Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
How's it going everyone! With the coronavirus pandemic, our 2020 season was unfortunately cut short but with the 2021 ISOC national tour schedule due out next week, I figured it was time to hop onto DooTalk and fill you guys in on our upcoming plans.

It's no secret that 2020 was hands down our best season to date. We kicked off the season with a win in Duluth and followed it up with numerous heat wins and top 5 finishes, along with both regional pro lite/pro titles. The bar is set pretty high for this year but we should be up to the task.

This year, we're bringing back 99% of our sponsors, including Lakeland Powersports and Incredible Bank, so we're extremely thrilled about that. We also have some new sponsors on board and I'll be sharing more on that soon. Of course, my right hand man Jared Burba will be back to tune the sleds to perfection. After a few years of struggling to get by racing both nationals and regionals on the same sled, I've decided to go all in for 2021 and pulled the trigger to get two sleds. The hope is that we can get more testing done this way while keeping the hours down on each sled. It should go without saying that I'm extremely excited for the new sleds to make their way to us in Illinois.

We're still waiting for the sleds to be released but we hear it should be coming any day now, so stay tuned on that.

Now is the time where I could use your guys' help and feedback. First off, thank you for dropping by and hopefully subscribing to follow along on our journey this winter. It's been super rewarding being able to share these memories with you all and we hope to make a few more this go around.

I know times are tough here in 2020, and we'll be going racing regardless, but having said that, if you or someone you know would be interested in supporting our effort this season, please feel free to PM me, email me at [email protected], or call/text me at 815-276-3624. I'd be happy to pass along my cover letter and resume to anyone that is interested.

For those that have asked, you can still contribute to our team through the Paypal address Pit Grunt and I set up in the past. The email is [email protected]

f597065a06d8c09e2b93bc8e7edb2bba.jpg

If you or someone you know does decide to contribute that way, please include the DooTalk username or another means of contacting you. This way I can follow up with you afterwards not only to thank you, but also to include you in any special projects we end up doing this winter.

In addition to that, I'd like to get some feedback. Is there anything we can do to step this program up for the new year? New shirts? Hats? Whatever it may be, comment below or PM me.

I'll be sure to check back in soon!

Brian Petersen #112

e7a704c53f938fa6d1cd9d9db867ff8a.jpg

88c9ad01b00160dd9cef2f2c79771a18.jpg

·
Registered
1,225 Posts

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
This thread is off to a slow start (100% my fault), but we have some HUGE news to share in the coming weeks as we get some proofs done for everything from new clothing to gear, helmets, sled wraps, and trailer wraps. It's tough to keep this news to myself for the time being, but we want to get the word out the right way for this one. Until then, I want to remind everyone that we still have some openings in our program for 2021. With the season right around the corner, now's the time when we start getting sponsors on board to be included on our shirts, sled wraps, and trailer wrap. I know 2020 has been tough on many people and their businesses but if you, or a business you know, are in a good position and would be interested in supporting us this winter, please shoot me a message. Every little bit helps, even just sharing this post.

c682a18e2f3d9cb8ebfda9d02d07a529.jpg

f32051a506c18c520f3e85a640a7cc52.jpg

3a78f33884cfcbb1b8ab7a20af8847c3.jpg

Other than that, how about the 2021 ISOC snocross schedule? It looks like it is going to be a busy winter on the road for my brother, Jared, and I!

d610166fdcbc4aa65e1c892d74e0209a.jpg

What are your guys' thoughts?

·
Registered
16,788 Posts
It will suck for the “regular joe” teams who have day jobs like yourselves, but I think it will really put emphasis on what teams/riders can pull it together handle a week to week pressure. So some of the smaller teams may get some notice for either a driver or mechanic. It will be exciting to watch! Heck with Dubuque in Jan, may be able to ride the sleds to the venue if the hotel is in the right spot.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
are you running a 2021 sled or keeping the 2020 for another season. I don't see much change other then shocks and engine calibration. shocks are bolt in and calibration is plug in. But I doubt BRP would let it be that easy LOL

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It will suck for the "regular joe" teams who have day jobs like yourselves, but I think it will really put emphasis on what teams/riders can pull it together handle a week to week pressure. So some of the smaller teams may get some notice for either a driver or mechanic. It will be exciting to watch! Heck with Dubuque in Jan, may be able to ride the sleds to the venue if the hotel is in the right spot.
Yeah, there's no doubt about the schedule being tougher on the riders and teams. For the privateers with limited resources, if you break something, you only have a few days to get the replacement parts ordered, delivered, and installed and then you're right back on the road again. That's one part that weighs pretty heavy on my mind. Of all the seasons to have two race sleds, I'm glad this is the year I jumped at the opportunity.

I'll also add that I think the new schedule will suit us pretty well. We're so accustomed to racing every weekend thanks to our involvement in the national and regional series that it won't be that much of a shake up. The other benefit this schedule offers us is if you have a bad weekend, you can immediately turn things around the following weekend rather than pondering what could have been for weeks on end. On the flip side, if you have a good weekend, you can carry that momentum right into the next race.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
are you running a 2021 sled or keeping the 2020 for another season. I don't see much change other then shocks and engine calibration. shocks are bolt in and calibration is plug in. But I doubt BRP would let it be that easy LOL
I sold my 2020 shortly after the season concluded in Michigan earlier this year. Usually we'll sell our sled at the end of the season to make room for the latest (and hopefully greatest) in the fall and this year was no exception. I'm not going to lie though, I was a bit worried after COVID took over - my biggest fear was that Ski Doo may end up putting a hold on production and I'd be forced to find a 2020. Fortunately, they committed to all of us racers early on so I was able to push that fear aside.

For 2021, I'll have two new race sleds. They'll be set up slightly different for the preseason so we can test some different parts but after we figure out what works, they'll be identical for the remainder of the season. It should make for an easy jump if we're forced to switch sleds between regionals and nationals or between the first and second race days on any given weekend.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Definitely fortunate the BRP continued with production. My question is, is there really any significant difference between the 20 and 21 sled. The only stand outs I see is the shocks that were only available to top teams are now standard and updated engine calibration. Am I missing something? Could someone with a 20 sled still be potential for being on par with a 21 sled? I know rider ability has a huge roll in it. I guess once you get some seat time you will know for yourself the answers.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Definitely fortunate the BRP continued with production. My question is, is there really any significant difference between the 20 and 21 sled. The only stand outs I see is the shocks that were only available to top teams are now standard and updated engine calibration. Am I missing something? Could someone with a 20 sled still be potential for being on par with a 21 sled? I know rider ability has a huge roll in it. I guess once you get some seat time you will know for yourself the answers.
Nope, for the most part, those are the only changes that have been made based on feedback from teams and riders in 2020. Many of the improvements for the 2020 sleds were focused around durability and the same goes for the 2021 shock shaft changes. In going to all the races, I did see a few cases where the shafts would bend so my guess is they're trying to eliminate that. Obviously it's not always preventable but this should help.

As for being competitive on the 2020 model, I have no doubts. Like you said, the big names were already changing shocks to ones with the bigger shafts. Combine that with the clutching changes every team/rider is bound to make, I think you'd see the same results whether guys are on the 2020 or 2021 model.

I hope that answers your questions.

·
Mainway Solutions Inc.
2020 Renegade XRS
2,884 Posts
Good Luck This Year Brian.....We'll Be Rooting For You!!

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'll post another update (hopefully tonight) to talk about a few of the sponsors that have stepped up again for the 2021 season.

For those that have asked, you can still contribute to our team through the Paypal address Pit Grunt and I set up in the past. The email is [email protected]

f597065a06d8c09e2b93bc8e7edb2bba.jpg

If you or someone you know does decide to contribute that way, please include the DooTalk username or another means of contacting you. This way I can follow up with you afterwards not only to thank you, but also to include you in any special projects we end up doing this winter.

Thanks for reading everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Honestly, where does the time go?! The last couple of weeks have been a blur and it's hard to believe the new race sleds will be in any day now. The last couple of weeks have been action packed, as I've been splitting time up between my day job, training in the gym, riding my last motocross practices of the season, and of course, working on sponsorship for the upcoming season.

With that, I'd like to share some exciting news with you all, as we have had two sponsors agree to support us heading into 2021. The first of which is a returning sponsor, and one you might be familiar with: Mainway Solutions. Val's contributed the past couple of seasons and it really goes a long ways. If you're in the market for replacement bushings or hardware kits that are serviceable, please check out Val's products over at mainwaysolutions.ca

The second sponsor, and a new one for us, is a smaller service/detail shop based out of Wisconsin called AP Performance. Now, obviously being on DooTalk, the majority of us are going to have Ski Doo sleds, right? But I'm sure there's also quite a few that have Cat or Polaris. The good news is that AP Performance can provide parts and service for any make. In addition to that, they also offer detailing services for all make/model vehicles so when winter comes to a close, they can get your vehicles cleaned up and looking good as new. We're excited to have them on board this season and hope that you will give them a try! For more info, check them out on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/APPerformanceLLC/ or on Instagram at @APPerformanceWI.

We do have another big sponsor in the works, but we'll do that reveal in the coming days/weeks once we get the clothing designs lined up and available for purchase through 4M Graphix/Sleddiction.

Stay tuned for more!

·
Mainway Solutions Inc.
2020 Renegade XRS
2,884 Posts
Bump!!

Get er [email protected]

Lets show him how Solid we Are!!! DooTalk 2020 / 2021

Takes like 2 minutes :)

Reactions: petersen112

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The new clothing will be coming soon guys, Matt Marquis of 4M Graphix/Sleddiction.com really knocked it out of the park. I'd post a photo, but I don't want to spoil it just yet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Shirts, hats, trailer wraps, sled wraps, jersey prints, and helmet wraps...all of it is a HUGE work in progress at this point. While we finish up on those, I wanted to share some long awaited news. We have a new (and quite surprising) sponsor that we're partnering with this winter and while the press release will be shared on the main snocross sites soon, I figured this would be the best place to drop the news!

Petersen Racing 2021 Press Release 11024_1.jpg

What are your guys thoughts?

Expect more posts soon as I head up North tomorrow to pick up our two new race sleds from Lakeland Powersports.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
If you follow me on social media, you'll have seen that Friday was a very big day for us. The press release regarding our new sponsor, West Coast Customs, dropped and at the same time, we opened up the website for everyone to order their Petersen Racing merchandise.

4f048972a7ed192d7934d779d9a23145.jpg

27b2494827a4061f9896a0c4107b99bd.jpg

With the season getting closer, I relied heavily on Matt Marquis at 4M Graphix/Sleddiction to handle the clothing and I couldn't have asked for anything more. He's got the website up now, so head on over to https://petersen112gear.itemorder.com/sale to get your t-shirts, hoodies, and hats ordered. Times are tough so if you do decide to make a purchase, I truly appreciate you not just supporting me, but also Matt's business. Shops like his had a rough fall with many school sports being cancelled and spirit wear not being as important, so every purchase helps!

More updates and photos coming this week but until then, check out the previously mentioned site and the press release over on RideX365's website: https://www.ridex365.com/?p=9419

Thank you all!!!

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I'm not going to lie guys, it's been tough to keep up with everything going on between my day job and my passion for snocross. The last couple of weeks have been absolutely non-stop and it just hasn't left me with enough time to make an adequate post...until now, of course.

So if you follow RideX365 or me on Facebook/Instagram, you've most likely seen the companies and people we are lucky enough to be partnering with this season. I think the one that caught everyone's attention was West Coast Customs, which is well known for its appearances in numerous TV shows. With those guys coming on board, and the continued support of everyone at Lakeland Powersports, Incredible Bank, Goodwin Performance, Big Kid Powersports, and DooTalk's own KRM, I knew this was the year to get some extra coverage on our race trailer. However, at that point, I was still anxiously waiting for the new race sleds to arrive which meant I had to keep the trailer at home and ready to go.

When the first week of November rolled around, I finally got the call I was waiting for - Brian Wagner from Lakeland Powersports in Woodruff, WI had taken delivery of our 2021 race sleds and it was time to get to work. With rumors the practice tracks in MN were going to start opening up, I knew I was crunched for time and decided it'd be best to use up some vacation time. So, I made the 5 hour trek to Wisconsin on a Wednesday morning to grab the new sleds. By the time I had shown up, Brian and his guys had the new sleds uncrated and were getting them assembled so we could get them loaded up and I could be on my way back home.

ba8257439c54ad5ecf8cc2ae0d75a616.jpg

Now, at the time, I was keeping a close eye on the weather as well. Matt from 4M Graphix/Sleddiction had already been in the process of designing our trailer decals for the season but without a heated shop big enough to pull the trailer into for the install, I was worried I was going to be out of luck. Boy was I wrong. When I went to grab the sleds, the temps were in the 60s and we knew that was our chance to get the job done. After some measurements in Lakeland's parking lot, I headed straight down to Matt's shop in Mendota, IL, where he had dropped almost everything to help get me squared away. With just a day and a half to work with, Matt was able to do an incredible job not only printing all the necessary logos, but also installing them in all the right locations. Honestly, I couldn't be happier with how it turned out and would recommend Matt for anyone looking to add logos to their own trailer or vehicles. He went above and beyond and for that I am truly thankful.

With the trailer done, it was onto the next project - tear down of the race sleds. Anyone that's followed along the last couple of years knows the lengths we go to in order to ensure the sleds are top notch for a long season of racing. Ski-Doo does an excellent job of informing its racers of changes they've found to help with durability and performance and the majority of these can be found in the TIP sheets. In addition to making sure all of the recommendations from the TIP sheets are taken care of, we also do a lot on our own to tailor the sleds to my riding style and preferences. For the most part, these are simple DIY projects or bolt-ons that anyone can do but they sure do pay off big when you get the sleds on snow and that's where I decided to start this year.

For everyone wondering what I prefer to do to the sleds, I've listed the steps I take and the importance behind each one of them:

Step 1 - Add Rox Speed FX skinny grip strip kits to the running boards
This is something I first experimented with in 2017 and it's become a necessity ever since. When snow and ice build up, it obviously makes gripping the sled a lot more difficult. Though the new gen 4 running boards provide more traction than the xp/xm days, there's still room for improvement. By adding these grip strip kits, you give yourself the best chance of staying put on the sled.

8f77ec62aab780cb1c8d1a4813dc97d9.jpg

Step 2 - Swap the stock risers for Fly Racing's 5" fixed risers
Being 6 feet tall, this is a must have. The stock risers have gotten smaller and smaller over the years and as a result, I end up struggling to corner without slamming my knees into the corners of the bars. As odd as that sounds, the 5" risers fix that issue entirely and also help get some extra clearance over the hood when running Rox's pro tec handguards with foam extensions. As long as you keep the risers in line with the steering post, you should have no issues with cornering/steering either.

Step 3 - Replace the stock kill switch with a Fly kill switch
Listen, I'd like to think I'm going to be at the front of the pack at all times, but I know that's not always going to be the case. If you're buried in the pack and get roosted with some heavy, wet snow there's a good chance it could end up knocking the kill switch off and killing power to the sled. My fix for that has always been installing the Fly momentary kill switch. Trust me, I'm terrible when it comes to dealing with electronics and wiring, so if I can do this install, then so can anyone else. The Fly switch comes with the necessary connectors so it's as easy as snipping the stock switch and splicing the new switch in.

Step 4 - Swap the stock pilot skis for USI's Epic 1.5 skis and Stud Boy 9" carbides
Ski-Doo improved the pilot skis a few years ago and have since equipped the race sleds with them. While these skis perform excellent on the trails and in some areas of the snocross tracks, I have always preferred to go with a ski that I have experience with. In the past, this has meant tossing on a pair of C&A XT skis, which you'll definitely see on the majority of the race sleds. However, with the Pattyn family (the family behind Stud Boy, and another long-time sponsor of mine) taking over USI Skis recently, I decided to switch things up and give their new Epic 1.5 skis a chance. These skis are slightly shorter than the XT skis in overall length, wider towards the front near the loop, and narrower near the rear portion which equates to several advantages. I believe they'll provide more float in soft, powdery conditions thanks to the wider front portion while the narrower backs will aid in cornering. The other cool part about these skis are the loops. If you've ever replaced loops on the C&As before, you'll know it's no simple task - but rest assured, the process is much easier with the USIs as you don't have to apply nearly as much pressure to get the bolt holes lined up properly.

ee0cbd4ff78eb17954e64a52cd3ec81e.jpg

Step 5 - Install the Rox dorsal plates to each side of the skis
In order to prevent spindles from locking up coming off the start line and to aid in cornering, I always install these dorsal plates on the sides of my skis and this year was no exception. The only difference is that I was mounting them on an entirely new ski and therefore, had to figure out if all the bolts and spacers would work properly. Remember how I said I couldn't be happier with the USI skis? Well, here's another reason why - no need to use the spacers that are included with the dorsal plates. This equates to a much easier install and a very clean look, as the plates line up perfectly with the edge of the skis. The only thing I recommend is the use of M8 x 30mm bolts, which give you plenty of threads to install the nut on to.

da8203dda196ef8b204bf234bbbef000.jpg

Step 6 - Install the black nose cones
In my opinion, these gen 4 race sleds look the cleanest when teams run the black nose cones, so before we even get the machines on snow, I go ahead and swap them out. With all of the 3/16 rivets holding them on, it can definitely be a pain in the butt to replace these. However, after doing them several years now, I think I've got some tips to share with those looking to do the job themselves. The easiest way to get the nose cones off is taking a cold chisel or a grinder and breaking the heads off from the engine bay. Now, when it comes time to installing the new ones, I strongly recommend popping the front shocks off as well as the 19mm nut that holds the upper a-arm to the spindle. With those off, you have plenty of room to maneuver an air-powered rivet gun and get the new pop rivets put in.

Step 7 - Taking care of the handlebar setup
It's no secret that I'm picky when it comes to the controls on my race sleds, so everything from the brake lever, to the throttle, to the grips gets adjusted or replaced. This year, I started off by removing the stock grips in favor of ODI Ruffian grips. The ODI grips can be cut to length and will cover a greater portion of the handlebars, an obvious bonus. If you're looking for an easy install, pour some rubbing alcohol into the grip and that'll help you slide it onto the bar. When the rubbing alcohol dries up, your grips will be firmly mounted. If you're having trouble just sliding them on, a little bit of compressed air will do the trick - just be sure you go easy otherwise you could end up blowing the grips up like a balloon (go ahead and ask me how I know about that one LOL).

I will also adjust the levers to my liking, position-wise and modify both the brake and throttle slightly. The throttle lever gets lines cut into it with a razor blade in order to give more grip in the event there's moisture on it. As for the brake lever, I'm trying something new this year and will report back after I give it a whirl, but my go to has always been to wrap the lever a few times with hockey tape. This not only provides more grip for your braking fingers, but also helps to insulate the lever so you don't risk freezing those same fingers during a long final. Nihilo Concepts, a well-known motocross brand, makes a lever grip that serves the same purpose. It's basically heat shrink with traction built into it so once it is cut to size, you slide it onto the lever and apply some heat to it with your favorite heat gun and then you are all set.

3b9a4da23fd38885fd3fb670c3a5ef9a.jpg

Step 8 - Studding the tracks
By this point, the sleds have usually left our shop garage and have made their way to Goodwin Performance. We immediately pull all of the suspension in order to recharge the shocks with nitrogen, getting them up to the required PSI. It truly is amazing how much pressure the shocks lose after sitting inside the crates. With the shocks and skid pulled, it gives me a chance to mark out my stud pattern, drill the holes out, and install the studs and backers. As usual, I'll be running Stud Boy's superlite +plus pro series backers and their power point studs. I've mentioned it in my other build threads, but tapping the backers about half way ahead of time makes a huge difference when it comes to the install. Once the tracks are studded, they're ready to go back in the sleds.

Step 9 - Cleaning the clutches, belts, and installing the clutch side brace
Yet another crucial step is the cleaning of the clutches and belts. These usually come covered in assembly oil so it's always a good idea to clean them up. Acetone will obviously work great on the clutches and I've always used Dawn dish soap and warm water to clean up my belts. Of course, if you're cleaning these off the sled, that'll give you some room to get inside the bottom pan and install a clutch brace if that's the route you decide to go. Ski-Doo's race shop has the perfect brace for this and can be secured with 7 rivets or bolts, whichever you prefer. With the abuse these sleds take nowadays, reinforcements like this help a ton.

Step 10 - Installing the coolant bottle protector
By this stage, we're getting towards the end of the build. Back in 2019, some racers were having issues with their knees hitting the side panels with enough force that it would actually break the coolant bottle off where it mounts to the chaincase. To prevent this, Ski-Doo's race shop went ahead and designed a protector that uses the existing chaincase bolt holes. The kit comes with regular M6 bolts, so if you're going this route, it's not a bad idea to go ahead and replace all of the chaincase bolts with similar ones. This should help prevent you from stripping the threads out when you're doing routine oil changes during the season. The last thing I do when I'm working on the chaincase area is throwing the zero clearance material on the recoil cover, which helps to ensure the recoil will work even if the motor has some heat in it.

Step 11- Modifying the side panels and hood
One of the last steps, aside from graphics, is modifying both the hood and side panels. Again, Ski-Doo offers a vent kit to help get some of the heat out from the clutch and exhaust so that's a must for us. We also take the time to reinforce the edges of our hoods with flex tape and shoe goo, as odd as that sounds, to prevent the Lexan from splitting or cracking when the side panels are clipped in and are being bumped into by the rider's knees. Trust me, these steps will help to ensure your hoods make it through a season. The only other thing I like to do is add fender washer to the headlight mount, giving the head of the bolt a little more surface area to reduce the chances of the Lexan cracking.

Step 12 - Modify the toe holds
I promise I'm getting to the end of it all LOL. For me, and many others, modifying the toe holds by adding material to the outside is a no brainer. I've talked about it in the past, but it's important to have material there to lock your outside foot in when cornering. I usually just run down and pick up some 4" belt material from the local tractor supply store but there are plenty of options. I know many guys use old limiter straps too.

So, after running through all of those steps, you'll basically be ready for practice or racing. It just so happened that by the time we made it through both sleds, Steve Scheuring's Klim Compound was open for business so naturally Jared and I loaded up the machines and headed north. The sleds worked flawlessly but we still have plenty of room for improvement before round 1 of the national series kicks off (hopefully) in January. Until then, we'll keep chipping away at things and getting in valuable seat time.

Before I sign off for the night, I want to remind everyone that the online site for ordering the official merchandise closes tomorrow night at 11:59 PM CST. Take a look at the tees, hoodies, and hats Matt was able to put together and support our team by purchasing whichever you prefer! The site can be found by going to http://petersen112gear.itemorder.com/

I promise to follow up again after our next test session this coming weekend. As always, feel free to comment or PM me with any questions you may have.

Thanks for reading!

Brian Petersen #112

1 - 20 of 29 Posts