Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a mention of this in another thread but wanted to start a new discussion about it. IS there anyplace we can legally ride off trail in the upper Midwest Mn, WI, MI? Where are all of the guys with the BCs, Freerides, Summits using all that track?

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
There is, but most don't know where is and isn't legal.
And that's the problem with this new cool segment that's closing trails.
All they know is they need a shovel to look the part..

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
seasonal roads. private property with permission.
lots of people in the Keweenaw run powerlines, but it's not necessarily legal.

·
Registered
424 Posts
At least where I ride in Michigan there is quite a few opportunities if we ever get enough snow to warrant it. However it is actually quite technical/challenging so most of the summits/rmks/etc you see are either riding big wheelies in farmers fields because it looks cool or riding the trail to the next watering hole. No joke was out a couple weeks ago and we had about 6 inches of snow and saw 2 guys on summit 154's.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm waiting to hear if there's a compelling reason to by a BC instead of a Renegade when I don't go out west.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
At least where I ride in Michigan there is quite a few opportunities if we ever get enough snow to warrant it. However it is actually quite technical/challenging so most of the summits/rmks/etc you see are either riding big wheelies in farmers fields because it looks cool or riding the trail to the next watering hole. No joke was out a couple weeks ago and we had about 6 inches of snow and saw 2 guys on summit 154's.
My local area is near the hideaway. You should see all the top HP 146,154,155,164" tracks in the parking lot, all brand new. Makes me shake my head. I havent seen snow yet that my old 120" sleds couldnt handle off trail around here. U.P. might be a different story. Its usually a stop in for 1 on the way home and be glad I left.

Edit: buddy just bought a BCX 850 last fall. Its a cod piece for sure. I havent ridden with him yet.

·
Registered
424 Posts
My local area is near the hideaway. You should see all the top HP 146,154,155,164" tracks in the parking lot, all brand new. Makes me shake my head. I havent seen snow yet that my old 120" sleds couldnt handle off trail around here. U.P. might be a different story. Its usually a stop in for 1 on the way home and be glad I left.

Edit: buddy just bought a BCX 850 last fall. Its a cod piece for sure. I havent ridden with him yet.
I was riding the first snow in that area last year at the start of January. Saw an SKS, Summit, Freeride, and Cat mountain sled there, and there was about a foot of snow on the ground. I ride in Cadillac so same area.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Private property. I also got real tired of digging my MXZ 120 1.25 out just trying to make a path through my property so the kids would know where to run their Z 120cc. I got stuck 3 times in my own driveway and cul-de-sac one day. Granted, not enough throttle/momentum each time. Northern lower MI. But with the Backcountry, no more getting stuck just playing around or turning around to get back into the garage. I'm standing on my summer-only-15-degree-incline-driveway taking this pic of stuckness on the 120 track:

IMG_0021 - Copy.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
213 Posts
I run the BC on the trail to the watering hole to get easy break-in miles. Still 6% left. Also put on a second belt at 250 miles to break that in for a backup.

·
Registered
213 Posts
My oldest needs an RMK Evo now. They deviate from the trail I make behind the house and the Z120 just buries itself. Might be slight overkill for the kids though but they won't get stuck as often I hope.

IMG_9938 - Copy.JPG

Attachments

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
I have a whole slew of short tracks (over 20) and I just bought my first brand new sled ever and I went with a 146". By today's standards, that might be considered a short track. I know I look at 137" like a short track now and I would never buy a sled (unless it's a collector) with less than a renegade length track. Even riding the ditch is so much better with a longer track...it eats up the bumps and rough terrain. A lot of reasons to like the longer tracks and it doesn't need to be a divisive issue. The traction from paddle tracks is pretty impressive and no expensive studs or damage to my trailer floor. Of course for safe riders studs are more about stopping than anything and I know I like em' for that reason too.

The funny thing is I've seen some changes that parallel this shift in the boating world where the preference for boats is has become a little divisive. The young people want wake & surf boats...the older crowd hates them for a whole variety of reasons (some of which I actually do agree with) and the result is a lot of hate and discontent. I hope the long vs short doesn't turn into the snowmobile version of that matter.

Anyway, my next build is going to be a fun one I think. I'm hoping to pick up a 900 Ace Turbo XRS this off season where I'll stretch it to 146 (or maybe 154) with a 2" paddle and add the 200hp flash from Hurricane. G4 Chassis+big power+long track+pump gas+no oil = BIG FUN

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
I'm waiting to hear if there's a compelling reason to by a BC instead of a Renegade when I don't go out west.
I stretched a 670 to 136" and then went riding with some buddies who were on 154" sleds. The could do everything I could do, but I could not do everything they could do. In fact, I buried my 136" twice in ditch snow that they were able to simply tractor right through with no muss, fuss, or fear. We don't have an extensive trail network in ND like there is in WI & UP, so we ride a lot of ditches and try to find big drifts to entertain ourselves. I'd say a lot has to do with where a person rides and what kind of access folks have to trails.

·
Registered
2021 BC XRS
7,505 Posts
I've had both and come up with no compelling reason not too.

The 146 is fantastic, I will never go back to a 137.

Short track maybe, 137 never.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
I have 3 137s one a g4, and a backcountry 146 g4.
The backcountry is an awesome machine, but if you aren't taking advantage of the 146 off trail it does nothing better than a 137. It pushes more in the corners, it's narrower and more tippy, and it's slower. I have had 3 backcountry now and i absolutely love them, but their trail manors though acceptable are no renegade. The c motion is really good and you would hardly know you have a 146 behind you, but it's no R motion 137 in the chop. You can take my thoughts with a grain of salt, but I own them both and have had just about every configuration and pounded them as I'm running 4-5k miles a year on groomed trail and running seasonal roads and breaking trails through about 3.5 million acres with no trails. If you are on the trail 80sh percent of the time, a renegade with DS skis and a 1.6 or 1.75 is a better choice.

·
Super Moderator
3,627 Posts
146 is a bit much for on-trail. It does span the bumps better, does brake better, does accelerate better at the expense of turning. You also get lower fuel mileage and a bit more vibration. That being said 3 of us in the group are on them having an absolute blast.If you go off trail it will go places the 137 cannot even think of. Even stopping in deep powder, it will just go again with no fuss.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts