Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a whole list of the stuff I want and need to get done. Gonna just post questions here when I get to certain things.

First of all I got my primary off and partly taken apart.

Very dirty, any recommendations on cleaning? I was thinking let it soak in hot soapy water to help get in the spots my fingers don't touch? And should I take it more apart before doing that?

Also, rollers seem to be fine not much play at all but can tell them and weights have some signs of wear... Weights have a sharp edge on them, so replace everything just for safe measure? Or if looks okay just leave it?

Also I was stupid and did not make a mark for how the primary was lined up for timing or balancing with the arrow on the outside .. Any help there? Will the inner half have a line or arrow also? Or do I have to guess and do process of elimination. I am new to clutches and want to learn about them. Thanks in advance for any help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
27,910 Posts
Yes, go ahead and clean. If you like, remove the rollers to exam wear on the bushings. Clean sliding half and spring cover bushings with a petrol-based cleaner and inspect for wear, or better yet measure for wear. As per shop manual do not use acetone to clean bushings.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay thank you, I mean I don't know if the clutch has ever been serviced so that's why I am leaning towards just replacing parts.. Don't have the tool to get to the spring but how crucial is it to get inside there? And should I use some emery cloth or something on the ramps cause they have a sharp edge on the sides of them?

·
Super Moderator
9,641 Posts
Okay thank you, I mean I don't know if the clutch has ever been serviced so that's why I am leaning towards just replacing parts.. Don't have the tool to get to the spring but how crucial is it to get inside there? And should I use some emery cloth or something on the ramps cause they have a sharp edge on the sides of them?

If you can scare up a piece of 3/4" all-thread, 2 nuts, a bench vise, and a pair of large washers, you've got yourself a spring/cup removal tool.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay that sounds easy enough. Cheap too for the materials. Any recommendations on where to get clutch parts from?

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
I bought the clips from CT. But I made my own clutch spring compressor. I made it for $2 with crap around the house. Worked perfect.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay cool. I might just even clean everything up and go from there. I need the o rings on those button pieces for sure. Other than seeing some wear it seems so far everything doesn't look too terrible.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Swimming pool muratic acid diluted with water to clean aluminum parts. This works very good very fast, test for strength on a scrap piece of aluminium if it smokes it is too strong and can turn the aluminum metal darker.
Use in a ventilated area, and only allow a few minutes of set in time.
Afterwards rinse good with hot water to remove the mixture.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I took mine fully apart and then cleaned it in a small media blaster, of course only the inside and not the sheave surface.

That worked perfect and it looks like new afterwards.

For the alignment you will find your information in the manual.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys. Can anyone explain a clutch kit? Is it worth it? Does it just have the clutch engage at different Rpms?

·
Super Moderator
9,641 Posts
Swimming pool muratic acid diluted with water to clean aluminum parts. This works very good very fast, test for strength on a scrap piece of aluminium if it smokes it is too strong and can turn the aluminum metal darker.
Use in a ventilated area, and only allow a few minutes of set in time.
Afterwards rinse good with hot water to remove the mixture.
Eagle1 mag wheel cleaner works well, without all the fuss, and it comes in a nice handy spray bottle.

·
Super Moderator
9,641 Posts
C-T is a good place to get a clutch parts rebuild kit. A "clutch kit" will not include the parts like this that are likely worn out and may need replacing; it is a performance oriented change, and doesn't always raise your engagement RPM. A good clutch kit tailors the power APPLICATION of your sled's engine to your riding preferences.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts