bad turbo seal, or kinked return line.

Got the symptoms of detonation for sure.

#20 ·
I talked with Brian apparently the clamp that hold the return line on has worn thru the hose causing it to leak oil
That would be fantastic news.

#21 · (Edited by Moderator)
I talked with Brian apparently the clamp that hold the return line on has worn thru the hose causing it to leak oil
How would a hole worn thru the return off the bottom of the turbo cause it to push oil out the breather though?

Crankcase pressure would need to build up high enough for pressure and oil out breather right? If oil was not returning from turbo it would blow thru intake and then burn thru engine if oil was flooding the turbo cartridge.

#23 · (Edited by Moderator)
How would a hole worn thru the return off the bottom of the turbo cause it to push oil out the breather though?

Crankcase pressure would need to build up high enough for pressure and oil out breather right? If oil was not returning from turbo it would blow thru intake and then burn thru engine if oil was flooding the turbo cartridge.
no you are correct. but i read this originally and saw the engine was down over a litre of oil and oil out the breather. so you assume all that oil came out the breather. which part of it could have but most was lost out the bottom of the return from the pictures i saw.

from what i have heard is there is always a little oil coming out the breather misting the coolant bottle on multiple sleds. but i can not confrm this to be a true statement or not

G
#24 ·
I hope for the owners sake hes not going to need a rebuild in only 500 miles, but I've never seen that much oil from the breather and not be toast.

Have my fingers crossed for him as that's a few bucks and a bit of downtime.
I had oil blowing out that filter to the point that it caught on fire 4 years ago. And the motor was fine after we replaced a nylon gear that had shredded in the right side bottom screen.

Motor ran boosted for 8000 miles after that.

So I have saw that much oil come out of a 1200 and not be toast.

#25 ·
no you are correct. but i read this originally and saw the engine was down over a litre of oil and oil out the breather. so you assume all that oil came out the breather. which part of it could have but most was lost out the bottom of the return from the pictures i saw.

from what i have heard is there is always a little oil coming out the breather misting the coolant bottle on multiple sleds. but i can not confrm this to be a true statement or not
OK, but I see that breather pic and that is more than just a mist of oil, It's drenched in oil. My tank is as clean as a showroom sled after being run for 750 miles with the turbo on it. Like there is no blowby or any oil mist at all on mine.

#26 ·
I just came from his shop. Im sure he lost most of the oil from the return line, it was split pretty good, the breather and coolant bottle look worse in the picture, theres deffinately oil being pushed out but not a quart by any means. He going to spray everything down so its clean and go for a ride tomorrow and watch it very close to see if anything comes out of the breather again

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.