Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a good friend with a 2001 polaris 700 classic with the kiehn d slides carbs. I am sick of stopping all the time for him to gas up. He is getting 9 mpg riding slow,fast doesnt matter. Could anyone tell me were to find jetting info or a polaris guy that nows if this could be improved? He will be getting an sdi next year but I would like to help him this year if possible. Thanks

·
ITs WINTER!
7,500 Posts
Is it actually running too rich (black plugs) or is it just a fuel burning hog (brown plugs) ?

If the plugs are indeed black/oily try stepping down the mains a size or two and check the plugs often for the first while for a nice cardboard brown. If the plugs are still dark try another size down till you get the nice golden brown.

Then you will want to keep an eye on it when temps or elevations drop, it will start leaning out even more on ya.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Did the 2001 classic come with M-10 rear suspension? Make sure the track is loose!! If he were to keep it longer I would advise him to add a tempaflow. They do help with mileage. Those 700's could be horrible on fuel in the wrong hands!
Or
Just put a thumb tack under the throttle (pointing out) reminding him to not put so much thumb pressure on the throttle. This seems to work real well on the slow learners out there! 05SDI

·
Premium Member
8,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
06MXZXRenegade800 said:
Is it actually running too rich (black plugs) or is it just a fuel burning hog (brown plugs) ?

If the plugs are indeed black/oily try stepping down the mains a size or two and check the plugs often for the first while for a nice cardboard brown. If the plugs are still dark try another size down till you get the nice golden brown.

Then you will want to keep an eye on it when temps or elevations drop, it will start leaning out even more on ya.
[snapback]685059[/snapback]​
I am not wanting to spend the time tuning kiehn carbs that I do not have parts for, I was looking for someone or a contact that has a proven starting point.

·
Premium Member
8,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
05SDI said:
Did the 2001 classic come with M-10 rear suspension? Make sure the track is loose!! If he were to keep it longer I would advise him to add a tempaflow. They do help with mileage. Those 700's could be horrible on fuel in the wrong hands!
Or
Just put a thumb tack under the throttle (pointing out) reminding him to not put so much thumb pressure on the throttle. This seems to work real well on the slow learners out there! 05SDI
[snapback]685078[/snapback]​
This does not have the m-10, will check tension. He is 60 years old and riding and the thumb is not the problem. I remember the early 700s being thirsty but I did not think they were this bad.

·
Registered
133 Posts
This may not sound right but 9mpg is close to normal. It would work out to around 90 miles per tank. The 01 600 xc I used to run would get around 100 miles per tank. The 600 ho I have now gets the same. If you can get 10 mpg with any carbed sled you are in the ballpark. I do know if the rave valves are stuck it can affect mileage though. Also try setting the raves on their tightest setting - screw the adjusters all the way in. This will keep them closed longer when your not running hard.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.